1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst Trades in History?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Brando2101, Apr 5, 2017.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Pieces like bogut, Barnes, and barbosa are absolutely factors. They no longer have them on this current roster. It's not even close to the same team. So no taking kd off this team I do not agree they would make it to the finals

2. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Yeah sure he wouldn't have exactly the same stats today, why? because there wouldn't be as many touches to go around. Now Russell Westbrook is a monster right now, but if he had KD and Harden there would he even average 25 points a game? Doubtful. Same goes for Harden. You put him on a super team with 2 other ball-dominant superstars his stats would be depressed. Does that mean he's any lesser of a player?

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't think you the player you drafted using a draft pick really matters for this exercise.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Best trade in Rockets history was Clutch convincing Morey to throw in a 1st rounder to get rid of LOFs from clutchfans.

Ramo$e likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Is that a real question?

i haven't mentioned stats in this, not sure why that's even being brought up. Is that the only way youre able to define a player? Must be so

roslolian and heypartner like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The prime versions of Harden, Westbrook, and Durant would not have ever worked trying to play on the same team.

7. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

You're assuming that all three of them need to be ball dominant to be great. 2 of the 3 could have changed to a more off the ball style and with the right coach could have made it work.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I believe I'm assuming correctly - those 3 ball dominant alphas on one team would implode.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I think it actually was a basketball decision. The contenders back then were going with a twin towers approach and OKC wanted to keep Perkins for defensive purposes.

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

When Lebron went to Miami, wasn't he technically traded there?

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No. "Technically" a trade is the process of transferring a player contract from one team to another. A sign-in-trade first requires a new contract to be signed. It is signed on the condition (and written into the paperwork to the league) that a simultaneous trade occurs. Failure to execute the trade in 48 hours nullifies the contract.

So, it is in no way the same thing as a direct trade, since you can't trade a free agent.

Thus CLE had to get permission from Lebron to do a simultaneously sign and trade. Thus, the incumbent team really has significantly less power of negotiation, except to provide more money in the deal...due to having Bird rights. They can't necessarily ask for full compensation in return, because the player can just sign outright.

From memory, the only times a SnT actually come close to full return value is when the other team doesn't have enough cap space (Miami did) or there are multiple suitors that the player is willing to go to, thus a bidding war happens. Lebron only wanted to go to Miami, and they had enough money to sign him outright. He had all power to force the trade or simply do the signing without a trade for less money.

bottomline: when someone asks "Worst/Best trade in history," they are talking about actually trading a player contract. SnTs are technically and legally different, as defined by the CBA, and discussed by fans. But, it would make sense that some ppl would want to argue that they are the same, just to be a contrarian.

#31 heypartner, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Ramo$e likes this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Looking at the current GARM, I'm not sure we're in a much better state nowadays. :oops:

daywalker02 and da_juice like this.
  13. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Hmm,

The Houston Rockets sent 3 x All-Star Steve Francis, his backcourt partner in crime Cat Mobley and Kelvin Cato (with his ridiculous salary) to Orlando for 2 x All-NBA Tracy McGrady, Juwan Howard (with his monster contract), Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines.

SF3 was great for 1 season and thats it. Tmac gave a good 3 years and then just broke down. If only MWP (Artest) came a year early.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm with Yolo on the Harden trade, it was bad the same way Portland picking that other guy over Jordan was bad, people are using past events to judge a trade which is just wrong. Say somebody tells you hey play russian roulette with me, if you win I'll give you two dollars, if you lose you get a bullet in your brain. You win and get 2 bucks, is risking your life for 2 dollars a good decision or not?

Same thing is true with the Harden trade, people are saying oh yeah you don't trade an MVP candidate for X Y and Z but at the time nobody knew Harden would be this good, if they did they are just lying to themselves even Morey knew he was a star but not a historic franchise level player. Its like if Dallas offered GSW the same package for Barnes, does GSW say no to that deal because Barnes might blow up to become a historically good franchise player? Harden is an anomaly, 99.99% of 6th men arent gonna be as good as him.

Its not like the package OKC got from us was horrible, Steven Adams has proven to be a star on his own right and just right below the truly elite big men in the league.

As for worst trade I would say the Melo trade ranks up for one of the worst in recent memory, the price was full value for a superstar and the kicker was he was gonna sign with them anyway after the season. Its like if Houston traded everyone good on their team+picks to the Lakers to sign and trade Dwight instead of just signing himm in FA.

YOLO likes this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not historically bad, but someone on Reddit detailed the last Orlando moves and it looks beyond terrible:

You guys traded Harkless for a second rounder, which was then traded for Joe Harris, who you guys let go 6 months later.

Then you guys traded a 23 year old Tobias Harris who just signed a very cheap multi-year contract for ****ing Ilyasova and Jennings. WHY that trade was made I'll never ****ing understand. Jennings just left in free agency a few months later and then Ilyasova was given away like scraps for Ibaka.

Then of course you traded Oladipo and the 12th pick in the draft and Ilyasova* for Serge Ibaka right after you just signed a big man to play backup for your best player at $18m a year and to take the minutes away from your very high lottery picked power forward.

Then you traded Ibaka away for Ross and a first rounder.

So you turned Harkless, Harris, Oladipo, and a lottery first rounder into... Ross and a late first round pick.

da_juice likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rodney McCray could ball out man...

17. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Have you been watching? This is the best they've been all season with or without KD.

And for the record I agree with you that without the benefit of hindsight the Harden trade wasn't really THAT bad. We gave them our top scorer to come off the bench.

18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

This is accurate. I just disagree with the "nobody saw Harden turning into this MVP type of player". I believe the Rockets did or Morey did for that matter. Hadren was never going to grow as a player and reach his full potential playong behind Westbrook. They chose to roll with Westbrook instead of Harden.

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

In OKC, who's the best guy to give the ball to at end of game situations? Even his Harden's first couple of years in OKC, it was clear that Harden was the go-to guy. Westbrook couldn't shoot above 40% back then, Durant had no handles, so the most complete player was Harden.

They also voided the Tyson Chandler trade. Which was one of the worst decisions ever.

If they had

Westbrook
    Harden
    Durant
    Ibaka
    Chandler

(This lineup was entirely possible. They already had all 5 on their roster at one point, only to let Chandler and Harden go for no good reason.

That team is arguable best in NBA history. Sure, Harden might only average 20 ppg, Durant 25 ppg and Westbrook 20 ppg, but they'd win every game. That team is more resilient and consistent than the Warriors '15 championship team.

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I called all of my Rocket Fan Friends I knew with excitement. I believe the trade happened on a Saturday. I know Daryl and I weren't the only ones thinking he would be a superstar.

Jayzers_100 likes this.