1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Rondo Be A Possibility?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLASH21, Jan 31, 2013.

?

Trade for Rondo, yay or nay.

1. Yay!

40.4%
  2. Naaaayyy!

59.6%
  1. roxxy

roxxy Member

I actually think Rondo will recover well from his ACL surgery.He has a ridiculously high pain threshold. He dropped a tripple double while playing with a torn acl. And he has been remarkable healthy for much of his career.

KG is a better fit for this team than Rondo is. I would take KG before Rondo, not sure if he has a no trade clause though. KG will be gone before Rondo leaves Boston so at least he is a more realistic option (if he doesn't have that no trade clause).

2. 2twinocula2

2twinocula2 New Member

Having rondo in a rockets uni would be a great disservice to his skill set. Rondo next to Harden would be a one sided relationship with the beard dominating the ball. Now I love me some beard and love rondo, but it wouldn't be the best pairing... I agree with the other posters...an upgrade at the 4 spot is what we need.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Of course it is. But I know Morey, he's not going to set his sights on that one imaginary HOF power forward that is almost impossible to find and not be willing to make an upgrade anywhere talent wise.

There are only a few people that fit your description of who we are looking for and from what I can tell, they are not available.

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

Morey has said repeatedly that the next star player is going to be in the front court though. Like I am confused so your solution isn't to wait & be patient & see what happens but to go out there & just sign another big name to needlessly take up cap space for the heck of it without consideration of fit or need? Like the Rockets are in a very unique position have to try very hard not to muck it up, have to be patient. Like even Marcin Gortat makes more sense for this roster than Rondo. You never know what may happen, nobody thought that Harden would be available & guess what we got him have to be patient & bid your time.

And the Rockets don't need a HOF PF they just need one that isn't as bad as Morris or Patt. Remember Morey is also banking on the fact that Parsons Lin Harden continue to get better & one of our 3 rookies (TJ, Dmo Royce) develop into a unique talent (likely Royce or Dmo). I would rather stay pat, see how much better Lin parsons Harden get, see how our rookies develop, & wait for a interesting PF player to become available than go out & get a better PG for the heck of it & have to trade away guys like Lin Parsons Asik Rookies etc.

And Rondo doesn't strike me as a Morey type player for reasons i have listed above (whether that is because of Doc being a unimaginative offensive coach or Rondo not being able to run a better offense is up for debate).

Well whatever you are more than entitled to your opinion.

5. Sanity2disChaos

I was thinking the same thing. ....Beverly is a decent fill in until he returns. ....

6. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Can you guys visualize Rondo slowly walk the ball up on a team that Les requests to run all the time?

Rondo would rather just use his hands than his legs in games.

7. pnr

pnr Member

Rondo and Harden is a terrible fit. It's like what's happening on the Lakers now. People arguing for obtaining the most talent without looking at fit should look at recent Knicks and Lakers rosters. Lakers are below 500 while teams like Denver are on their way to a 4 seed with no all stars on the roster. It's more about fit than maximizing the talent on the roster. Plus, having Rondo would tie up most of the capspace in the backcourt and an upgrade on the bench and in the frontcourt would not really be feasible unless Morey finds a diamond in the rough somewhere.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Here's an interesting Morey quote for you:

When he said that, he meant he cannot be picky about the position of an elite player if he could make a deal for one, despite the offseason acquisitions of his starting point guard and center and the struggles of his power forwards.

“I won’t be picky about position, Morey said. “I’d be picky about quality.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...kely-to-tweak-rockets-roster-before-deadline/

I don't disagree that he would prefer a second star to be a frontcourt player but he is very clear that position is secondary to quality.

1 person likes this.
  9. roxxy

roxxy Member

Hmm interesting repped for pointing this out to me. But Morey also said explicitly that he would prefer the second star to be a front court player didn't he or am I mistaken? Not sure what to believe now...
    :confused:

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

believe aelliott because he's a BBS legend and seems to know a lot about the Rockets and NBA basketball.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

:)

I am not saying I think aelliott lied or anything. Just saying that I don't know what to believe when it comes to what Morey said thats all. He has said two different things that kind of contradict themselves is all. An interesting conundrum.

:confused:

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He's Boston's franchise player now. He won't go any where, they will rebuild around him.

13. Roxs

Roxs Member

Let's say that we do trade for Rondo. Let's think this through.

What would we give up in the process? Let's try to be realistic here to ensure that a trade does happen. Lin, Parsons, and one more bench player.

What do we get? An injured Rondo that can't play at all this year and at least half of next year. When we do get him for half of next year, he's not going to be as effective coming of a major injury.

So in 2.5 years, we get an upgrade over the current Lin (maybe). We still have a black hole for the PF spot. We create a hole in the SF spot. We lose a serviceable/above average PG (depending on who you ask) for 1+ years. And Rondo lost 2 prime years, but we're still going to pay him about 22M according to B-R and take up 11M in cap space and reduce our ability to get another frontcourt star.

Let's also ignore the fact that Lin is 24 and Rondo is 26, so who knows how Lin will develop in 2 years.

Is Rondo pre-injury better than Lin at 24? Yes, absolutely. Is it worth it to create 2 holes in our lineup for a chance at an upgrade 2 years from now when we already have one big hole? Unconditionally, no.

I dunno, pro-Rondo-trade fans, I don't see how a trade for Rondo makes any sense when you, you know, look at reality.

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

What he prefers and what he will do are very different things. Sure he'd prefer a frontcourt player but bottom line is that he needs to acquire a 2nd star. If he had the luxury of choosing then sure but that is not realistic. As we all know it is difficult to acquire a star and if given the opportunity you take it regardless of position.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Not sure how that was any different from what I've been saying in the past 3 pages.

Anyway, this has really turned into a "defend Rondo's value" thread more so than a pro-trade/non pro-trade thread.

It was just a thought of something that could or couldn't be considered, given his now health concern and slightly reduced trade value I thought it was something interesting Simmons pointed out.

16. TheGoldenGreek

It's tough because I think Rondo is right behind Chris Paul in terms of point guards in the NBA but his style is really not ideal for the way this team is set up. Rondo is basically the perfect version of Lin in that he attacks the basket but he is a much better creator. Rondo and Harden are both most effective with the ball in their hands. If the opportunity presented itself I'd probably pull the trigger on a Rondo deal just because he is such a high-caliber player but I still think the perfect point guard for this team would be Stephen Curry - a guy who can spot up from three and keep defenses from packing the paint on Harden.

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

Hmm yeah fair enough. I will have to think on it some more. Honestly I hope Morey does upgrade the front court though. I have always been a fan of having a dominant front court over a dominant back court & right now our front court is so soft it saddens me sometimes.

I know it is no different from what you have been saying that is why I said I don't know what to believe anymore because that quote certainly supports your argument & disproves mine.

And you are right I did really derail this thread my apologies, just not a really big Rondo fan LOL

18. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

At first I thought all this talk about Rondo coming to Houston....in reality if a deal ever truly came down, im pretty sure Rondo wouldn't tolerate this coaching staff at all. I didnt think he would get along with McHale, but I was assuming they would treat Rondo like Lin. Then I realized its Rajon freaking Rondo, and the mchale & Co. would probably kiss his ass a lot and let him run the show. If rondo did come I think him and harden could co-exist and it would be a nasty duo.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

C's having a healthy uptick during share-the-ball-reaction to Rondo going down. Asik/Douglas might just make the deal work today. But, regrettably, RR is not a fit for this team with this star and this coach.

Reasonable question, tho IMO.

20. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Lin plus other pieces is a definite possibility. The Celts aren't looking to get a foundational piece; this is blowing up the team. That luxury tax is a killer.