1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Rondo Be A Possibility?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLASH21, Jan 31, 2013.

?

Trade for Rondo, yay or nay.

1. Yay!

40.4%
  2. Naaaayyy!

59.6%
  1. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL No worries nothing wrong with being animated. But once again your post has nothing to do with what I said.

How can you be the leading assist man & yet your team runs one of the worst offences in the NBA? His lack of perimeter shooting is always a problem because the Celtic splay 4 on 5 with him out there. Look at Jason terry & Courtney Lee all talented offensive players who went to Boston & started to struggle.

My reason for not wanting him is mainly because I don't understand how he is can be a star PG & yet has consistently run a bottom of the NBA offense & I love our offense I don't want him jacking it up.

Also you do have a point that if you get a star pg you build a system around them. But if we build a system around Rondo what would that system be? A bunch of contested long 2's so that he can routinely pass up open lay ups to pad his assist numbers? Not getting to the FT line enough? Frankly I love the current system the Rockets run because it has an analytics bent & it prioritizes taken efficient shots. Rondo (at least the boston version) is the antithesis of our current system.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

[​IMG]

I don't understand your "long 2s" theory...

The shot chart Reeko posted disproves your point of him padding stats with throwing for assists with long 2s. He takes it to the paint a lot harder and a lot better than someone like Lowry would. And on top of that if/when the defense sags is when he can throw it out for an uncontested 2 or 3 not jacking up long 2s.

The Celtics offense is slow because they're stars, excluding Rondo, are all old farts. Every single one is over the age of 40, why would they run a Rockets style offense to tire out and ware their already worn legs. It would make no sense for them to work any other way.

It would be nice if you could provide some type of stat or inkling of this whole "padding stats by dishing up for his teammates to jack up long 2s" theory you have going. If you actually watch the games you can tell he runs the offense in the best possible way and still gets his.

3. Arthurprescott2

The chart doesn't indicate anything aside from the fact that Rondo can score at the rim and takes/makes long 2's instead of 3's. He even finishes at the rim at a lower % than Lin.

In essence, he's a ball-dominant guard who can take it to rim at will, but chooses not to since he can't hit FTs (~60%) - he takes it to the rim at around the same rate as Lin who has the ball far less.

Since Rondo can't shoot 3's, he takes long 2's instead (this season 132 attempts). And according to 82games, only 82 of this season's 419 assists have resulted in 3pters. Last season KG took 414 long 2's which were assisted 91.9% of the time (similar numbers this year - bulk of his shots too) - wanna guess who assisted KG on those? (bball-ref #s)

I do watch his games, and any Boston fan can tell you - Rondo legitimately leaves wide open lanes to the basket to pass it off at times. Whether that's to pad his assists numbers or PG instincts in appeasing teammates is debatable (I lean toward latter). You can argue he's a top PG (I think he is), but you can't argue that Boston's offense as run by Rondo is clearly the reverse of Rox's and inefficient as hell (no one gets to the line, not enough 3's, too many long 2's).

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

^^ What Arthur said

5. L7N

L7N Member

interesting...

6. L7N

L7N Member

A very telling thread. There's actually more Lin fans in Houston than previously thought. LOFs would love to see Lin shipped out especially with this coaching staff. Good on that, very refreshing to see.

We are also talking about Rondo here. It's Mr. Triple Double vs Mr. 4th Quarter.

7. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

So, the same fans who've been complaining about Lin all season because he can't shoot, passes up open looks to pass to his teammates instead & needs the ball in his hands to be effective want to trade him for....a PG who shoots even worse, passes up open LAYUPS to pass to teammates instead, and needs the ball in his hands even MORE to be effective....:confused:

Every time Lin misses a 3 there's a collective rage by the fans here, and even recently there's moaning about Lin missing some free throws...how will it be better with a guy who has a 24% career 3-point average and shoots 62% from the line?

Lin at least looks to be improving his shooting as the season goes on (has improved his 3 point % every month so far) Rondo's had the same numbers for about 7 seasons now and has actually regressed, he's hit his ceiling as far as shooting imo.

I agree with other posters who say an ideal fit with Harden is a PG who can shoot. I've always thought Jimmer Fredette would be the perfect fit next to Harden. Unselfish, terrific playing off the ball, demands a defender at all times and is an amazing shooter in transition, catch-and-shoot, spot-up, you name it. The one knock is that his defense is poor but it's steadily improving. He's probably been one of the best players on the Kings roster this season but the idiot coach over there underutilizes him. His playmaking skills/vision are also vastly underrated.

8. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

If the Rockets make a trade with the Celtics only 2 players really help:

1) KG
    2) Courtney Lee

We don't need Pierce, we are fine @ the 3 for a much lower price.

9. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Lin hasnt even played a full 82 game season and yall think Lin will be a superstar right off the back SMH it took Nash 4 years to develop. You guys need to be more patient. Talent takes time

LIN WILL BE BETTER THAN RONDO IN 5 YEARS- Yeah I said it

10. hltiki

hltiki Member

You're just asking for public stoning.

11. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

The beast is unleashed in Boston after Rondo's injury. Leading by 14 at half and going for six straight wins.

Coincident?

12. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Wouldn't trade rondo for Lin straight up. Rondo is more athletically talented but he's a locker room and franchise cancer. Teams are more than just a collection of talented players. Ask the Lakers.

13. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

locker room and franchise cancer? Do explain.

14. Postcall

Postcall Member

Lin Asik and Parsons should be about what it will take to get Rondo away from the Celtics. Not worth it but he is a top 15 player.

15. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

He is the most unpopular Celtic in the locker room. He's just not liked cause he's moody and angry.
    I like Lin's game better anyways. In two years I think Lin is better.

16. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

Unpopular? By the fans (fans voted him as Starter to the all-star game) or other players?

Kevin Garnett disagrees. Kevin loves Rondo. Rondo is a little KG. Rondo is passionate, not moody.

Rondo has been/is significantly better than Lin. I am no sage, so I won't try to predict how good Lin will be in 2 years, or how well Rondo comes back from the injury.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

So we just gonna ignore Celtics winning streak without Rondo.

BTW, who the hell is running the point???

18. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

With the exception of the Heat, who exactly have they beaten? People keep mentioning '6-0 without Rondo' but what they don't mention is level of competition.

The Kings? The Magic? A Chris Paul-less Clippers? The Raptors? A Lakers team with an injured Dwight and without Pau?

A combination of Bradley/Lee/Terry run the point.

19. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

"In a four-game sample size, the single most important variable is probably the team’s schedule. It might be possible to go even further: In a sample size so small, the schedule might be the only variable that really matters.

This is especially true in Boston’s case. Its four wins have all come at home. The first came against a very good team (Miami) that has allowed a disturbing number of its opponents to hang in until the final buzzer. Then came the Kings, 5-21 on the road, and 29th in points allowed per possession. Then the Magic, 2-21 in the last 23 games, and missing Arron Afflalo, Glen Davis, and Jameer Nelson (for the second half). That is something close to a D-League team. The last win came against a Clippers team that had lost by 25 in Toronto two days earlier and has now lost six of eight without Chris Paul."

20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

If I were Morey I would take Rondo without question for Lin & Parsons. If he didn't work out we could turn around and trade him for pieces that are more talented and fit better than Lin, and someone around as good as Parsons and possibly more.