1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Scola average 20+ in current system?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rayrocket, Jan 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Viola

Viola Member

BTW, I watched a couple of the SUNS games this year. Scola can't defend a dust.

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I guess I'm in the minority but I think we'd have 3-4 more wins this season if we still had Scola given that PF is easily our weakest position. We are no "rebuilding". We are legitimately in a playoff run.

I was optimisitic that PPat was going to step up but he's fighting injuries (and he has since his days at Kentucky so I doubt that changes, sadly).

Scola has a high motor and would run run run. So I think he's an upgrade in the fast break dept over Patterson or Morris.

Scola isn't a "stretch 4" but he regularly hit 15-18 footers include baseline J's so I don't much difference between an 18 footer and a 22 footer. It still spreads the floor.

I think if Morey could rewrite history, he would have kept Scola. Who would have thought we'd be 7 games over 500 right now. NOBODY expected that. It's fair to say we are not rebuilding. Given that, Scola would be perfect.

...but, he's gone and we've moved on.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Scola look OK in this system.

4. sergio

sergio Member

Wow. Some of you have short term memory. Scola thrives in fast break games and will keep up with anyone. He only struggled with Rockets after we forced him to play center wich is not his bread and butter. Scola is a running power forward that the NBA was not ready for,now many teams expect PF to run run run. The PF position is evolving.

5. QazQay

QazQay Member

Yes, Scola is great in transition despite his speed. He goes all out every possession.

6. lalala902102001

Scola actually would be a better option at PF than both Morris and Patterson had he been on the team. With Harden and Lin penetrating he'd get a lot of open shots in the 15-20 feet range. I don't know if he could average 20 ppg (there are only a dozen or so players averaging 20 ppg this season in the NBA), but he would be effective. However, it was absolutely the right decision to let Scola go as has been discussed many times on this board.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm a huge fan of Luis and think he'd thrive in the current system, but I've moved on, on to a new favorite player from Argentina. Scola has become a Sun, and burns for them, not for the Rockets. My allegiance is now to Mr. Carlos Delfino.

Viva Delfino!!

8. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I don't know about 20+ but closer to 18+ with a few 20+ games.

That being said, the team doesn't really play toward his strength in post play, although having Harden would have probably given him better opportunities to score compared to last season at the end where every team doubled him because they knew no one else could score via drives to the basket or shooting consistently besides healthy Lowry and Dragic.

9. vator

vator Contributing Member

I like Scola, but it was time to let the young guys play and free up his salary for other moves. Too bad we couldn't get a pick for him though, but I assume part of the problem with that is potentially taking back salary. Young teams under the cap that could absorb his contract would likely ask us for a pick. Patterson, Morris, Jones, D-Mo, *White...it was time to find out what these "assets" could do.

As far as 20 points? No way. Patterson is getting 13 a night Morris 9. I'd give him 15 or 16 tops. Then he'd give up 19 or 20 :) This probably won't be a popular final take with Scola fans, but he is old and he and Dragic are the two leading scorers on a 12-24 team that is only getting worse and will more likely than not be 12-34 by the end of January.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Seriously, do y'all think that if Morey had a choice, he would prefer Scola over Delfino on this roster? Real question.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For every 20pts Scola would score, he'd give up 25pts on the other end.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You mean today? Right now? Delfino, of course. We're 21-14, which is crazy good. Delfino is an integral part of that. While I think Scola would thrive playing this system, why muck with success?

13. Pringles

Pringles Member

I wish Scola and Hayes somehow combined together.

Scola offense and Hayes defense.

14. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Scola would look okay.

15. sergio

sergio Member

16. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Does anyone read or listen to Morey's interviews? He built this team to be a high efficiency scoring team. They dont want anyone taking midrange jumpers. Scola takes 52% of his shots from midrange. Scola isn't a 3P shooter and never has been. I think he's 1/10 this year in PHO. Yes he's a very good midrange shooter, but that doesn't always translate to being a good 3P shooter.

The goal is quick scores in transition, high % points @ the rim(Asik, Smith), points and fouls attacking the rim(Harden, Lin) and 3P shooting(Harden,Parsons,Defino, Douglas, Morris. Patterson, Lin) to spread the floor or Harden and Lin. All of our top seven 3P scorers are shooting above 35% from 3P except Lin.

Percent of total shots taken from midrange this year.
    Smith 1.8%, Asik 3.8%, Delfino 12.3%, Parsons 13.0%, Morris 14.7%, Lin 16.7%, Douglas 16.9%, Harden 19.8%, Patterson 36.1%

Percent of total shots taken @ the rim this year.
    Asik 88.3%, Smith 87.6%, Lin 44.1%, Harden 40.5%, Parsons 38.8%, Morris 30.6%, Patterson 28.4%, Dourlas, 27.3%, Delfino 13.2%

Percent of total shots taken from 3P this year.
    Delfino 69.1%, Douglas 45.8%, Morris 44.2%, Parsons 42.5%, Harden 31.6%, Lin 28.5%, Patterson 20.3%

Lets be honest here do you really think a guy who takes 52% of his shots from midrange would fit in?

17. catch22

catch22 Member

Obviously you are an idiot and not a rockets fan. Scola's mid range jumper is money

18. catch22

catch22 Member

I am so sick with trolls like jj23, they haven't watch any rockets game before this year yet they behaves like they are the expert

19. sergio

sergio Member

Sounds like a good super-hero movie.

20. jocar

jocar Member

Can you make it any more obvious how little you watched the Rockets or bball pre-Jeremy Lin?