1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you do a trade of Ryan Anderson for Melo still?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Daddy Long Legs, Jun 1, 2018.

?

Would ya?

1. Yup - Get Rid of Ryno

142 vote(s)
    71.7%
  2. Nah- Melo is a cancer. At least Ryno will DNP without being a distraction.

56 vote(s)
    28.3%
  1. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

U do know his first choice was Houston right but ny would deal. U do anything u can to get off the knick they was going no where. So that's false what ur saying. It was basically the lesser of 2 evils

2. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

So you are telling me harden is a better defender then melo I love harden but nooo lol. It would work.

3. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Again learn how operating over the cap works. The one year less could hurt us. Getting anderson off the books isnt a priority. He has to be in used to match salaries. So we can acquire talent. Getting one year less just saves luxury tax and makes it where you dont have salaries to move out. Having anderson contract is hard to move but its one of the only salary matching contracts we have without gutting the team.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, that’s what I’m saying...Melo is more of a liability defensively than Harden is...Harden was fine defensively this past season, and he always more than makes up for any defensive shortcomings with what he provides offensively...this past season Melo was a net negative offensively in addition to being garbage defensively...there’s no way somebody could’ve watched Melo this past season and thought he was passable on either end of the floor

it’s like u saying that just because Harden could execute our defensive scheme against GS in the WCF that Ryno should’ve been able to...we all saw how he got exposed, Melo would get exposed too

OKC fans were begging for Melo to hit the bench all season, and Melo clearly would have none of it...maybe the case was that he just wasn’t willing to be a bench player in a place like OKC with that roster, but if he wouldn’t be able to accept that he’d have no business starting in Houston then he should be nowhere near this team

A bench level player who still thinks of himself as a star, isn’t comfortable playing a complementary role, and wants a lot of shots and touches while being extremely inefficient? Nah man, I’m good.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden is easily better defensively than Melo...Harden gets a lot of steals and deflections and is very good at defending in the post

his defensive performance in the WCF is something Melo definitely isn’t doing

U can see Melo making these plays?

Zboy likes this.
  6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Melo would of won Gm 7 for the Rockets. Melo would not have gone 0 for 11, I don't think he has hit 0 FG in a game as a starter playing a full game. Or 0-0 FG, 3 Fouls and -12 in 8 minutes. Let Ariza fly to LA and trade Anderson + filler for Melo, or have Melo opt-out and take a real pay-cut.

RasaqBoi and amaru like this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I get what yer sayin... the thing is Ryan's contract is negative value - at last check, around 2 firsts to take it off our hands...
    What are you going to combo with RA's 'salary matching contract' to get a team to give up something of value? What 'assets' do we have to garner a good player + make it worth eating Ryno's contract? If you're offering up EG, teams would be interested - ask them to also take Ryno's contract... I think they hang up,,, We couldn't get Melo the last time around because NY wanted nothing to do with Ryno's bloated contract...
    Maybe a year and half from now, at the trade deadline, someone has an interest in taking Ryno's expiring contract as a means to dish a longer bad contract - but thats a year and half down the road...
    Otoh, if we traded for Melo, we could still circumvent the cap to re-sign him - right?
    Spending money foolishly is never a good move... money wasted on dead salary, superfluous luxury taxes and repeat offender or whatever charges - is stupid. That's money that could go into buying draft picks, cash consideration deals, etc... i doubt Tillman is just going to be a blank check that is going to be fine with flushing 10s of millions on a remote possibility that some deal is going to materialize a year or more down the road...
    jus sayin...

8. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Ughh. You cnt go back and get rid of anderson. We have to deal in the present. You trade andeeson for melo. That means no lebron. It means no paul george unless you gut the core and the whole reason we were effective vs gs. Andersons contract is negative calue as a player but not as a contract. There are only 2 years on his deal. There are far worse contracts. Who cares about our first round picks. They are garbage 28th overall lol. 2nd rounders are actually more value.

Trade anderson for melo and you locked in the team we had this year for 3-4 more years with high tax bill still and no way to really get better. No way to add a star without gutting team. Trade the picks anderson and gordon to get the last piece. Go all in. Its time. If you are going to lock your team in you better not be betting on perfect health. Get the additional star now while you can.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Obviously you do your due dilligence and see if a better deal exists - in the present... if we have a legit shot at getting Bron for a poo-poo platter of parts n pieces - with Ryno's salary needed to pull it off - you do that...
    but unless there's a better venue to move Ryno's contract this offseason - you should take Melo, smile, and say thank you...

10. Zergling

Zergling Member

HELL YES. We need more competent mid-range shooters and right now we only have one. Also, confidence has never been an issue for Melo.

Look at Victor Oladipo! We've seen players blossom after leaving Westbrook consistently. Melo is also buddies with LeBron. That will only help with the recruiting efforts.

11. jacoby

jacoby Member

Melo was a net negative on the court for Oklahoma City this year, yet he still demands starter's minutes and touches. He said at his exit interview that him not getting enough touches was part of the reason the Thunder struggled so much. Really?

At least Ryan has no ego. He can be benched and a black cloud won't loom over the Rockets the whole year. What happens if Melo is unplayable in the post-season? He isn't one to take one for the team, he's far too ego-centric.

The only difference is that one year. Whichever contract can be moved with less outgoing assets is the one I would take. But if OP is asking which player I'd rather have on the team, contract and all, I'm taking Ryan Anderson every time.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Melo would have scored 10-15 but would have given up 40 points on the other end on defense.

13. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

No if you cant get lebron or pg this year you hold onto the contract to trade next offseason or at the deadline

14. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Is this really a question??? Im not the biggest Melo fan and he had pretty crappy year but most players do when they play with Russ.

15. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

It means no lebron , and no pg unless you gut the team. You hold onto the contract of ryno as an expiring trade piece next year. You are over the cap . You have to match salaries in a trade. Cant sign anyone. Need the contract.

One of the worst place to be is a team thats good but not enough snd capped out over the cap and have no tradeable contracts but your core pieces you already need.

We are going to be in the luxury tax for a few years. When we get that last piece the roster is locked and set pretty much. You want to make sure its good enough and have a plan if cp3 gets hurt.

#75 Gorilladunks, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Melo has all the negative qualities of LeBron without the skill level. LeBron thinks he is great and is. Melo thinks he is great and isn't (anymore).

17. Mr Chuck Norris

He absolutely is a better defender than Melo. I really question if peopler actually watch this team

18. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I dont care what people say Michael Beasly wins us game 6 and game 7. Instant offense. Good job Morey! Hope Tyler Ennis was worth a ring.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

28 years old - 25PER
    29 years old - 24PER
    30 years old - 22PER
    31 years old - 20PER
    32 years old - 18PER
    33 years old - 13PER
    34 years old - ???????

That said, I'll take a toothy blowjob for Ryno at this point.

luckyman76 likes this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh my lord.

Where are these turds coming from?

LISTEN. MIKE BEASLEY CAN'T PLAY AGAINST THE WARRIORS. HE WILL NEVER SEE THE COURT ON A CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBRE TEAM.