1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would a perimeter defender be the cure??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bluffkin, Nov 13, 2013.

1. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Many people are saying we need a power forward to succeed, but I think we are actually a SG/SF who is a premier perimeter defender away from greatness.

Tonight a scrub like James Anderson should never ever close in on 40 points, it was ridiculous how easily he scored tonight, i know this is a knee jerk comment but it is inexcusable.

Now some may say Parsons is our glue/defender guy but it doesn't seem like it to me so far in the season, we all know about Harden and his potential on Defense but yeah, now on to Lin and Beverly they both play outstanding D but they are just both too small to guard the Lebrons, Kobes, and Melos. I like Jones's attitude so far but we need him in the paint to aid Howard for rebounds and blocks.

Instead of trading Asik for Anderson who will make this problem more prominent I say we trade Asik for someone like Tony Allen though this won't happen b/c the Grizzlies have money tied up with Gasol but you get my drift.

2. sun12

sun12 Member

I proposed this 4 days ago.

Actually I predicted that Morey's next move is to get a defensive SF.

3. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I didn't see it:eek:

But yeah I think it would be the right move for the team.

4. sun12

sun12 Member

I also predicted that Parsons will be gone.

or at least Parsons will be demoted to the bench.

5. nono

nono Member

In the long term you have to get rid of either Lin or Parsons for an elite wing defender. You can't have three mediocre defenders in Lin, Harden and Parsons playing together. This much is obvious. My guess is it will be Parsons to go, especially since his form has turned to crap.

6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

who's gonna be that defensive SF?

7. PositivityDome

Houston already has a perimeter wing defender. His name is Ronnie Brewer. You don't know about him because he hasn't played a minute all year yet.

8. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

9. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Tony Wroten; Iman Shumpert; Jeff Taylor or Terrence Ross.

10. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

I agree. I actually feel like Jones is a great fit for our starting lineup. So I feel getting a PF is unnecessary at the moment. Getting a wing defender to guard star players every night would be key. It's funny because I remember Harden saying he wanted to guard the opposing team's best player, but I don't think he's locked any one up thus far? (Obviously not counting this game since he didn't play). I think a guy like maybe Batum, Afflalo, someone along those lines that can defend and hit the 3. That'd be great for us.

11. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Exactly! Stupid McHale should have put him in on the very last play before the game went into overtime. What's the point in having him if you're not going to use him in defensive situations.

12. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

A lot of what cf'ers think is bad defence is suppose to be funneling their defender to dwight now. The timing and judgements are still a bit off, but man people need to understand that our wings are being told not to guard straight up but push to their non dominant hand to dwight (and tonight some tjones)

It'll come cf'ers

13. SugarLandDream8

Iman Shumpert? NYK are looking to trade him and Morey has robbed the Knicks blind in previous trades.

14. sun12

sun12 Member

It is very obvious. Harden is not a very good defender. Lin is only 6'3", he can't defend the opposing SF or taller SG. Beverley also can't defend taller SG or SF. So the natural step to do is to get a defensive SF who can defend 3 positions.

Howard can control the paint, I am not as worried about the PF position.

So that was my prediction 4 days ago. I think that's going to be Morey's next move.

15. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I also think Parsons is the odd man out b/c Haren and Jeremy can generate enough offense from the perimeter, but I didn't want to name this thread "Parsons has to go" or I would end up looking like a LOF saying "James Haren has to go".:)

16. awc713

awc713 Member

I think a lot of it is just going to be chemistry. Anderson was getting open looks because they screened so many of our players to get him good looks. Same thing with Reddick.

Obviously this must be addressed, but let this team gel a little bit before we start outsourcing for perimeter defenders.

17. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Rockets have a serious case of flu. You can't fix one symptom and expect to feel well.

18. sun12

sun12 Member

True, but I put it as the first priority. Instead, lots of fans call for a stretch PF which I believe to be of secondary importance.

19. Yellow

Yellow Member

Parsons - Harden is not a good wing combo, I have believed that for a long time so it's not now that both are sucking defensively and the latter offensively. Parsons not playing like he deserves anything near a max contract, 8 million tops, so trading him won't do anything unless you can pair him with Asik for a SF but who?

20. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I was about to mention him but is he worth Asik??? I wouldn't even trade Parsons for him.

It would be nice to have him and Jeremy Lin reunite!