1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would anybody like to have Antoine Walker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UT Baller, Jul 6, 2000.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

The Rockets chances of getting Walker are slim and none.

I just read the Celtics and Pacers are working on a possible Walker for Croshere trade. Of course it would have to be a sign and trade, as Croshere is a free agent.

Also heard if that doesn't work out, the Celtics will trade Walker to the Bulls (he is from Chicago) to get enough room under the cap to sign Croshere outright.

Pitino wants Croshere very badly.

------------------
    "When your dead, anything's funny."-John Lennon

2. haven

haven Member

DaDakota: I understand that you admire his skills, and I do feel the same temptation... it's just a bad idea. Even if you don't give up anything important, Walker would STILL ruin chemistry. I mean, it's not just basketball: Walker is genuinely a jerk of a person... he's as selfish in real life as his game. Now, I know there are players who don't show a link between the two spheres, but that's why I don't see much possibility for change. BTW, I don't think I've ever seen Hakeem throw up the no-chance bombs that Walker does. The idiot will shoot fade-away 3's routinely... and he's not even THAT good of a long distance shooter.

I do admit that a Walt+Drew+Thomas deal would be tempting. I think I'd still turn it down though [​IMG]

Now, just out of curiosity...

Would you guys rather have Croshere, or Walker?

------------------

3. MManal

MManal Member

Antoine Walker is a player I would pass on. The Rockets need a small forward that can defend and fit into the team by shooting a solid percentage. An ideal player would be someone like Terence Morris who will be a senior next yr. I dont like how Walker is a terrible one on one defender (just b/c he gets a lot of steals doesnt mean he can defend) and how Walker has to shoot a very high volume of shots to get his points. Antoine Walker shoots a pitiful 43% from the field and takes a ridiculous 18.4 shots per game. What's the most amazing as has been alluded to in this thread is that Walker took 445 3 pt attempts this season which is insane for someone that shoots 25% from behind the arc.

Let's compare this to his teammate Paul Pierce who plays pretty much on the perimeter. Pierce shoots 44.2% from the field which is higher than Walker yet he is not deferred to by the selfish Walker. Pierce takes 15 shot attempts per game compared to the 18.4 by Walker. There is no excuse for Walker to shoot a lower percentage than Pierce. Paul is basically a perimeter threat, and Walker should be pretty much an inside post player shooting a higher pct, yet he is too selfish/lazy to do it consistently and shoots a pathetic 43%.

Also, Walker takes the same amount of 3 pt shots as Pierce despite the fact that Pierce shoots 10% higher. It is incredible that a player who shoots 25% from behind the arc would even think about jacking up 445 3 ptrs in a season. Yet Walker continues to jack from there even though it is horrible for the team and causes the team to lose. I would suspect that Walker's shot jacking has prevented Pierce from really blossoming into the stud that he is capable of. Walker is a cancer that makes the team worse rather than better, and there is good reason as to why Pitino wants to move him. On top of that, Walker makes the MAX and would hurt the Rockets cap situation. The Rockets would be better off trying to move Walt for free agents to be in '01 and creating lots of cap space instead of committing a boatload to this team cancer.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

4. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Sounds like we have never had a shot at Croshere. We are being asked to help his primary suitor acquire him or the Pacers are going proactive to BE ASSURED of getting something to offset the loss of Croshere. Now, why can't the Sonics adopt that attitude and help us with Rashard Lewis!
    Can anyone say KT, Drew, Los and $4.5!

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't.

[This message has been edited by RichRocket (edited July 06, 2000).]

5. writhe

writhe Member

Who was the last tall, white, jump shooting guy Pitino wanted badly? Travis Knight. Geez, what a bust. You guys are overrating Croshere.

------------------
    I'd rather be MC Hammer than Nine Inch Nails

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you say that Seattle can only sign Lewis for only 4.1 million, which is less than the exception alone?

That Croshere for Walker is a bunch of BS. Basically, for it to work, Croshere would have to sign for the max, or very close to it. Anyone here willing to sign a role player to the max?

Trading Walt, Drew, KT for Walker is too good to pass up. As I said, if it took even 1 first rounder, I'd tell them to take a hike.

I love Pierce, but there's a big difference between him and Francis personality wise, which could create a difference with how Walker HAS TO play on a team with Pierce as opposed to a Francis. Francis won't settle for being 2nd fiddle, and as far as support goes, I don't know a person in the Rockets who wouldn't support that. Walker would be forced to be the big man down low. He'd have to play the post the majority of the time, and if he doesn't like that, tough. He's still got time to learn, he's just 24. Let's not right off Walker as unchangeable yet.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

7. New Jack

New Jack Member

Walker has superstar talent. He would be the go to guy that the rockets need in the frontcourt. To me he has the potential to be just as good as Shareef Abdur-Rahim. All we would be giving up are a couple of role players.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

8. alaskansnowman

This is truly a tough decision. He's got a world of talent, but on the other hand he is a cancer. The question is: Can Rudy reform him? Even though Webber in Washington was better than Antoine, their situations are still sort of similar. I can't help but think that maybe a few years down the line, Walker will become a premiere star player like Webber is now.

But in the end, we prolly won't have Walker anyway. But if we could, I think that I would just take a chance on the guy. IN Rudy we trust.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

9. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I just don't know what Antoine Walker's stock is these days. I have heard rumors that Boston would love to trade him, and for less than what you suggested. I thought he would be a lifer in Boston due to Pitino, but I suppose not.

Walker started in the league with a flourish...was exciting to watch and all. Heck, he even had his employee #8 commercials. Now you hear nothing of him.

------------------
    HOOP-T
    ------------------

10. CAKoudelka

CAKoudelka Contributing Member

Well if you are looking to upgrade at the 3 spot, Walker's your man, he can shot the ball can drive and even has a post up game, not the best but he can get his shot off down there, I would take him over Walt any day. I know everyone will prolly say this guy takes to many shots, or some other knock against him, but I personally like the guy, I loved him at Kentucky, and wished the Rockets could acquire him via trade over the past couple of years, I would personally love to see him in a Rockets uniform

------------------

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I came into this thread thinking, "no way! I dont want Walker. He used to be a great offensive player, but never played any defense and his game has suffered a bit the past couple of years." But, maybe Im changin my mind. At least I will be if we can get him for Walt, Drew, and a throw-in ala Los. However, I dont want him if he has a hefty contract like Walt, and, if as you say the Celtics are trying to unload him for cap reasons, why would they want Walt? I mean Walt doesnt play defense eitehr and Walker is a much better offensive player, but I just dont see this trade happening.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

12. Gideon

Gideon Member

I'll pass on him. Anyone who has had that many conflicts with management and coaching sounds like a source of contention. Let the Celtics keep their problem child. Notice that over the past two or three years his name has been mentioned many times in the off season, but nobody has pulled the trigger on a trade. That says enough to me. He definitely takes too many shots, and will want to be the main guy. If we picked him up he would have huge conflicts with Mobley and Francis over who got the ball in the clutch.

------------------
    He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

13. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Antoinne Walker in Houston has a way, way better chance of becoming like Vin Baker in Seattle than like Chris Webber in Sacramento IMO.

------------------