1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you be content if Brock was Schaub 2.0?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Houstunna, May 9, 2016.

?

Matt Osweiller would acceptable...

Poll closed Aug 17, 2016.
  1. Yes

48.7%
  2. No

51.3%
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And you must have missed the collection of talent that coached and played with Joe Montana...

I definitely believe there are players that handle high-stakes situations better than others - but I think it's physically impossible, in those moments, to consistently raise your level of play, which tends to be the narrative ascribed to players who are really just... playing to their potential.

I also think fans tend to wrongly assume players share the same perspective as they do when it comes to pressure situations. If a fan deems it high-stakes, well, then - it must be high-stakes. So fans would never think a late September game in Tennessee is high-stakes - but for players whose continued employment is judged on a literal week-to-week basis... I guarantee you, there's tremendous pressure.

Look at Ken Giles - are these early April games more pressure-packed than late September games? So why (if his struggles are indeed mental) is he having such a tough year? Because he doesn't look at this with the same perspective as most fans. *All* the games are important to him; his livelihood depends on his performance.

I don't believe I've ever called any individual a "winner" because, minus actual individual sports, no one player is responsible for a team's success.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hey Now! already hedging his bets on Brock. Smart move since this hero Schlub was a ****ing disaster.

Yes, Schlub was less than crap and he will never be remembered as a good QB. He's an after thought and will have as much of an Texans legacy as the parking lot colors at NRG.

#82 REEKO_HTOWN, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

I'm just happy we made changes on offense. There's zero guarantee that any of it will work, but at least significant steps were taken.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What bets, exactly, am I hedging? Or did you just reflexively fire off a post full of stupid?

The only thing I've declared is that we should know fairly early - beyond stops-and-starts generally endemic to so much turnover - whether he's the real deal, which, frankly, is a pretty short leash (roughly 8 weeks, if not sooner).

Schlub! Hilarious!! Not as funny as Scrub (get it?!?!?!?) - but FUNNY, nonetheless. Good stuff.

Honestly? Continue to spew stupidity and anger; it only serves to solidify your lack of football acumen. Yes, Matt Schaub, who posted a 94 QB rating over a five-year stretch, was "less than crap." OK.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I understand if people want to say that Schaub sucked during his last last year in Houston...he did suck. He was actually worse than just suck.

However, ignoring what he did for the previous handful of years is, well, ignorant.

He carried a 2:1 TD to INT ratio while keeping his YPA at 8 over that time.

Find me 10 other QBs during those 5 years that did as much.

6. raining threes

2009 Schaub, yes

Post 2009 Schaub, no

7. rockets13champs

I want brock to be more like peyton

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Brock is going to be way better than Schaub.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

No to the original question.

We need to shoot for the moon at QB. Schaub had one very good year, the rest ranged from solid to very bad. Need more consistency and closer to that very good level for me to be content.

Otherwise you have to bank on having a 2011/2012 level defense that forces turnovers like crazy to have a shot.

He doesn't have to be Rodgers or Brady, but if he can develop into Big Ben or Rivers level, maybe even Flacco, I'll be happy. That's what can make you a contender consistently assuming you are building and managing the team well at other positions.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No. My contentness will require him to be better.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

True, it requires overall team talent.

Though QB being the most important position in team sports arguably.... didnt Peyton Manning also have talented teams? Peyton can ruin his teams, but Montana cant raise his team?

It all makes logical sense. Several parts to a machine to make it operate, same with a team.

I too believe we can over-think the "Winner" label. A Winner doesnt mean some fairy tale-like magical powers conjured up to succeed. Thats a storybook narrative. It simply can mean "player you CAN COUNT ON to STEP UP" when you need it. Or a player that has TOTAL TEAM TRUST in the high pressure situations. It can be a fiery tough leader, can be a quiet player, but you know they'll come with their best (and maybe even MORE)

STILL, players are HUMAN, and require certain motivations for their human mental sensibilities - the individual player AND for the team/teammates. It generally IS the ILLOGICAL "storybook"-like ambitions that lift performance.

Players like Ken Giles don't always think "I have a higher ceiling than common pitcher, I am playing to my potential". They're thinking "I'm the BEST CLOSER in the F'ING WORLD!" and might play at a history making peak. Some will say its UNSUSTAINABLE and flukey (yes it generally is). Some will say THATS a "WINNER".

That said, I don't think all great play and all great success is "at-potential" / "at-ceiling". Thats not why players play, nor why fans watch. They play and we watch to determine winners and losers, successes and failures.

12. conquistador#11

the whole offensive unit playing as a whole will take time but it will get there. If they're going to do filo at center and newton at guard and tinker all over the place, it'd be best to do it in preseason rather than games 1-5.

I also don't think that our defensive backs will be practicing without underwear this training camp and pre season. the only player that shouldn't get any reps in preseason is Watt.

13. rezdawg

Why do you think Filo will be playing center?

14. conquistador#11

towards the end of the season B.O.B nearly salivated talking about newton and filo's flexibility. For a rookie to learn what has been described as chinese and french, it's going to take some time.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Coach said the same thing about Betgstrom and Martin's flexibility. They have actually played the position more recently. Only way Sua'Filo is playing center is if one of those two beat him out at guard.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If I had to guess, I would think the starting O-line after training camp would be:

Brown - Allen - Martin - Bergstrom - Newton

17. rezdawg

As far as Ive heard, Martin should be starting at C pretty quickly...and it would be a huge disappointment if that's not the case.

18. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I had someone that works at Reliant come into my shop and she said Brock is super nice and he has been working out with the guys a lot and trying to build chemistry. She said there wasn't any of this before with any of our previous QB's. I guess that's a good sign so far.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I hope he's better that last year:

20. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Um, Bengals 2013?