1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you give up scoring in order to stop your opponent from scoring?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jan 15, 2011.

1. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

History is a great resource for us to learn about the future, you should ask yourself why did you learn history in the school dude....

Anyway, the difference between RA and JVG is
    RA emphasizes offense with an ok defense, but he never forces, he advices.

JVG requires defense with an ok offense, he does not advice, he forces, you don't play defense, you don't play.

2. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Ha Ha Ha. Valid point and well said.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Artest? when Artest was on the roster our defense was elite, better than any jvg team ever was, not that it was jvg's fault, he never had Shane and Ron guarding the wings...even with scola and brooks in the starting lineup

4. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

is this thread a subliminal shot at kevin martion? if that is the case then hell yeah i whould give up kevin martin's scoring for much betetr defense. great defense = great offense.

5. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

artest's defense was fabricated as hell when he played on the rockets. artest slacked alot on defense because he had to carry most of the scoring load when t-mac got hurt for the 1,000th time.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

So Kevin Martin = prime Bruce Bowen... Interesting thought...

7. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

naw i meant that i would move k-mart for a defender at sg in a heartbeat. his scoring average is not helping us win any games so eff k-mart.

8. Cheerio

Cheerio Member

But if defense isn't our top priority, than the defensive 2 guard won't help as much as K-Mart would.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I see. Indeed. If you score on a losing team, then your scoring is useless.

This line of logic is very sound. For example, if a great defender in the NBA is defending on a losing NBA team, then his defense is useless. Or if a great rebounder/scorer is rebounding/scoring on one of the most horrible teams in the NBA *cough*Kevin Love*cough* then that player must also be worthless than Von Wafer, who actually help his team win.

In the end, you're right. It's all about winning. That's why the Rockets grabbed winning player Ariza, who turned us from a lottery team to a... umm...

10. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

JVG had scrubs? JVG had a healthy Yao Ming, are you just trolling now? When Rick Adelman had a healthy Yao Ming, the team was literally the best defensive team that has ever put on a Rockets uniform.

11. seeingred

seeingred Member

defense is the time in the game when our players rest so they have energy to go score more baskets.

12. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

How are we still blaming this on Morey? This team was built with the assumption Yao Ming would be a part of it. Hell it wasn't that long ago reports were coming out that he would be re-evaluated in January to potentially let him off his 24-minute leash. I think he's done a hell of a job finding different options for Adelman to work with and eventually find that 8-9 man rotation with valuable assets to either trade or plug right in should an injury occur. Its not DM's fault Yao is broken, but at least we can finally move on. At least we're not stuck with a bunch of bad contracts.

13. co-nan

co-nan Member

It depends.
    Defense is really important and is actually a system but based on individuals.
    Each guy should have a relative defense level which will not destroy the defense system.

14. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

The best defensive team that has even put on Rockets uniform? Umm I followed that season and I failed no notice what you just clamied. Is there any proof that you can guide me to. Some stats, comparisons? Or are you just making this up as you go?

15. highstep

highstep Member

I would hope that this team does ANYTHING to get the W

16. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com...al=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=def_rtg

Never has a Rockets team been that close to being the best defensive team in the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

In numerical ranking, yes. By point differential, not so

The '08 Adelman team was 3 points behind the leader.
    The '07 Van Gundy team was 1 point behind the leader. And a point better on defensive rating than the '08 team

The '08 team had just what they wanted in hiring Adelman - better offense with the same defense. So it was a better team (when healthy). Though it ALSO had Luis Scola & Carl Landry and a determined Bonzi Wells to help that offense out. Which is something Van Gundy didnt have.

That was the big offseason "haul" of Steve Francis, Mike James, focused Bonzi, Scola, Landry, Brooks, Steve Novak.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I wished I could believe that but I think you're dreamin. Under Van Gundy, Brooks, Landry, and Scola would have all rode the bench because they couldn't and still can't play a lick of defense. Van Gundy hated rookies with a passion. If he did have Landry and Brooks, he would have buried their behinds on the bench and played Rafer and Hayes for 40 mpg, like he was doing when he got fired.

Van Gundy knew defense....but he never accepted the 82 game season and he never accepted injuries and he never accepted the idea of conserving minutes and keeping his team fresh for the playoffs, and he never accepted the idea that a balanced team needed some young, fresh legs to get them through the regular season and be competitive in the playoffs. Van Gundy couldn't see beyond the next quarter of the current game he was coaching in. And that was because he wanted a 6 man rotation and play their behinds off all 82 games. Van Gundy is a game coach, a game manager. He's not a season coach.

That is why every year we went limping into the playoffs with half our guys banged up and we struggled every playoff season under Van Gundy because our opponents were fresh and healthy. Van Gundy, by contrast, was trying to win the last two games of the season when we are already in the lottery. Bless his heart.

Loved the guy's dedication. Loved his defensive schemes. Absolutely hated his offense and hated how he abused players by overplaying them into the ground. Van Gundy is partly responsible for Yao's career injuries because he overplayed him and he wanted Yao to bulk up into a 350 lb block of granite. Yao played 30 pounds over what he should have played at all those years under Van Gundy. And Yao took a pounding because Van Gundy woudn't ever allow him to play the high post when the opponent was fronting him and collapsing on him in the post.

Landry likely wouldn't have been drafted, much less developed. Brooks likely would have rode the bench watching Rafer brick teardrops for another 4 seasons, and Van Gundy would have asked Morey to trade him for another retread PG after Rafer's shooting percentages fell in to the teens. And Van Gundy would have still been propelling his arms around like a helicopter after making his players dig on D for all 24 seconds for 47 minutes. He would still be expecting them to race down on the break after he completely wore all the rubber off their shoes. And the offense would consist of one guy dribbling around at the top, getting the screen and then either taking the jumper, or throwing the ball to the corner for the corner 3, or tripping down the lane like a 56 ford pickup with wooden wheels and getting blocked at the rim. You could have given Van Gundy DWade, Bosh, and Lebron, and he'd have them grinding it out in the halfcourt.

Van Gundy was totally against getting players that could score the ball and play offense and coaching them to play defense. Van Gundy wanted grinders and that's what he got. His record is a direct reflection of the talent that he wanted to coach. CD and Morey got JVG the players that JVG wanted.

19. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

We all want something that we don't have, but surely we can do better than this on defense. I hated JVG's rotation decisions; however, I really admire his dedication to the team. That said, he was very short-sighted in regards to development. On this current team, I would prefer JVG to handle it, because we don't have a Howard or a Alston that he could give minutes to.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Woah, not blaming him entirely.....just commenting.

DD