1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Michael Jordan have been loved as universally today?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GraingerGuy, May 19, 2012.

?

Would Michael Jordan have been loved as universally today?

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

With the coverage that athletes get today where ALL their moves are followed, every incident covered and just about every word is recorded, would MJ have been loved as much by the general populous?

I don't really remember reading stuff in the Chronicle about something bad that MJ did or how he laid into his teammates like crazy. Maybe that was just because it was a Houston paper?

Yes, this is just speculation, but I was curious as to what people thought

2. Classic

Classic Member

People love watching a winner. Mj was a winner. I don't think increased coverage of 'dirty laundry' would change that. I think so long as you're winning, you as a journalist look like a tool for bringing up minor character defaults in the eyes of a common fan. This is why journalists can rip LeBron without regard because he simply isn't a winner-yet.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Not everyone likes Kobe/Shaq and they are 2 of the greatest winners of this generation.

Today's social media basically exposes everything. Some might find MJ's cockiness distasteful.

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

He would still have a lot of fans but he would have a lot more haters. You can thank Social Networking for this.

5. t_mac1

You have to be like Kevin Durant or Tim Duncan to be in the middle ground. Nobody hates you, but then you're not as popular. Durant has won 3 straight scoring titles and his jersey was the #8th seller this year.

6. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Yes he would he wins so much more than lebron and wouldnt abandon his city to go join 2 other superstars.

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Jordan punching Steve Kerr in the face at practice, the gambling or the mistress? You never read about any of those things?

As mentioned earlier Jordan was the ultimate winner and was the flashiest player in the game. He would still be as popular (if not more) today. Jordan was as skilled as any player in history but it was his work ethic and his desire to win that sets him apart. He simply refused to lose.

1 person likes this.
  8. snc

snc Member

I'd bet a lot of that is to do with playing in Oklahoma, too.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

I'm shocked he was 8th even with him playing in OKC. If OKC win a title a lot of people will bandwagon to him though.

10. t_mac1

McGrady had the top selling jersey AND shoe for a 2 year period in Orlando.

11. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I think a lot of people knew what an ass MJ was. I hate Kobe, but I still respect him.

Also you are confusing love/respect. They didn't love the guy, they worshiped his skills, but the guy...I think most people could care less about these guys personal lives, their personalities, their vices, etc.

I wonder though, would Kobe be as dominant for so long if he played in MJ's era.

I think they need to get rid of the handcheck rules. Today's NBA is soft!

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Hard to say, his dirty laundry surpassed LeBron/Shaq/Kobe/Tiger Woods/etc combined. Everyone laughs at how many groupies and women, Tiger had. In reality, Tiger had a modest number of such, compared to most athletes. MJ probably tripled that number in 3 weeks. That may have been a none issue unless he got caught up into something grimy, but even these days he's avoided that and has never been naive, like alot younger NBA stars are.

The gambling and staying out late, not really.

The throwing his teammates and management under the bus and etc. Probably a few dislikes on that regard. There was a reason alot of stars weren't clamoring to go to Chicago. MJ had a reputation for being sort of surly.

The social Network scene, hard to say, but I think he would've used in some capacity, though limited. Courtesy of Nike.

He would've had haters, because of his personality. He was cut from a different breed versus Bird or Magic, but he would make for good interviews.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

I wonder what Jordan would write on his twitter if he was a player today. I don't think he's the type that would even have an account, but even if he did he'd hire some guy to write his entries.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

I think he would be like Kobe is today and that is twitterless.

People may hate to compare these two on the court but the type of love/hate you see with Kobe today is what you would see with Jordan if he was playing today in his prime.

15. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I think he'd do that, and they'd be pushing his products.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

MJ was a KG level of douchebaggery....

It's just no one cared back then

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

80s Jordan probably would have been a more controversial figure since he was a bit selfish and his teams couldn't get over the hump. Once he started winning, I think everyone would love him now about as much as they do now. Even when he was playing, a lot of the dirty laundry got aired on, in the press and books like the Jordan Rules.

MJ's smart though. He never made any comments about his personal life, and if people attacked or slighted him, he always used it as motivation on the court but didn't make public statements.

18. Mr. Boombastik

Probably not. Based on what kids think is cool today, yeah probably not.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Delete

#19 J.R., May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think it would be the exact same way ppl view Kobe. Some ppl love him some ppl hate him but everyone has an opinion. He's won the most titles since mj and many other accolades that come with being a great basketball player. I think the main similarity between mj and Kobe is their desire to be the best basketball players, not brand in the world. Some of these athlete now days forget why there making so much money off the court. Basketball got these guys in the position there in to get big endorsements and mj and Kobe never forgot that and that's why there widely regarded as two of the best and most respected players from there peers and fans because of their desire to be great.