1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Harden/Dwight/Smith be the best "Big 3" in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Would Harden/Dwight/Smith be the best "Big 3" in the league?

1. Yes

190 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. No

333 vote(s)
    63.7%
  1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Possibly. Certainly you've got a dominant perimeter player in Harden with a solid post presence in Howard. And defensively even though Harden doesn't try very hard, Howard and Smith would be a devastating duo inside the paint.

But LeBron alone is so good that Miami might still have the better Big 3. Provided of course that Wade doesn't decline in ability too rapidly. Plus a Howard/Harden/Smith trio would have some offensive deficiencies. Both Harden and Smith shoot way too many outside shots and Howard's a horrible FT shooter.

2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Bosh is better than josh smith. If you were starting a team from scratch and you had to pick between the two you should take bosh.

3. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Parsons is going to become our James harden in OKC. I fear

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Bosh is underutilized/misused in Miami. Just a jumpshooter/hustle guy now.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Player for player, I'd still take Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka and James/Wade/Bosh. However, one thing I'd put in (hypothetical) Rockets favor is that Howard is a center. A position where the dropoff is huge after maybe 2 players(Howard and Gasol). So from a team-building standpoint, having a superstar center is easier to build around than a superstar wing. Whether it's Lin or someone else, I'm much more certain the Rockets can find a very good PG than I am of OKC/Miami finding an equally good center(or in Miami's case, true center rather than Bosh).

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dwight would KILL miami in the paint, then you have smith to guard LBJ, then the Harden vs Wade rivalry would start in the finals...hell yeah.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

All I see is clogged paint. Sorry guys. I'm just not high on Smith. He can score at the rim, but nearly everywhere else he's below average.

Jeremy Lin/WhoeverwillbethePG will need to hit multiple 3s a game at around 40% if we're going to space the defense out at all.

8. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If we're comparing only that lineup against Miami, OKC, Spurs, Memphis......I think okc and Miami with KD and LBJ respectively make those other two still a better lineup. I think the defensive ability edge goes to the rockets. Basically the best way I think to beat both those teams is to have someone elite defensively to neutralize those two guys which is the only reason why I'm good with smith. I think he's the best defensive option out there for those guys. Added firepower in someone like lma or love won't do any good bc we already have plenty of other offensive options. Harden > Wade and d12 >> than any 5 on those squads. With a dominate post presence and defensive ability to slow the two best players in the game, I'd like our chance at the other spots as our young team continues to improve.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No.

Miami has the best "Big 3."

LBJ is just that much better than anyone else.

I think it would be in line with Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka

Durant > Harden
    Westbrook < Howard
    Ibaka = Smith

Though I prefer Ibaka (bigger, better shooter), what they ultimately bring to the court is pretty similar, IMO.

10. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Not consider though is that this takes into account the best 3 players only. I think the rox obviously have parsons and still a few young rooks ( assuming they don't all get shipped out in s&t) that gives us some more depth and room to grow. Also assuming this group comes together you'd probably have the addition of some vets coming to play for the min adding the depth and versatility of the team. Basically beyond this three, there's still plenty of area to grow in and improve.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Howard would most likely be the best Rocket. I would have Durant by a little over Howard. Harden a little over Westbrook. I have Smith over Ibaka as he is a better defender and more versatile offensive player.

12. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Agree, and you have to think that if it wasnt for luring DH, there's no way Morey would independently pursue Smith. He's the 'anti-Morey' as a player - loves shooting highly ineffective shots (deep 2's, 3's) that he's very poor at making and is known moreso for his highlight plays vs. overall talent. But if it's the price for getting DH, he's got to do it.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Lebron James shoots 72% at rim not counting the FTAs. The clogged paint works both ways. As long as Lebron is not on the Rockets, I want the defensive paint to be clogged even if it means offensive paint is clogged.

That said, I am huge Asik fan. I think having Dwight and Asik tag teaming the 5 is more beneficial for the defense than Dwight and Smith. I like Lin, but I do prefer Smith over Lin.

14. dragician

dragician Member

on paper, i'd go with Nets. but if you include the birth certificate, they can't run for 48 minutes.

15. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Howard and Harden fit better together than any of the heat combos. Smith is a little hard to use but would play something like Ibaka for us.

Heat have redundancy problems but having everyone just defer to lbj is already damn good.

16. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

Harden> Wade, Bosh > smith Lebron> Dwight

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No, but we would have the best 4, and possibly as good a top two, plus we would be paying less for our top 3.

Most critical of all: we would be able to match up with them better than anyone else.

18. demarco1

demarco1 Member

Give me big five , Howard,Harden,Smith,Parsons,Lin, yo Big Five

19. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Chandler Parsons makes it a Big 4!!!

20. hbomb

hbomb Member

Will there be space in the paint? LOL