1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Rondo Be A Possibility?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLASH21, Jan 31, 2013.

?

Trade for Rondo, yay or nay.

1. Yay!

40.4%
  2. Naaaayyy!

59.6%
  1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yep, good choice.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Agreed. Or even Jrue Holiday

Rondo is a tad bit overrated in my opinion. He runs a terrible offense (bottom of the NBA) regularly whores for assists (passes up wide open lay ups for contested long 2's). The Celtics don't take enough FT attempts because of him (highly efficient shots) & they take way to many long 2's (most inefficient shots in the NBA).

Celtics are 28th in Pts per Possession, despite having the leading assist man - Rondo's offensive impact is GREATLY overstated.

There is a reason why Courtney Lee & Leandro Barbosa complained just a few days ago citing explicitly that Rondo pounds the ball. Players offensive game dies when they go to Boston. Look at Jason Terry.

Considering that Morey is all about efficient shots Rondo doesn't strike me as a Morey type player. Now to be fair it could be Doc Rivers offensive scheme or it could be Rondo I don't know. But yeah not interested, he isn't the best fit for this team. Jrue Holiday or Mike Conley are the ideal PG's.

I don't bet.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I strongly disagree. you don't pass on 4-time allstars who haven't even hit their prime yet; not when you are rebuilding and looking for a 2nd franchise piece. I don't care what type of offensive scheme you run; you don't pass on Rajon Rondo for reasons other than character. Character is the only legit reason to pass on the guy, and i don't know enough about that to have an opinion.

reconstructive knee surgery might also be a good reason, but i'm not a Dr.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

This thread is whack. I came into this thread thinking the overwhelming response would "Boston would never trade Rondo" and "This is a pipe dream." Never thought people would not want the guy.

Actually, I'd go further and say Rondo would be a very good fit on this team due to his defense. That's something that always get underestimated in any conversation in regards to "fit." Rondo and Parsons would allow Harden to always guard the worst perimeter player. He would allow for incredible flexibility in terms of switching on defense because of his length. On offense he's like a rich man's Jeremy Lin. Much better at going to the basket, and would take advantage of our stretch 4s, since he's used to finding shooters in Boston.

If we can trade for Rondo with Lin+young PF+stuff, then sign someone significant in FA, this team will automatically shoot up to near contender status next season.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

As much as you want a talent upgrade you also want proper fit. And despite his great talent for many reasons Rondo is not the best fit for this team. There are other PG's that are better fits namely Conley & Jrue. Even Lowry with his attitude problems is a better fit than Rondo. In my opinion, fit not skill should come first.

There is a massive difference between DH12 & Bynum that you can't see on the basic box score. DH12 is a transcendent player, LBJ level. He impacts the game in pretty much every way that you can think of.

Iggy on DH12 -http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21622844/behind-the-screen-inside-the-defensive-mind-of-andre-iguodala

"Or Dwight, it's hard to find a big that can get up on the pick-and-roll, stop a guard from going around him, and they just disrupt everything. Dwight Howard changes the complexity of everything, every game. Like with me, if you've got two really good players on the team, and I'm guarding one of them, you can clear me out, keep me on one side, while the other one goes to work on the other side. But if you got a guy like Dwight Howard, he controls the paint. It doesn't matter if you've got four or five great perimeter players in the paint at once, none of them are going inside the paint."

6. andersongo

andersongo Member

Trade Lin, Morris and picks for Rondo, the Celtic's franchise player who can't shoot a 3-pointer to save his life, so that he can fit nicely next to Harden the ball dominant guard who is the main playmaker in Mc Hale's winning Hardenball strategy? Manti Te'o likes this.

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

This doesn't make sense to me though, the Rockets 2nd franchise player should be in the front court not the back court (Morey's words). The 4 position is the glaring weakness on this team.

You may not care what type of offensive scheme we run, but Morey definitely does & Rondo is the complete opposite of a Morey type player.

I don't think character is a reason to pass on Rondo nor do I think his knee is a reason either. I am the person who wants DMC on this roster & he has the most jacked up character ever. I also really like Royce. So yeah, if a player is a good fit & is a talent upgrade then I am all for it irregardless of character. But Rondo isn't the ideal fit.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's all good and well but those PGs aren't even in the conversation of becoming available. And neither is Mike Conley.

You guys are being so nearsighted its truly unbelieveable.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

And Rondo is in the conversation of being available?

Just because Simmons suggests that Rondo may become available doesn't mean it is fact. Like lets be sensible here, Rondo is the Celtics franchise player, best player on that team. The same player that Doc alienated Ray Allen for. You seriously see the Celtics trading him?

I agree Jrue nor Conley are going to be Rockets any time soon, but neither is Rondo.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

They were shopping him around last year.

So yes it's more likely for him to be traded than Holliday or Conley.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I didn't even know that was possible

12. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Wow, I knew there was some flawed thinking in these here parts, but Lin plus valuable assets for Rondo?

Either Celitics spies have infiltrated CF, or we have many that I would say have problems in their reality testing.

You don't trade Lin for Rondo, Tonto. Even straight up.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Rondo is ALWAYS in trade rumours and none of them are ever realistically going to happen. I thought everybody knew this already. The reason why they do that is because Rondo tends to lose focus so the Celtics spur on false trade rumours to light a fire under his butt. Neither Rondo, or Conley or Jrue are realistic acquisitions for the Rockets any time soon.

I thought it was funny that you called be nearsighted when it is very clear that the Rockets biggest issue is at the 4 spot not in the back court. Rondo's ability to pass to shooters doesn't change the fact that the Rockets lack a 4 who can defend well, rebound well & can run the PNR like a champ. This is the Rockets biggest need not some PG that is unattainable & doesn't even address the rockets biggest weakness.

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

LMAO believe it or not but I am a really big fan of Royce's talent & potential. :)

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's some story, great imagination you have there roxxy.

Like I said, you take every opportunity of making a major upgrade at any position when it becomes possible. If Chris Paul becomes available this offseason via free agency we're going to all come here and say HECK NO we got Lin, we don't need no stinkin' point gaurd we need a strong PF that can do basically what our HOF center Hakeem did for us.

Well... don't see many of those walking around so....

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

That isn't a story Boston beat writers wrote an article about that last year when the trade rumours were happening & Rondo responded with like 5 triple doubles in a row, I will try & find the link for it.

Once again how does CP3 adress the glaring weakness at the 4 spot? Do you even agree that the 4 is the weakest position on this roster?

Do you want all the cap space to be tied up in two players Harden & CP3 (a great back court tandem for sure) & have little money to upgrade the front court?

Do you know more than Morey who has said repeatedly that the 2nd star talent will be a front court player?

17. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

Don't torn ACL's take a year to heal? He might not be good for the next half of the season.

Rondo for Lin + Others + Picks? Most people would straight up say yes. But I sorta agree with roxxy here. Rondo seems to me like he plays slow. Slows the offense down a lot. This run run run offense would have to change for Rondo I think especially off that injury.

Other than that, I would straight up make the trade. Didn't Rondo score 50 in the playoffs one time? Might be a chemistry problem with Harden. But if Harden can sacrifice his ball dominance, it could be a thing of beauty.

18. Arthurprescott2

I LOVE Rondo. I live in Boston so it sorta comes with the territory and I've watched a vast majority of Celtics games while living here for the past 5 years.

Roxxy's got a point about Rondo's seeming inability to pull a top tier offense out of the Celts - though I put more of the blame on Doc's lack of creativity.

The most important point that's being overlooked here is the fact that Rondo just tore his ACL. Normally a career-ending injury that players are starting to come back from recently.

Point is - we don't know in what condition Rondo will come back and we don't know when that will be - some players come back within a year - but they don't get to 100% for another year after or so. Add that concern to Rondo's inability to spread the floor. Then add in the fact that Rondo literally needs the ball in his hands every single possession to be effective now - we've got some major red flags.

19. Sketzophrenic

Sketzophrenic Member

maybe if boston decides to rebuild next year. just trade jeremy lin with our young talents(dmo, jones and white) and aldrich or smith..

20. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

For Rondo I can wait that long. Morey even said they can't be pick in their next superstar. Lin, Smith and fillers would be enough and we would still have money for a max contract.