1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you go after Peyton Manning?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Yes or no

1. yes

54.9%
  2. no

45.1%
  1. plates300

plates300 Member

No way you go after manning. for what? Honestly, I hope Miami picks him up. Manning in a division with Brady and Rex Ryan? That's great entertainment waiting to happen. Miami can contend with Manning. They have the defense and plenty of offensive weapons.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Could be a hoax, but word is circulating that Peyton is considering retirement.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Kronos

Kronos Member

The guy sits out a year and everyone forgets how great he is. Happens every year in every sport with a player. He will come back and be top 4 QB again for 3-4 more years.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

so, you think miami would contend with manning, yet you are against us picking him up.

i don't know why i'm continuously shocked by this board, but the fact that 95% aren't in favor does shock me.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's not going to happen, but it would certainly be crazy if he could play like we know he could.

To have to deal with his passing ability AND Arian's running ability...that would be insane.

7. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

The actual percentage not in favor in the poll is closer to 45 percent (as of the last couple of minutes, in any case). I mean, for what it's worth...

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If your team's name falls in either of descriptions below, you need Peyton Manning, desperately . . . tomorrow desperately :

A certain marine-dwelling animal who wouldn't be caught dead at your games, unless it's forced there at will.

(2) An offensive term for Native Americans in modern times (or a type of potato chip that a Chef would

Another term for a horse, that is not a colt

You guy are about as intimidating a cactus wren, yet you run from city with Illinois's state bird and one of its former JV-level pro teams.

Named after a bird of prey and military airship, yet people don't always realize by looking at your name which is more of nickname/description.

If your team doesn't fall into that category, you just need to make a few adjustments, outside of the quarterback position to be competitive.

9. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Not a chance.

He's old, nobody knows how well he'll recover from the injury, and a large part of his success is based on many years of developing rapport and timing with the same players. I just don't see him being successful elsewhere for a variety of reasons.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

i phrased that poorly. i meant to say that i'm shocked that at least 95% wouldn't be in favor. expected to click on the poll and see an overwhelming majority in favor.

11. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Ahh, as much me misreading as the phrasing. Funny that it seems pretty much a toss-up in the poll, though.

Too many people still shell shocked at the results of being forced into relying on the backup to the backup for so much of the second half of the year.

Had Schaub stayed healthy and had we won two or three more regular season games (which I realize would not have been guaranteed but would have been likely), I wonder what the poll results would be?

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not really fair. Last year (the last year he was playing), Jacob Tamme caught the second most passes on the team, and he'd only caught 6 balls previously. Blair White also caught 36 passes as a rookie. Austin Collie had 60 receptions his first year with the team. The year the went to the Superbowl last was Garcon's first as a receiver, and he caught 47 passes.

Sure, he has the most success with receivers that are more talented and he's played with a long time (Reggie Wayne), but to say that's a large part of his success seems ridiculous.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

One thing I know about Peyton Manning, he is one of the few QBs in the league who do not need a all-pro receiver to be successful, though you could say that about most of the top 9 QBs.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You do realize Manning has played his entire career with Marvin Harrison and/or Reggie Wayne, right? And with Dallas Clark since 2003? All 3 are borderline HoFers.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Would Reggie Wayne or Dallas Clark even being pro bowl worthy, if it weren't for Peyton Manning. I know you are not hinting at those players making Peyton Manning.

Reggie Wayne took 5 seasons to reach his first Pro Bowl, and 3 seasons to reach 1,000 yards. Lowest numbers, since his 3rd year in the league.

Marvin Harrison didn't have his first pro bowl season until Peyton's 2nd year in the league.

Dallas Clark ... 1 pro bowl season. He's only had 3 seasons over 600 yards, while he is an average to mediocre blocker.

Marcus Pollard, Brandon Stokley, Jacob Tamme, Blair White, Anthony Gonzalez, and etc.

How are all of these guys getting all of these receptions?

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

In a heartbeat.

17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

yea he is old, but I think I'm one of the few fans that would take Reggie Wayne inn a heartbeat. He still has it. Opposite Andre and we have that push we need for a 2 yr. window

18. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

That would be awesome to get him, even for a few years. BUT if I were Manning I would care more about my health and retire. One more serious injury and he could be left paralyzed. NOT WORTH IT. Sucks though. He looks frustrated on the sidelines. Its sad.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Can you imagine pairing the best play action passer in the league with the best play action offense in the league?

You could see how this team would appeal to Manning. Weak division, great offensive line, great defense, stars at skill positions.

Problem is if he gets injured and we don't have Schaub... really would depend on what the doctors say.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If he's physically cleared for now and the rest of his life (ie no risk of permanent damage or disability), I would have a chat with the OC and QB coach.