1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would they want Walt?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

NBA.com is reporting that Toronto has lost Mo Pete for 6-8 weeks, due to a fractured index finger. Peterson's been playing quite effectively as their SF, averaging 12.6 ppg & is their second leading scorer behind VC. So, it would appear to me that they've got a hole to fill. Walt could fill that hole quite nicely. He's been shooting real well this year & with his expiring contract, would not be a burden to their cap space & would in fact, drop their team salary next year.

Keon Clark has been filling in for Dream very well & would be a nice answer to our center question, without disrupting the chemistry too much. However, I'm not sure Toronto would be willing to part with him. At least, not until Dream comes back. I read somewhere that Toronto had decided not to pick up his option year, but I'm not sure about that. Also, Toronto was trying to trade Stewart/Montross during the off season or earlier this year. So, here's a couple of trade scenarios that might get us Clark in the deal. We might have to give the picks we got for Dream back. Would you do one of these trades to get Clark? Would Toronto do one of the trades to temporarily fill their SF void, reduce some of next years salary, & reacquire their draft picks?

Houston trades: Walt Williams $5,000,000 to Toronto
    TOTAL: $5,000,000

Toronto trades: Michael Stewart $3,840,000 to Houston
    Toronto trades: Keon Clark $1,971,116 to Houston
    TOTAL: $5,811,116

TRADE ACCEPTED

or.......

Houston trades: Walt Williams $5,000,000 to Toronto
    TOTAL: $5,000,000

Toronto trades: Eric Montross $2,480,000 to Houston
    Toronto trades: Keon Clark $1,971,116 to Houston
    TOTAL: $4,451,116

TRADE ACCEPTED

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

No way.

Like you said, Clark is filling in for Olajuwon right now. Why trade one fill-in to get another?

So as Tor gets a new SF, who the hell plays C for them, Montross?

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Actually, Clark is in the last year of his contract and the upper brass for Toronto has wondered out loud whether they could afford to sign him considering the plethora of free agents they signed last summer. I know they are trying to get rid of Stewart's contract. Stewart is their Cato. Sounds decent for both teams but Toronto would expect more and I would not do the deal if I were the Rockets. NO MORE BAD CONTRACTS!

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Clark has been playing very well recently! (he's on my fantasy team as well) ;)

He doesn't score at all, but he's a beast on the boards and blocks, and recently (with Olajuwon out) he's been scoring in double digits consistantly...

I would have Clark on my team before Cato ANY day of the week...

He's not as cheap I don't think as everyone is making him out to be, but definitely worth making a call about.

:)