1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you do one of these deals?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I was reading an article about the Wizards being at a crossroads as to which direction they want the team to go & thought I'd run a couple of ideas by you guys. Here's the article that I was reading.

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20020110-73728244.htm

Wizards standing pat — for now
    By John N. Mitchell
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Washington Wizards' 18-14 start represents the team's best break from the gate since the Bullets began the 1984-85 season 19-13. Having won 13 of their last 15 games, they are the hottest team in the league. Each game they play seems to be re-visited later that night as the showcase game on "SportsCenter."
    It is success that no one — not even Michael Jordan or coach Doug Collins — anticipated.
    But now they are at a crossroads of sorts. In a year when the Eastern Conference is clearly the NBA's minor league, the Wizards, overachieving in just about everyone's eyes but their own, are faced with a daunting dilemma: Should they make a trade that could make them a serious threat to reach the finals this season, or do they stay pat, leaving them with salary cap space in the future, and see how far they can go with the talent they have.
    Yesterday Wizards officials scoffed at the idea of trading for Portland's Rasheed Wallace, a former Wizard, pointing out that the deal would require breaking up this team — the trade would require moving at least three players — and taking on the remaining three years on the 6-foot-11 Wallace's $80million deal.
    "That's just taking on too much," said a team official, scoffing at the Internet rumor.
    Jordan said he still subscribes to the theory that a team must have three scorers to win a championship. Presently, Jordan is the only true scorer on the roster. When Richard Hamilton returns from a groin injury later this month, he is the team's other bonafide scorer. But as good as rookie center Brendan Haywood has been thus far, Jordan knows that he is not ready to take on that type of load this early in his career.
    "You have to go with that theory," Jordan said. "We've got great perimeter scoring. We don't have as much inside scoring, which I think I'd like to get more of to balance ourselves. If our guys are not hitting our shots, we have another phase of our game that we can go to and survive with. Defense is the key, but I'd rather have a little bit better balance offensively with the inside-outside game."
    There really aren't too many players out there that can help the Wizards in that category, and it might not be worth trading for them considering what they already have. The name most often tossed out is disgruntled Golden State center Marc Jackson. Jackson was set to sign with Houston this summer when the Warriors matched their offer (six years, $24.38million) to keep him in the fold.
    Jackson, used sparingly thus far, was headed for a likely rookie-of-the-year season last year, averaging 13.2 points and 7.5 rebounds before injuries cut his season short. However, at 6-10 and 270-pounds, Jackson isn't the athlete that the 7-foot Haywood is, and his upside isn't nearly as promising.
    As for trading for a low-post player in the last year of his contract, there is no one available worth trading for.
    The restrictiveness of the salary cap has forced teams to make decisions even when one does not appear needed, and last season's Philadelphia 76ers team is a perfect case. The 76ers reached the All-Star break with the best record in the Eastern Conference (36-14). But coach Larry Brown felt that the team needed an upgrade at center if they were going to have any chance at all at beating either the Spurs or the Lakers should they reach the NBA finals.
    So they traded injured, 6-10 Theo Ratliff to Atlanta for Dikembe Mutombo, marking the first in history that a team with the best record in either conference made a major trade that late in a season.
    The downside is that the Sixers did not beat the Lakers in the finals, and they re-signed the 35-year-old Mutombo to a four-year, $65million deal. Mutombo has been average this season and the Sixers are 15-19 (before last night's game). This time last year with Ratliff in the lineup they were 25-9.
    Perhaps the biggest reason for the Wizards to stand pat is the year 2003. Although they have missed the chance to sign marquee players such as Paul Pierce and Vince Carter, San Antonio's Tim Duncan can opt out of his contract that summer. As of now the Wizards will have close to $20million in cap space available.
    As for this season, the Wizards will be hard-pressed to make a trade that will make them much better than they are. Wallace is intriguing because he answers some questions, but ultimately he is too costly a gamble.
    And even though Collins has said that the team will make a deal if there is one out there that can improve the team, right now that deal doesn't appear imminent.
    Both Collins and Jordan cautiously advised that there are still 50 games remaining in the season, and that it is foolish to jump ahead three months into the playoffs. But that could change shortly. The Wizards on Friday begin a stretch that will see them face three division leaders (Milwaukee, New Jersey and San Antonio), and a Minnesota team that is breathing down San Antonio's neck. And even though they may have Christian Laettner back from a broken leg in time for the New Jersey game (Jan.16), they won't have Richard Hamilton.
    "This is a crucial time for this franchise," Jordan said. "We'll be playing for teams that could work themselves into the finals. If we do some great things in the next five games, I'm pretty sure people are going to start thinking, what happens when Rip gets back?"
    Originally the plan was to begin cultivating a better attitude among the young Wizards. But a nine-game winning streak and the overall weakness of the conference now forces the front office to view things differently.
    "We're getting to the point where now people are taking us seriously and giving us consideration for the playoffs and as a possible contender for the Eastern Conference," Jordan said. "As we continue to have success, we can see those dreams become a little more visual."

Before his injury, Laettner wasn't really very impressive this year. We might, let me emphasize might, be faced with the need to trade KT next year, due to a glut at the PF position. Obviously, according to the article, Washington doesn't want to mess up their upcoming available cap space, but they indicate that they'd like to get a low post scoring option. Here's a couple of trades that I worked up on (yes, you guessed it) RealGM. There might have to be some draft picks thrown in somewhere, but for now, I'm just talking about the players involved. Would you do one of these deals & do you think that Washington would be interested?

Trade #1

Houston trades: Kenny Thomas $946,920 to Washington
    Houston trades: Tierre Brown $332,817 to Washington
    TOTAL: $1,279,737

Washington trades: Etan Thomas $1,493,046 to Houston
    TOTAL: $1,493,046

Trade #2

Houston trades: Kevin Willis $3,000,000 to Washington
    TOTAL: $3,946,920

Washington trades: Kwame Brown $3,697,440 to Houston
    TOTAL: $3,697,440

2. Live

Live Member

Well, of course, #2 would be fantastic, but not realistic. Far too early for the Wiz to give up on Brown.

#1, however, isn't bad at all. I really think Thomas could be a nice defensive, rebounding, athletic C in the NBA. I'd rather see Thomas as a Rocket than Jahidi White. But Washington would have to sweeten the pot, so to speak.

3. Hottoddie

That's where the draft picks would come into play. On trade #1 they'd probably have to send us a pick & if trade #2 were possible, we'd definitely have to send them a pick or two.

4. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I like #2 but it will never happen.

Isn't KT playing circles around Etan Thomas? How would that work for our betterment?

5. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

I'm not sure how easily any of these trades would be; a lot depends on how the Rockets see the rest of the season going. If they're content to tank, I could see them clearing house to pick up players for the future.

Etan would be a great pickup for the Rocks.

Kwame would be as well, but it definately would be difficult to get him out of Washington. Not impossible though, Collins hasn't been pleased with Brown's effort on the court, he's called him out a couple of times on it before. So if the price was right I think they'd willingly ship him somewhere.

Like the article said, any trade's going to have to be cap neutral. That's the one advantage the Rockets have going for them in any proposed trade.

As for possible players the Wizards might take:

KT; he'd be useful as an overall talent for the Wiz although I'm not sure how well he fills their need of interior scoring. This is more from a lack of seeing him play.

Walt, Morris, Torres; Jordan and Collins have both brought up that they have no credible SF backup for MJ. If they could net a serviceable one with little or no cap hit, so they could pursue someone else for that position possibly they may take that option.

Willis; With White and Haywood one more presence in Willis could do the trick. He's getting very limited minutes now with Griffin's accelerated development so I could see him being moved if we could make a deal.

They won't want Tierre simply because they have a glut of PG's and with Jordan playing Point Forward as well they prefer some one else as a throwin.

How about these?

Washington trades: Kwame Brown $3,697,440 to Houston
    TOTAL: $5,190,486

Houston trades: Terence Morris $490,000 to Washington
    TOTAL: $4,436,920

or

Washington trades: Bobby Simmons $332,817 to Houston
    Washington trades: Jahidi White $4,413,375 to Houston (BYC Value $3,310,031)
    TOTAL: $4,746,192

TOTAL: $4,436,920

or

TOTAL: $1,493,046

TOTAL: $1,436,920

I hate to ship Morris, but I don't see the Wizards as taking Tierre, and certainly not Langhi. Then finally I don't see the Rockets letting Torres go either.

6. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

None of those trades make us better. The only one that would make us better is unrealistic.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why in the world would we trade KT's nearly 14 ppg and 7 rpg for Etan's lowly 2.5 of each? As much as I think KT is still a bench player when our team is fully healthy, any trade involving him should get much mroe value in return given his low salary. I like trade number 2, but even it is questionable. At some point you got to get some veteran leadership.

8. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

reasons #524 and #525 why trade ideas should be banned from this board.

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Some people seem to be overrating KT's trade value.

Not too many teams are in the market for a backup midget PF.

10. Hottoddie

You're starting to sound like a broken record. Is this all you can contribute? :rolleyes:

11. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

pretty much.

i get kinda bored when you guys stop posting those cato-raef deals and this is how i amuse myself.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I see Etan Thomas as a Antonio Davis type player. He's about 6'10 250lbs and unlike some players with this heaight and weight, he wouldn't mind playing center. Over his college career he got better every yr, from a walkon to all conference honors. He plays extremely hard and is a good rebounder/shotblocker. I doubt washington thinks KT is the final piece and they do have Jones, Leattner, and Brown at that spot. Maybe they'll give him up for hardly anything, who knows.