1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Cavs be interested in Rafer or JLIII?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lost_ball, Jul 24, 2007.

1. lost_ball

lost_ball Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/...ailable-for-possible-Cavs-trade?urn=nba,40178

since cavs need point guards, and they have some decent power fowards to give, alston (JL3 seems going to NO for sure) for gooden or maybe sign-n-trade for varejo (did he sign yet?)

2. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

A combo of verajo and Scola would be downright frightening.......somehow i dont think Alston can net us him though :(

3. Vballcoach

Vballcoach Member

I don't see them giving us Gooden unless we REALLY sweeten the pot, but at this point you are simply looking to unload unwanted players for something useful. Even if that is future considerations it will be all good.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

5. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I would pass on them both, personally. That's my opinion though. Udonis Haslem is a completely different story though..

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Misleading title. This is an opinion.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'll edit the thread title.

8. Mad Max

Mad Max Member

I don't want to see Varajo here, he's a flopper and I don't want to see actors on this team! I want Haslem. I really think he's the perfect fit, I think the Heat are waiting to see if they can sign Pargo(sp?) if not I can't see any other options left of the Heat other than to go after Rafer, if not in the off season, I can see the rockets holding onto Rafer and offering him up when (I don't hope for injuries, but JWill has been injury prone) JW gets hurt.

9. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

It says "should" be looking out, but that doesn't mean anything has been discussed.

Do you think this trade is reasonable for both teams...

Houston Trades: Rafer Alston & John Lucas III
    Cleveland Trades: Drew Gooden

I think this is very possible. Cleveland has already said they don't really want to pay Varejao more money than the starter. So, This way Cleveland gets a solid point guard that can run the offense and get the ball to LeBron, Starts Varejao and Donyell Marshall backs him up. Rockets would upgrade the power forward position and loose unwanted players.

10. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Gooden has a very expensive - burdensome contract I've heard-though JLIII would complement David Wesley nicely if the Cavs re-sign him

11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

hell nah, the cavs aint gonna give up varejo or gooden just for alston and lucas. They think too highly of those 2 pf and we think too highly of alston and lucas. If i'd the cavs, i'd want alston and 1st rounder at least to give up one of these pf.

12. coogz

coogz Member

For Gooden? I'd give up Alston and a First Rounder... hopefully we're picking near the bottom of the first round next year anyway. :D

13. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Let's stop this Haslem Pipedream. I doubt that we can get Haslem this offseason for Alston/Sura/JLIII or others.

14. onethreeeleven

Lets stop this Steve Francis pipedream....

Seriously though, Anderson Varejao has a PER of 14.4, lower than league average. And he's slated to make something around the MLE, which I think is way more than he's worth.

Add to that, this:

"I'm confident we can get something done. The luxury tax is not an issue," GM Danny Ferry said. He added the Cavaliers would match any offer Varejao receives, even if it's above the mid-level exception of approximately $6 million.
    - http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pl...gnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1070&line=83401&spln=1

15. abundance

abundance Member

"should be" is the same as "not interested in doing it"

16. xishi

xishi Member

head/rafer for gooden?

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Cavs should do Rafe/Snyder/Deke and/or Hayes SnT for Varejao. If only because I believe AV is THE ONE!

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gooden has a bad attitude and doesn't play smart basketball.Combiine that with his contract and I say forget about it.
    Varejao isn't needed because we have a guy that will do the same types of things in Scola.(and at a much cheaper price)

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, but if we can't do anything else, he'd be worth taking because he boards like a mad dog and he can hit the midrange pullup and has some post game. He would be about the 7th option here, so you either play him or let him ride the pine and use him as a trade piece at the deadline, maybe to acquire one final piece. But, I bet he would fit in here. He is a knucklehead, but he would be behind a lot of other offensive players and RA could afford to jerk him if he held the ball or passed up open mates to jack the 17 footer. Oh, he is one of the best rebounders in the league and he can run the floor.

#19 jopatmc, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  20. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Gooden SUCKS screw him