1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would u trade up for #2 pick to get Von Miller?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by woodtee, Mar 21, 2011.

1. woodtee

woodtee Member

Rumor has it that the Texans are considering giving up a 1st and 3rd plus next year's 1st rounder to move up to #2 overall to pick Von Miller! I think that's too high for Von and we will have to overpay him! If we wanted him, he coulda sat Matt Shaub in our Jax game and not only get Von, (at a cheaper salary) but also save an extra 1st and 3rd PLUS get 5 picks higher in ALL 7 rounds!!! Remember our ONLY great was when we picked 1st in every round!

I would rather trade down and get more, but if we did trade up, let's get Patrick Peterson. We can get #1 talent at #2 spot, solidify the MAIN weakness on our team, which is the secondary, NOT our front seven!!! We have tons of talent in our front 7 and Wade can do something with that (especially if we add help at OLB in second round or free agency! A talent like Peterson, everyone agrees is special and also solidifies our 2nd major weakness as well... The return game!!! Sounds obvious to me. Hopefully they are blowing smoke and really want Peterson, so they are saying Von Miller to not boost Peterson's stock... I don't know. All I know is that ONE great CB can make a huge difference (see how bad we were without Dunta, and he was only a good CB). Anyone agree with me?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Just curious, source or link to rumor? Thanks

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

Hell to the nah thats to much they can still get a good OLB in this draft.

4. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

If they feel as if Von is a Demarcus Ware type franchise changing defensive player then i'd say do it.

But on the surface I say no...

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Basically giving up a #3 and next years #1...I'd do it. I believe we have an extra 3rd because of DRob, I'm I wrong?

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Depends on what happens in free agency. So many holes to fill.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I don't follow the prospects much but I want to get Patrick Peterson.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Free Agency? You're talking about the Texans here:p

9. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

First, I grade Von Miller and Peterson equally. Both are regarded as elite prospects.

As to impact on the team and needs, we have zip at OLB and zip at CB. Conner Barwin is coming off a major injury and has no prior experience as a 3-4 OLB. Wade Phillips intends to use Cushing as a ILB, and will use him to defend the run and blitz inside.

A 3-4 must, absolutely must, have a hellraising OLB pass rusher. Miller is universally regarded as the best prospect for this need.

Peterson looks like an elite CB, though some experts project him to be an elite gamebreaking Free Safety ultimately.

If we could assume that we could get a decent CB in free agency, not an elite shutdown corner, but a decent #2 veteran corner, then I would chose Von Miller.

An outstanding front 7, esp with a hellraising OLB pass rusher, would help the secondary perhaps more than anything.

As for the cost of trading up -- I think that's what it will cost. It's a tough call but I think I would do it.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I would rather hope either Peterson or Miller drops out of the top 5 and trading up from there with our 1st, 2nd, and a next season #2.

I don't want to give up a #1 next season, but I do see Von Miller making a Derick Thomas type impact at OLB.

11. woodtee

woodtee Member

I have been hearing this on Sports Radio. Not sure how accurate the source is, but they seemed like they had some inside information. But you never know about these sports radio shows. They need to fill many hours every day and may just make up stuff to stay interesting.

However, many reports I've read seem to think Von would be a perfect fit for us, going under the theory that more pass rushing will lead to better coverage. I think that better coverage would lead to mare sacks! Peanut butter or chocolate? Anyway, finding good LBs is easier than good CBs, I think. An LB messes up, he has help. A CB goofs, instant TD (especially with our sorry Safeties)!

We got NOTHING in our Secondary!!! Got enough talent at LB! fix our secondary and we instantly are better, don't and we are screwed again!

1 person likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That'd be a horrible trade. How about they just draft well with what they have. This regime is hanging on by a thread, no way in hell do you let them start dealing next years 1st rd pick away to try and save their jobs.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Most likely the impact players will be gone before the Texans draft. Thankfully they won the last game to put them in this situation.

14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

perhaps it would be wiser to trade up fewer spots for Prince. some folks rate him better as a pure cover CB than Peterson.

I've seen some mock drafts with prince sliding to the texans, though I think it's unlikely that dallas passes on him.

15. woodtee

woodtee Member

I kinda agree with you, EXCEPT for the fact that (barring 2006) the TExans suck at drafting!!! if next year's pick becomes another Amobe Okoye or Kareem Jackson then who cares? But if we pick as cose to a sure-thing as you can get in a Patrick Peterson, I would do it.

I just think he's light years away from other CBs in the draft or what we realistically can get in free agency. I think we can find a very good LB in the second round (Demeco Ryans anyone?). Just my opinion.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Agreed, but 2 1st rd picks. That is STEEP.

17. woodtee

woodtee Member

I'm not sold on Prince. I've read he may slip to us as well, but I've also read he may be better at safety as well.

If we HAVE to start Kareem Jackson, like I hear Wade wants to do, while moving Quin to Safety, then we NEED a much better CB on the other end! Yes, signing Amumgha or Champ Bailey would be ideal, but come on! The Texans won't even try for anyone like that! Their philosophy is to pay for mediocrity in free agency while focus on the Draft to try and find "diamonds in the rough" or gems, but they don't!!! They reach on Kareem Jackson when EVERYONE reports that McCourty and Wilson were the next best available! Sure, some reports may have had Kareem's stock rising later closer to the draft, but you gotta go with talent, not JUST "Oh, he came from a good program. And we need someone who's ready now.". Yeah! Ready to fall down after every snap!!! I just don't get it!

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Kubes and Rick would risk the future to keep their jobs....

19. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

From what I've read on various Texans sites, the sad news is we will probably get a really late round pick for Robinson due to signing guys like Wade Smith and Neil Rackers which basically canceled out letting Dunta go.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I would only consider doing it for Peterson. In the first round you have to take the sure thing. You can't afford to miss with a bunch of Amobi Okoyes, Jason Babins and that other loser DT from FL ST......can't even remember his name. You have to take the can't miss no doubt blue chipper. From everything I have read that is PP.