1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would this trade make sense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ben Lusky, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Ben Lusky

Ben Lusky Member

I read on espn today that the bucks were shopping cassell. While we weren't one of the 3 teams mentioned, I think we could get into the race. If we moved mobley to the bucks for cassell, i think it could help our team. At least shake things up. It works for both teams. That will give the bucks a 2 to go along with TJ. It also gives us a vet pg with playoff and finals experience. This allows us to move Francis to the 2 spot, which has been discussed numerous times. I'm sure this has been discussed, but this article made me think about it again.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Aren't we trying to get away from PGs who dominate the ball alot?? :confused:

3. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

N0 FREAKING WAY!!

4. micah1j

micah1j Member

5. verse

verse Contributing Member

no it would not.

what purpose would swapping mobley for cassell serve?

6. Ben Lusky

Ben Lusky Member

The move would shake things up a little bit. With Cassell, we get a scoring pg, but he isnt quite the ball hog that mobley is. Look at the career numbers.

Cassell - 15.9 ppg, 6.1 ast, 3.3 reb

Mobley - 17.4 ppg, 2.6 ast, 3.9 reb

I'd take the 4 more assists over the 2 points anyday. It wouldn't be a major change in style, but after not making the playoffs in 4 years, it deffinatly won't hurt.

7. rainmaker

rainmaker Member

We might do it, but why would the Bucks? They need size... a low post threat. They have enough depth at SG already with Michael Redd and Desmond Mason... they don't need more.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Wouldn't having Redd and Mobley on the same team be kinda redundent?

Cassell is a good PG; I can see doing that. I would think Mobley might not be quite enough (especially in matching salaries), but I can see Karl giving him up for less value in an effort to break the losing culture they've developed there.

9. Ben Lusky

Ben Lusky Member

I kinda forgot about Redd. I wouldnt mind picking him up either. But Mason is a SF, and GP is all but gone. I dont think the trade is a stretch for either team, then again there is probably no chance it happens. I think it would be similar to the grizz and sac trading for bibby and jwill. Just making a change.

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

sam cassell's career has been spent as a point guard. cuttino mobley's career, with the exception of his rookie year, has been spent as a shooting guard.

don't you think that if mobley's career was spent as a point guard, his #s would look pretty much like sam cassell's?

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Why don't we give them MoT and our 3 guard rotation would be

Cat, Franchise, and Alien

vs

Cat, Franchise, and Moochie.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Doesn't matter now any way...Cassell was just traded to the T-Wolves

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=fanball-timberwolvescassella&prov=fanball&type=lgns

News
    According to NBA.com, the Timberwolves and Bucks agreed to a trade on Friday that sent Anthony Peeler and Joe Smith to Milwaukee and Sam Cassell and Ervin Johnson to Minnesota.

Views
    What an awesome trade for the Wolves! Kevin McHale finally pulls off a sweet deal. Yes, Troy Hudson was awesome in last year's playoffs, but now the Wolves have a true floor leader and playoff veteran to get them to the next level. This move also opens up a starting spot for TJ Ford, who was taken by the Bucks with the eighth pick on Thursday night. Gary Payton is not expected to re-sign with the Bucks.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Looks like Milwaukee is officially in rebuild mode.

Countown to the firing of Karl starts .........................now. :)

EDIT: Hmmmmm. Just realized that Karl is a Tar Heel. Maybe Jordan will keep him around for grins.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

During the preDoherty hiring Karl wanted the Carolina job (Kohl said 'no') and apparently MJ was good with Karl getting the position.

Besides, Mike has had great success hiring coaches of his own...

15. Ben Lusky

Ben Lusky Member

Not really, He brought in Doug Collins, but the Wiz still sucked. So far, Jordan hasn't been impressive with the whole GM/front office side of basketball. Kwame was his first big pick, his project. Kwame blows. Maybe Jordan will look better if Kwame eventually pans out. He made a lot of roster changes to the wiz and they still didn't make the playoffs. Maybe its just a bad franchise, time will only tell. I hope he doesnt screw up the bucks, but getting Joe Smith may not be the help he was looking for.

16. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sorry, you missed my tongue being buried in my cheek.

MJ the exec has been about on a par with Scottie the Rock.

18. Ben Lusky

Ben Lusky Member

yeah, woops, i didnt really read the whole post. i'm the idiot