1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Dragic be playing this well if he was extended?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Apr 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its looking like the Rockets policy of not offering extensions to free-agents-to-be might backfire on them for the first time with Dragic.

That said, I think part of rationale in the Rockets approach beyond not wanting to bid against themselves is that players tend to give their best performance in contract years (see, for example, this paper). There are exceptions -- Aaron Brooks, for example.

Let's suppose the Rockets were able to successfully extend Dragic early in the season to a mutually agreeable deal. Would we be seeing this type of performance from him?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Kinda hard to ball with a boner.

1 person likes this.
  3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I thought this was a Carl Herrerra thread.
    But in any case no... look at Greg Oden. His large, extended penis was the downfall of his career! :(

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I think Dragic would play the same way whether he had been granted an extension or not. It appears he has one motor, and that motor is on perpetual overdrive.

Always liked his style of play and if some team thinks he is worthy of a large contract, the by golly, let it be us.

5. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Yes, absolutely, maybe even better because Dragic is not the type of guy (it seems to me at least) to play for the money but job security always helps. I think it would've affected Lowry a bit though, similar to Brooks when they extended Lowry's contract but not his. Only because of the injury and Dragic doing a superb job at starting, which is how AB lost his job so history repeating itself might play in the back of Lowry's mind.

6. conquistador#11

what maury's ibm and spread sheets are not able to detect are character and heart. Even when getting the award, he gave it to his teammates first. Of course he would be playing the only way he knows how to play. He is no sasha 'the machine'.
    If goran had self glossed himself then we would have reasons for concerns. =)

I feel the same way about lowry, and scola. They only know one way to play and that is all out.

7. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Apart from his recent games, did Dragic ever produce consistently? Suns gave him up after couple years, and he struggled as a backup with us. That's 3.5 years of inconsistent performance with flashes of excellance here and there.

Of course he performed in a starting role in smaller sample, and most of the sample come from the contract 'months'(yes, not even contract year). So he can give all out without concern about fatigure.

As much as I love Dragic's recent performance, there's no clear proof he can or can not sustain this. What I learned from history of Lowry/Lin make me believe it's unsustainable in the long run.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

This is a question of character. If you know Goran, you know he has character oozing out of every pore. Yes, he'd play just as hard.

9. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

I am following the Rockets less this season 1 reason only (managment). Their policy treats players like trash and we wonder why nobody wants to play here.

Why would Dragic re-sign with the Rockets, when he knows his next contract will just be another circus because we won't extend him.

10. Red&BlackPudman

very true

11. gregas

gregas Member

When did he struggled as a backup in Houston?

12. durvasa

I think its human nature to play extra hard, put in more work in practice, etc. when you're playing for a new contract. Especially when you're highly motivated to win a starting role on some team. I don't consider it a character issue, really.

If he regresses very sharply after getting a contract, then that's a potential character issue.

13. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Las season when he started he had a triple double and a few other games where he came either a few boards or assists short. He was also playing well then to when he started.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm sure the Rockets rationale is same as that of Kyle Lowry a year ago. No one's going to pay big bucks for a backup. Dragic was looking at MLE money at best on the market before Lowry's infection. Perhaps even less.

Extending Dragic before the season would've been insurance against Lowry sucking or becoming injured. Nothing else.

IMO, yes. Players want to start. Players want the spotlight. Lowry pouted in Memphis because they won't let him start. And he played extra hard when he got the starting job with the Rockets. Starting on a team is like an audition for backups to show that they're not merely backups. It immediately jacks your value for your next contract. You think Lowry isn't thinking about keeping his starting spot so 2 years down the road, he can get an 8-figure deal? For smart players, starting and playing 30-40mpg is an opportunity they simply cannot pass up.

15. durvasa

Good point.

16. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

14 points 7 assists 10 boards
    15 pts 7 assists 11 boards
    11 pts 11 assists 11 boards

Games he started last season. Al he needed was a chance

1 person likes this.
  17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think players know they just have to put up numbers to get the money...Goran goes out there and does more than that. He's playing to win, not to produce. Pair that up with his personality and i don't think he's just playing hard to get a new deal.

Plus, a lot of what he's doing is typical Dragic. Last season, right after acquiring him, i noticed how hard he played. I don't believe he's playing any harder now. That's the way he plays. His brother has the same motor and competitiveness.

18. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Keep in mind these are from weeks ago and don't include games past the post date (obviously).

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6736942&postcount=96

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6687614&postcount=60

He's always produced consistently when the minutes were there. And it's not out of the ordinary for a young international player to struggle in his first couple of seasons in backup duty, so I'm not nearly as concerned with those numbers.

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I haven't enjoyed watching these Rockets for the longest. I find myself screaming at the TV just like a freaking rabid teenage fan. It is that exciting watching them play and a lot of it has to do with Dragic's play.

Dragic pushes the tempo hard and forces his teammates to do the same. Very intense, very pleasing to the eyes. More importantly, we have been playing winning bb, having beaten such team as the Lakers (2x) and the Thunder (2x) in a row.

Playing hard all the time. That's what Dragic does. Pay the man. I would like this guy to be our starting pg for the next 10 years.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I 100% agree, if he keeps playing at this level he will be the greatest PG in Rockets history.

DD