1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Carl have developed this well on another team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jevon3012, Feb 19, 2010.

1. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

So, I was thinking about this question while I read articles praising Landry as a reliable low post scorer. During the Adelman era, we've taken seemingly low potential players(Scola, no athleticism. Brooks, too short. Landry, not big enough) and turned them into good high quality NBA players. Even Andersen and Dorsey were beginning to show signs of development. What do you guys think? Would Carl have developed into the player he is today on a team like the Knicks? I don't think so and thats why I'm pretty optimistic about what we can do with Jordan Hill, maybe even Jeffries.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think on most teams he would have still developed. I know we like to think our coaching staff is super special but I would be surprised if just about every other NBA franchise didn't also have assistant coaches and trainers who work with young players on their games.

I guess it's possible that he might have ended up with a team where he would have been neglected but remember, he fought his way into the rotation and then fought for more minutes. He would have done that anywhere. The fact that he was a second round pick also allowed him to do all of that without the pressure/expectations that a first rounder would have been under.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

he probably would be given the chance because he is undersized.

We gave him a lot of growing room.

4. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Speculatively? NO.

Heck, if roles were reversed and Landry had to develop in either Sacremento or NY, I think he would have been relegated to the END of the pine, if that.

imho, for young talent to really see the light of day, it matters WHERE and WHEN you arrive on a team. Some teams just plain suck at developing talent. Look at the Bucks. They keep getting great young athletes, top picks, and what have you? Dare I even mention (now journeyman) Yi JianLiang vs. Yao Ming. Who really had the higher potential? (no pun intended). Sure, us homers may say Yao, but Yi, back in draft day, was no slouch either in terms of potential.

What has happenned since then?

Yao's grown. Yi has not.

Yao received the CONSISTENT opportunity to play/get minutes. Yi has not.

Yao has received good strong support under JVG and RA. Yi has not.

Landry really benefited here in H-Town from every respect. And I think we'll do the same for Hill. The X factor with Hill imho is not Houston, but Hill's work ethic. Landry, as many posters noted, was a workhorse on and off the court. Can Hill do the same? b/c that would be necessary for him to move up to the next level imho.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

theSAGE

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

fixed.

6. ThaShark316_28

With the lakers? Yeah. With SA? Yep.

With phoenix? Nope, bad coaching.

Because see, that's the key. Its all about coaching. I believe that's the whole key on why Landry turned out to be such a good player.

7. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I think the Adelman staff provide some pressure for offseason training. If you heard the Martin interview, he said the staff always made him stay and get better in the summer. Also, I think a player like Hill can lose his work ethic if he thinks even if he works hard it won't get him playing time or if he thinks the coach doesn't really care about his development. That seems like the case with a coach like D'Antoni and Van Gundy.

8. choujie

choujie Member

I think he will.

RA said Landry beat everybody in practice, so he was forced to give him some minutes. Then Landry produced once he stepped on the floor.

At that time, he was more explosive without a post game. Now he has a fine post game, but lost a lot explosiveness due to those injuries.

Not a bad timing to trade him. Tmac should be traded when his stock was high, Battier should be traded when his stock was high.

9. Fuse

Fuse Member

Better question is if he would of even been drafted in the first place.

Playing in Purdue is not exactly the best place to build up your resume for the NBA, especially with the injuries and all.

There are not that many coaches that can see past short term success, and I think Adelman is one of those guys that are willing to gamble on youth.

Same reason why we traded Skip last year for Lowry.

10. Fuse

Fuse Member

I agree, he was either due a lot of $$ and will continue to be productive or has capped off due to injury issues. With his stock so high at the moment, we had to take a calculated risk and trade him, because we could not afford to keep him in either one fo those scenarios.

11. mazinger

mazinger Member

We tried last year but he blocked it when he announced season ending suregery.

12. anchel

anchel Member

Ok, but who's everybody, Scola? Hayes? Cook? ... I think he's been lucky to be here.

13. sbyang

sbyang Member

He's a self motivator, he would have developed just fine on most NBA teams.

The better question is: what teams could have screwed him up. I'm thinking the Clippers.

14. choujie

choujie Member

His stock was down last season. It was high after Utah series. Too bad Les vetoed Billups/Prince for Tmac trade before the season started.

15. choujie

choujie Member

Scola, Deke and maybe Yao as well. Landry was a athletic freak with strong hands and dunked everything at that time.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It depends

If he played for Larry brown, he may not be in the league anymore

Adelman is great at giving young guys a chance to contribute early in their careers, not all coaches would do that.