1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Rondo Be A Possibility?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLASH21, Jan 31, 2013.

?

Trade for Rondo, yay or nay.

1. Yay!

40.4%
  2. Naaaayyy!

59.6%
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Not a fluke, but heavily influenced by playing with a bunch of all stars and a VERY friendly home scoring table.

But yeah, Rondo can dish, and he can play defense. So what, he can't do anything else. Like I said, we need a PG who can shoot.

2. kreia

kreia Member

Wait, do people actually think we can get Rondo? What do we have that the Celtics would give up for him? Unless they know something that we don't, like Rondo is too crippled to play again. If we were to get Rondo we'd be giving up Harden. No. This discussion is a waste of time.

3. pnr

pnr Member

What intrigues me is Rondo couldn't get his team to have a winning record playing next to two all-star calibre players and he himself being one as well. Their offense is constantly at the bottom of the league and the team is now 2-0 with him out and the team is also scoring more points on average now. Weird.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This is likely the case, but I find it funny that so many clutchfans are opposed to getting a 26 year old 4-time allstar who's a top 3 player at his position and is 4th among active players for triple doubles ...in just 7 years (only one who comes close to that is Lebron).

I mean seriously, please mail me what you all are smoking!

5. pnr

pnr Member

Wins for a PG should be what's more important than individual stats. Just saying.

6. Aruba77

He's won a freaking championship! Are you kidding me?

7. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Agree with Rondo was overrated. It's funny how people think he is their franchise player. He isn't. Rondo is probably tied with Pierce as their second best player.

Even at his age, KG is still a force in the paint and still a top 15 player. He and Duncan are ageless wonders. Celtics didn't seem to miss a beat without Rondo, but without KG, they aren't going anywhere. He is the heart & soul and their best player.

People are sadly mistaken thinking Celtics will begin their rebuilt after Rondo's injury. As long as KG playing at the top of his game, they will not.

If there is any consolation to McHale's recent woeful coaching strategy, I am just glad he is our coach instead of GM. He will trade Lin and Parsons for ACL torn Rondo in a heartbeat. Afteralll, he was the GM who practically gave away the future HOF to Celtics.

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

I gave you a really detailed response as to why I thought he was overrated & why I wasn't interested in him & all you said was I disagree

9. Aruba77

Not that it will change anyone's minds, but even the Celtics' GM thinks Rondo carries the team.

10. roxxy

roxxy Member

Once again nobody disputes that he is a good player. But there are legitimate issues with Rondo, how can you be the lead assist man & your team runs one of the worst offenses in the NBA? And because he can't shoot Celtics play 4 on 5. Look at Jason Terry & Lee's shooting with Boston & how it has fallen off the map?

And people can say it's Doc Rivers system but I seriously think it is the two of them, no reason to be passing up wide open lay ups so you can pass for contested long 2's so that you can pad your stats. That assist streak that he had this season was the most bull **** thing ever.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

stop it. it's arousing me.

12. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

Originally Posted by Aruba77 View Post
    This is likely the case, but I find it funny that so many clutchfans are opposed to getting a 26 year old 4-time allstar who's a top 3 player at his position and is 4th among active players for triple doubles in just 7 years (only one who comes close to that is Lebron).

I mean seriously, please mail me what you all are smoking!

I agree with this guy Rondo is the Celtics best player and future...Rondo would be a hell of an upgrade over our current pg..defense gets better, less turnovers,more assists....more heart passion for clutch moments etc....we would be idiots not to want Rondo

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We aren't getting Rondo...

14. Karolik

Karolik Member

He's a very good player but you have to be seriously smoking if you think he's a superstar.

15. Aruba77

because it's like arguing with someone over whether climate change is real. there's no starting basis with which to have a reasonable conversation. Perhaps that's a little strong. What i mean is ...

If you agree that Rondo is the best defensive PG in the league and a true "star" player, and one of the top players at his position, who is still young and hasn't even hit his prime yet....

....and your argument for not pulling the trigger on a reasonable deal for him is that he's not a good fit for our system, isn't that like being homeless, someone gives you a house, and then you decide not to live there because it's not big enough?

---forgive the poor analogies, but first you get the star players, then you build a system around them that takes advantage of their strengths. Then you put the complimentary pieces around them. I think that's the wise thing to do.

---as for Harden and Rondo not working well together ...I strongly disagree. Harden used to be an efficient, high percentage shooter before he was asked to carry the team, handle the ball, and essentially play two positions in the backcourt. With Rondo handling the ball, Harden will have a lot more open looks, he'll shoot for a higher percentage, and he'll still be able to get to the hole.

---if you are passing on Rondo for anything other than health reasons, i can't help you. Best defensive PG in the game, annual assist leader, NBA champion, 4-time allstar, 48%fg shooter, 2nd only to Lebron in triple doubles out of players in their prime ...I don't know what else to say.

and i'm hoping you take my animated post as just breaking balls. Please don't take it seriously. A little spice never hurt anyone. :)

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think trading for Rondo would be great just to see Lin with a better coaching staff. But Lin is and will be better than Rondo any day of the week when it's all said and done, easily.

17. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Are we assuming McHale would treat Rondo much different than Lin? Rondo would not put up with it and the whole league would be laughing at us. :rolleyes:

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Triple doubles are cool, but they're a completely arbitrary statistical achievement based on digits on a box score, of all things. Nobody goes around saying, "I wonder who the best player in the NBA is? Let's see who has the most triple doubles!" Some people look at PER, some at scoring average and assists, others prefer the eyeball test, some like to look at the success of the player's team, but I've never heard of anybody ranking players by number of triple doubles. It's more a neat piece of trivia than a real way to gauge how successful a player is.

See also: Javale's triple-double.

By the way, Rondo is not a top 3 point guard in the NBA.

CP3
    Rose (when healthy)
    D-Will
    Kyrie
    Parker
    Westbrook

19. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

There's numerous reasons that I can think of why the Celtics' GM will say what he said. But not this guy.

And then you have stuffs like these
    Go to any Celtics forums and their fans had stated his defense had regress significantly and that was before his hip injury. Publicly available advance statistics back them up.

This is the guy that also played with an unhappy Ray Allen. They are all spot-up shooters and you want to pair Harden, a ball dominant guard and one of the best P&R ball-handlers, with him? So overrated.

I rather trade for Jimmer Fredette and start him next to Harden, even if he can't guard a trash can.

20. Karolik

Karolik Member

Pretty much this, although I wouldn't include Dwill anymore and CP3 is in a stratosphere of his own.