1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst Trades in History?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Brando2101, Apr 5, 2017.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

so what? miami went on a huge win steak as well this year. What does that mean? They're still a bad team in this league. Nobody is saying GS is bad. that's not the discussion here. It's that they're not a finals team without KD and the previous years depth.

2. txn

txn Member

No one think this one should be on the list?

Phoenix Suns Trade Rajon Rondo to Boston Celtic

Boston Celtics Receive: Brian Grant, Rajon Rondo and Cash

Phoenix Suns Receive: Future First-Round Draft Pick (Turns out the 24th-overall draft pick in 2007, something Phoenix used to take Rudy Fernandez)

Rondo back then was one of the top PG in the league.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

a 20th something pick pg for phoenix who at the time had our very own Mike D'Antoni and two time MVP steve nash. Hmmm yeah not really in Phoenix's best interest for a fit in Rondo.

4. txn

txn Member

So the same to Bucks has an all star PF - Vin Baker, Indiana has Paul George and Danny Granger back then. The Dirk and Kawhi's trade shouldn't be consider as worst trade according to that.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

their big 3 couldn't co exist?

they were fine all the way to the finals only losing to a stacked and battle tested Miami team

they didn't miss him and didn't skip a beat?

what have they done since then? where are they now?

while harden single handedly turned Houston franchise around into instant contenders for years to come

fyi during the 2011-12 reg season

Harden's .184 winshare/48 was second to KD's .231 and topped WB's .133
    Harden's .605 TS% was second to KD's .632 and topped WB's .506

and in the playoffs

Harden's 2.3 winshare/48 tied KD's and topped WB's 1.63
    Harden's .66 TS% topped KD's .61 and WB's .538
    plus his defensive winshares was .4 compared to KD's .6, Ibaka's .5 and WB's .3

all that at age 22 in his sophomore year in the league coming off the bench

it was clear Harden was equally a MAX player as KD.. even more than WB

#65 vlaurelio, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Zboy likes this.
  6. shtinkee

shtinkee Member

Apparently I didn't make myself clear. I agree that the thunder played well after they traded James, but I disagree with the trade for the reasons I laid out in my post.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Superstar is different from being an MVP candidate. Irving, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, Paul George etc. are superstars but none of them are MVP candidates.

Also given the sad state of the Rox a guy like was gonna bring excitement because he is a star, look at how giddy the Mavs were when they got Parsons, and Parsons ain't even a star he's just a high scoring role player.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Harden also played from the bench so part of his OKC numbers came on bench dudes, its the same thing with Gordon now.

OkC had no time to verify if Harden's performance was the real deal or it was just part of contract year super performance, they didnt want to commit max money on him then see him plateau I mean look at Bazemore last year he looked like a better version of Ariza but once he got that contract he melted faster than ice cream on a hot day. Its thhe same reason GSW let go of Barnes in favor of KD they would rather take the proven superstar over the risk of Barnes playing good dye to a contract year, even if it menat they would break up a championship roster.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

but he was closing games

just by watching 2011-12 season especially playoffs, one would know right away that harden >>> barnes >>> bazemore >>> eg

barnes, bazemore, and eg never had win share and shotting efficiency better or equal with the best player of their respective teams

what james was asking I believe was just a little bit more than the current offer.. the ownership was cheap and the mgmt didn't see the writings on the wall

Zboy likes this.
  10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The Rockets have been on positive side of quite a few historically bad trades; stars for peanuts type deals.
    • Moses Malone from Buffalo
    • Clyde Drexler from Portland
    • Steve Francis from Vancouver
    • Tracy McGrady from Orlando
    • James Harden from OKC
    On the flip side, I can't find a single bad deal besides Malone to Philadelphia that has the Rockets on the losing end like giving up a star for nothing.

11. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Not sure I'd call OT "peanuts".

Zboy likes this.
  12. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Well, we can't really count deals where there were draft day deals such as Tyrus Thomas for LMA. A team wanted who was available at a pick... just bad drafting.

heypartner likes this.
  13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Otis Thorpe was one of the best PF in the league and coming off a championship season. We didnt trade Thorpe because he was bad. He was still good at what he had always been good at, defense and rebounding. We traded Otis because other than Hakeem we had no one that could trigger our offense. Besides, this wasn't super star Drexler we were getting and we knew it. He was not the same after his arthroscopic surgery but still an excellent player.

Since I have followed the Rockets, we haven't been on the bad end of a glaring terrible superstar deal but we did trade three picks and put all our eggs in the basket for Eddie Griffin.

Easy likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

The Griffin trade wasn't historic bad, but it was bad enough to set us back for quite a while.

The Francis trade on hindsight might actually be bad for us. It threw us into the endless mediocre loop for the better part of a decade.

Zboy likes this.
  15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it really is amazing that we basically got francis for nothing (although michael dickerson would've probably been something if he kept playing) and cuttino for a 2nd round pick, and then when they weren't working out swapped them for tmac. so we basically got tmac for nothing and a second round pick.

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

Tractor Traylor for Dirk

Olden Polynice for Pippen

KG and Peirce for tons of picks(that really haven't resulted in anything special..more role player talent but they have 1 last chance this offseason to strike gold)

Vlade for Kobe (though we all know Kobe and his agent let the league know that Kobe would only play for the Lakers)

Harden trade of course...

Brian Winter's p*rn stache for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Darrall Imhoff, Archie Clark and Jerry Chambers for Wilt Chamberlain

17. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

[​IMG]

18. ling ling

ling ling Member

Durant for Free?

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Ugh...Richard Jefferson was in the group of guys we traded for Griffin. He career really derailed.

Michael Dickerson actually played really great for the Grizz for 2 years before going down with injuries. I really don't know what to think about Steve. I thought he was amazing at the time but he just might have been the guy taking the most shots on a bad team.

He goes to the playoffs once in his career and it's in Yao's 2nd year and then he's traded. That's not exactly a testament to greatnesss. How hard is it to make the playoffs in the NBA? More than half get in. Still, he should have won that dunk contest.

Easy likes this.
  20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Tobias Harris for free. Bad trade Orlando. Serge Ibaka trade. Bad trade Orlando. Terrence Williams trade, WTF?

I think Morey knows he cant draft for anything in the first round and so thats why he keeps on trading them away.