1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you give up scoring in order to stop your opponent from scoring?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jan 15, 2011.

1. J-Man

J-Man Member

morey built this team to SCORE he knows our only defensive guys are Yao,Chuck,Lowry,Williams,and Lee,and battier and even they aren't that good defensively.

2. soupman

soupman Member

I would be very glad to give up scoring for defense as long as I scored more than my defense allowed. :)

3. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

No actually he build this team to defend, as they were top 5 defensively when they were healthy.

4. TheLeBronBron

TheLeBronBron Member

They WERE... and that was under JVG. Adelman is known for his offense, this team is no longer going to be known for defense until we get a different coach.

1 person likes this.
  5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Almost ALL of those playoff failures were the result of injuries, not lack of offensive talent.

The one exception being 2007, but even for that, Yao was not back to 100% yet. Either way, that was an atrocious offensive team outside of the big two... Alston, Battier, Hayes rounded out the starting lineup with Head as our sixth man. Don't get me wrong, I love most of those guys (except Alston), but... *shudder*

6. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

That is the reality. The sooner management smell the air the quicker we solve our problems. And the problem starts with Aldeman.

Still to this day I thought DM showed no respect to JVG. I hate the way Morey handled the JVG situation, it was very awkward. Morey wont get rid of Aldeman so quick though because Morey seems to think nothing is wrong with Aldeman and this team.

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I would give up defense altogether. Offense offense offense

8. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

JVG ball is not the solution but defense over offense any time. The funny thing is, we are trying to be a team to plainly outscore the other team and we cannot even do that right. We don't have enough firepower to be like the 90-91 Nuggets or 93-94 Hornets. I would like to see the Rockets try to be all-out offense with Martin at PG, Lee at SG, Budinger at SF, Scola at PF and Miller at C ;)

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let Adelman choose the players. And then let JVG coach them.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Clutchfans. Filled with people who only understand black and white, A or B, Yes or No, offense or defense. So I'll share something to all of you who feels that the world is only made of extremes. Did you know that championship teams are team that outscore their opponents by a lot?

Yes, that's right. See, championship teams are the teams that generally opponents 90-80, or 110-100. Mediocre teams are the ones that either wins 90-88, or lose 100-102. See, it's not how much you score. Or how much you prevent your opponent from scoring. It's OUTSCORING YOUR OPPONENT.

But let's not let get facts get in the way of defense defense defense defense!

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Rudy's Francis/Mobley/Yao iso iso iso basketball was good enough for a mediocre offense. JVG's Francis/Mobley/older-Yao basketball was good enough for bottom 5 offense.

You give JVG the same players we have right now, and our offense will drop to the bottom half of the league.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I quote a post made before you to show your apparent ignorance.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

A lot of people think Les Alexander had a lot to do with the Adelman hire and Morey actually wanted to keep Van Gundy.

Personally, at THAT time if I'da liked Larry Brown at the time over Rick Adelman if they were going to change coaches. I also wanted Van Gundy to stay and wanted the SAME TALENT that Morey brought in for Adelman to work under Van Gundy. Thats where Adelman benefited I think. We gave Adelman Luis Scola and Carl Landry. Then later Kyle Lowry, etc.

If you think those guys didnt help, you musta somehow forgot a 22 game win streak. Or the previous playoffs where only FOUR ROCKETS scored the entire game. Then Ron ARTEST with VAN GUNDY? Artest respected Adelman, but McGrady and Yao already respected Van Gundy, and I think an Artest & JVG pairing would have been natural. Players like AB and Von Wafer might not have thrived but the team would been at least the same as it is now if you give JVG the extra talent

14. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Only 4 or 5 times (and most of those teams were bad teams period, like Golden State) has Adelman's team not been a good defensive team.

You're wrong, as is most of this board that claims to be knowledgeable about basketball.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Any 'system' can win with those types of players.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

defense is more personnel than coaching, thats why adelman's blazers and kings were elite defenses, yet this team sucks.

defensive strategy is essentially the same for every team, with slight adjustments based on height etc.

blind side shotblockers with elite athleticism like gerald wallace make the other wings look better than they are, shotblocking bigs like dwight can make 4 sub standard defenders into an elite unit, great p+r defenders like garnett essentially take a bread and butter move out of the offenses rotation and cost teams 7 or 8 points a game, making the entire defense look better, and so forth.

17. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Dude those stats you showed me goes to highlight your apparent ignorance. What does Aldeman's record 15 years ago have anyhting to do with what he is doing now?

I was comparing our clubs defense between the TMAC-YAO era lead by JVG and Aldeman. I dont know about you but I have noticed one thing. Now prove me wong if you can. BUT when JVG was coach our defence was awesome and since Aldeman took over it is getting worse and worse. Every year it is declining and guess who has been at the helm while the decline - Aldeman. Prove me wrong buddy show me how ignorant I am.

Aldemans Kings and Blazers records are totally irrelevant to whats happenning now. Why do you find what Aldeman was doing 15 years ago so important to whats going on now? How does what he did between 1991 and 2006 address or solve or even relate to the probelms now?

I always say forget your geeky stats and just watch the game if you want to know whats going on.

You better answer the 2 questions I highlighted in BOLD.

18. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Dude those stats you showed me goes to highlight your apparent ignorance. What does Aldeman's record 15 years ago have anyhting to do with what he is doing now?

I was comparing our clubs defense between the TMAC-YAO era lead by JVG and Aldeman. I dont know about you but I have noticed one thing. Now prove me wong if you can. BUT when JVG was coach our defence was awesome and since Aldeman took over it is getting worse and worse. Every year it is declining and guess who has been at the helm while the decline - Aldeman. Prove me wrong buddy show me how ignorant I am.

Aldemans Kings and Blazers records are totally irrelevant to whats happenning now. Why do you find what Aldeman was doing 15 years ago so important to whats going on now? How does what he did between 1991 and 2006 address or solve or even relate to the probelms now?

I always say forget your geeky stats and just watch the game if you want to know whats going on.

You better answer the 2 questions I highlighted in BOLD.

19. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I agree with you all the way bro. Give JVG Scola and Landry, Brooks and Lowry, Artest. Then give Aldeamn David Wesley, Jim Jackson, Juwan Howard, Scott Padgett, Ryan Bowen and Jon Barry.

JVG might not of had that 22 win streak. But more importatnly he could have taken us to conferance finals.

20. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Dude I dont claim to have any knowledge about basketball. I just call it the way I see it. What I saw was our defense being tight under JVG and he achived some success with a team full of scrubs. And What I see now, Aldeamn has/had a team full of guys like Scola, Brooks, Landry,Lowry, Artest but our defense totally sucks.

I give him full credit for the 22 winning streak that was unreal. But he should have had more success with the Arsenal he had.