1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Memphis Move Gay To Pay Gasol?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brandyon, May 1, 2011.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

No, most rational fans who watch the NBA can see that Rudy Gay > Kevin Martin. If you object to Gay's contract, I can at least understand the argument. If you think Martin > Gay, money aside, you're most likely a Rockets homer.

2. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Yes it does. I'm basing the salaries off of http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9190. The only one i found updated with an estimation of Z-Bo's contract.

I'm basing the their salaries based on the link provided above. I think it's considered on the conservative side given the incentives are factored in. How did you come up with the 52M? What did I miss?

3. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Their spreadsheet formula is broken and does NOT include Z-Bo's contract. Add the numbers and you'll find that out. With Z-Bo's contract they're at $55,243,000 with only 10 rosters spots filled - and without Gasol or Battier. Randolph, Gay, Conley and Mayo is $45 million alone next year. They can reduce that $55.23 million obligation by $1.73 million if they don't pick up Sam Young's team option AND drop Ish, but then they'd be down to only 8 roster spots filled, and still need to backfill Ish and Sam Young with comparable or higher salaries anyway to fill a roster.

Bottomline. Adding Gasol will get them to $65 to $70 million, and they'll still be short a full 12-15 man roster. I'm sure they'd like Battier back as well. They'll have some interesting decisions to make around whether to keep Gay and Mayo next year to be able to afford Gasol.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread pisses me off. Memphis received Gay and still managed to recapture Battier while we have players like Chase Budinger.

5. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Ah. Yes you're right. Their spreadsheet is broken. I was looking at the bottom figure as a total. I stand corrected. it's ~$54.5M pre-Gasol and dropping Ish from the roster. I do think they'll keep Sam Young given the productive minutes he has on the floor with a small price tag whereas Ish is nowhere to be found and Vasquez being the primary backup at the point.

Thanks for pointing that out. The play for M. Gasol isn't as far out as i thought it would be. One can hope...

6. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

To those upset that we got Thabust + the 1st rounder for Shane...

don't forget this is a move with a 2-year time span. We are aiming to clear cap space for 2012, when there is a better free agent market. 2011 cap space is of minimal value, except for Gasol who will likely end up being overpaid based on this year's playoffs. Meanwhile we get a 1st rounder who we can develop in 2011-2012.

It's called rebuilding. We intentionally sacrifice 2011-2012 so that we can bounce back up in 2012.

7. LongTimeFan

You don't rebuild by trading a role player, you rebuild by trading one of your more important pieces (Scola & Martin).

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not really.

Rebuilding is changing the way you construct your team, ie what is the focal point, the types of players you put around that focal point, etc. I think it is established that we are no longer building around Yao, while supplimenting it with Adelman's offense, hence we are rebuilding.

Trading Martin, just to trade Martin, is taking a step backwards for no reason. It seems to be apparent that the direction we are taking, in our rebuilding, is too trade into a new core piece and not tank into one.

There is obvious pressure to make the playoffs, because of our dumb short sighted owner, so your campaign to move Martin will likely fall on deaf ears.

9. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I assume we are trying to do that too.

It's realistic that we could tank 1 year and then be even better than we are now in 2012-2013 via a major FA signing, PatPat/Lowry development, and hopefully a lucky draft. I would prefer trading Scola now to clear more cap space and move up in the draft. Martin is young enough that he would still be in his prime in 2012-2013, and he is on a reasonable contract. We don't need to dump him too to effectively tank.

10. LongTimeFan

I don't need to hijack another thread with a Martin debate, though I don't see it as a step backwards for no reason.

The pressure to make the playoffs is extremely dumb and shortsighted, but it's a vision shared by more people than just our owner -- ie, several people on this board. The calls to fire Morey would be comical if they didn't belong to a growing number of people.

It's like everyone thought Morey was a top three GM and loved him.. and now he's looking more like a top 10-15 GM and people want to get rid of him for failing to live up their unreasonable expectations. Very annoying; hopefully our owner can see through the stupidity.