1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you consider a QB change at this point?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Eric Riley, Oct 9, 2014.

?

Would you consider a QB change at this point?

1. Yes - Bring in Mallett or Savage

146 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. No - Stick with Fitzpatrick as the starter (for now)

79 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Whenever the season is lost, and the chance of the playoffs is gone, Fitz should immediately be benched.

DD

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My hope was that BOB was the guy that put together the 3-second-pass offense we saw wreck people in New England. That Patriots line wasn't good for several years, but they adjusted around it and kept the war machine rolling. Need a guy with a quick release who can make fast reads. Maybe Fitz can do that, but right now, he either can't do it or the coaches aren't constructing that gameplan. Not sure which.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

CASE CASE CASE!

4. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I'm getting pretty sick of Fitz already but we don't have a much better option at this time.

I wonder if we could trade Clowney for Tom Brady straight up, haha. I'd take three years of Brady to try to win a championship. He would destroy with this squad.

5. dmoneybangbang

Probably the former.

6. dmoneybangbang

That is pretty un-realist of you to say, hopefully sarcasm.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Offensive line sucks as does Fitz.....Mallett will be much better than Fitz, but might get killed right now.....Still, bring him on....

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I want them to put in Mallet just so people can find out that it can actually be worse.

Houston fans are weird. Have no context whatsoever of what a bad quarterback actually looks like.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'm willing to take that chance and fully anticipate that outcome.

What gives you the impression that anyone thinks it's impossible for it to get worse?

We are probably going to have to watch a *lot* of bad QB play before we find our franchise guy.

[​IMG]

JJ's not getting any younger, might as well let 'er rip.

10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Seriously. They complain about the OL and then try and say that Mallett should be playing.

11. justtxyank

Tons of posts with phrases like "Put Mallet in...can't be worse" or "Mallet would definitely be better" or "It can't be worse than Fitz" or any other variation of those phrases.

Truth is that you are getting OK production out of Fitz. It can surely be worse. A whole lot worse.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Exactly how I see it. No reason to give up already and throw Mallet in there. If he played last night, he gets sacked 24 times and we lose 63-0.

13. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Fitz won't win you any games but he has been a decent game manager.

I wouldn't expect a change until we are out of the playoffs or he throws 5 interceptions in a game.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'd love to see those posts, because there are none I can find that fit that description within the last 24 hours.

In fact, every post mentioning Mallet recently appears to be either "Mallet sucks" or "Put in Mallet" (with no mention of him being better or likely to produce better).

Sounds like you're building a bit of a strawman, IMO.

Edit: I found one!

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

IMO, it speaks to the massive limitations of the vast majority of football fans that they think *RF* is the problem... Not TY Hilton continuing to absolutely scorch this secondary; not the ingenious onside kick that was a true master stroke; not the pathetic play of the OL, not the missed FG which made a late TD necessary, not the 24 points they allowed in the first freaking quarter... not even Andre Johnson freaking fumbling the game away.

Nope, forget all that, what that team last night needed was RYAN MALLET!!! Good gracious... Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a very good QB. But he's good enough for us to be competitive. We just can't have the rest of the team break down like it did last night.

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

Oh it definitely would still exist, Fitzy is a serviceable qb as a backup but not as a starter. His tendency to turn the ball over and poor reads cant be fixed PERIOD, lets move on.

17. justtxyank

There are a lot of posts saying "bring in Mallet" or "time for Mallet" or "Mallet next week" or something like that, plus the very existence of this thread. If you take those same posters and look back through their post history you will find "can't be worse" or some version of that meme.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This isn't true. Big Ben, Rodgers, Cutler, Kap they all get sacked a bunch and they are competent QBs.

Fitz is just bad I don't know why people make so many excuses for him.

1 person likes this.
  19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You're conflating being done with the Ryan Fitzpatrick show as being sold on the Ryan Mallet experience. Those two things are not mutually inclusive.

20. justtxyank

Being sacked doesn't equal bad offensive lines.

The guys you listed specifically get sacks by holding onto the ball and moving out of the pocket to try to make plays down field by extending the play.

Fitz is getting blown up. There is a huge difference.

But no, Fitz isn't "good" and is not in the league with any of those names you gave. If one of them is available to replace him with, let me know.