1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

worst trade in rockets history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shaqkobe, Sep 20, 2001.

1. shaqkobe

shaqkobe Member

i think it was the pippen trade. not only did you trade away a top 50 player of all time who at the time still had a few good years left, it made you get stuck with the catomic bum and carlos rogers. walt williams doesn't do much and you got no production out of the other three. basically you got a minor contributor in walt and a salary cap albatross in cato. only thing you could call the pip trade was a salary dump but when you got cato back, its no salary dump.

pippen has being a fairly good all round player for the blazers and almost led them a series win over the lakers 2 seasons ago. i think he would have helped along francis and mobley and would have being the best defender on the team. houston ran more the season after pip was traded and it would have suited pips game more. pip over cato anyday

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

huh-are we talking about the same snottie quitten? :rolleyes:

the one who quit on his team than ripped a good player(barkley) publicly to get traded-yeah hes such a great player-if so, tell me why the Blazers choked in game 7 vs LA two 2 yrs ago... reason hes a very good ROLE player not a superstar-he isnt a top 50 player of all time either, he just happened to play with arguably the best player whom ever lived

As for what we received, the wizard is a solid 3 pt shooter/vet and cato, while to this point hasnt panned out, hes still young and i think youll see a breakout yr this yr

Anyways release the hounds, boys, lunch is served

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I don't know about the worst trade...but I'll tell you about 2 of the worst NON trades in Rockets history...the first one was when the Bulls offered MJ for Sampson straight up and also when the Blazers offered the 2nd pick in the 84 draft for Sampson because they needed a big man and wanted sampson instead of Sam Bowie.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Elvin Hayes for Jack Marin - enough said.

5. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Bingo NJRocket on the two worst non-trades.

The worst trade has to be for Charles Barkley. It pains me to say this given Rudy T's recent remarks about how much he liked and admired Charles.

But it cost us two pieces of the long-term puzzle. It alienated Clyde into early retirement. And now Charles has no association with the franchise whatsover-- even talking about a comeback with another franchise.

Personally I like CB; I wish he had spent his career with the Rockets, but our acquisition of him at the time was futile, desperate and costly.

bobrek: wasn't the Big E for Marin a trade that was forced in some way? I can't remember. Was it a contractual thing? I had grown up watching the Big E at U of H. When he was traded, I rode my bicycle over to his house and waved goodbye.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sampson was a bad @ss. Keeping him was not a mistake, unless they knew he would fall apart.

7. DVauthrin

how did barkley cost us two pieces of the future

one was cassell-ill buy that

but if your trying to tell me that robert horry was an integral piece of our puzzle, im going to laugh

the man was productive in the postseason but often bothered never to show up for games

while i think its important that every great team have good role players, who wouldnt trade a young, bench pg with good potential at the time(he turned out to be very solid) and a decent backup pf/sf for a superstar, like barkley-particularly when we were at the stage where our window was shutting

8. NJRocket

Sampson was just plain bad...his ass had nothing to do with it. In fact, he, in my opinion,was not only the biggest dissappointment in NBA history but possibly the biggest one in sports history. Never did a college athlete get such accolades as did Ralph. I don't think there has ever been a more talented college basketball player in the history of the NCAA.

Anyway...I agree with the Barkley trade as being a terrible one. I remember hating the fact that we were giving up Sammy

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The worst trade has to be for Charles Barkley. It pains me to say this given Rudy T's recent remarks about how much he liked and admired Charles.

Imho, it was one of the best trades this organization ever made. Did we win a championship? No. But championships are very rare and hard to come by. Dream alone could not handle the low post load, because of the defenses teams like Seattle were starting to play. If you watched the 1996 series, it was painfully obvious that the Sonics had figured out our system, and something had to be done.

Chuck came in, worked hard, and actually got us passed the Sonics, and would've gotten us past the Jazz if Clyde hadn't taken that last shot in game 6 three seconds too early. Charles brought heart, energy, passion, leadership, and many other positive things to the Rockets besides his stellar play. He and Clyde may not have seen eye to eye, but so do hundreds of other players in the NBA. Hell, even Shaq and Kobe fueded like crazy last year... and if Kobe were to one day demand a trade or retire, would it be Shaq's fault? The blame goes both ways.

Now, think about who you gave up. Robert Horry? Please. You know he can't handle the grind of starting for a full season, which is why he doesn't for the Lakers. He's a decent backup forward who steps up in clutch moments. A solid role player, but when you can trade him for a player that can put you into contention, you don't think twice. Sam Cassell has turned out to be something, but also think about this. If we still had Cassell, do we trade for Francis? Most likely not.

In a way, although Charles was here for a much longer period, it's comparable to the Astros trade for Randy Johnson. They did lose 3 quality players, including one very good pitcher, to get him for half a season. Did the Stros win a title? No, unfortunately not. But I'll guarantee you that if the Astros could do it again, they probably wouldn't change a thing. Just because the team doesn't win a championship doesn't make the move all that bad. It's very difficult to win titles, and when you are close, you have to take risks to try and put you with the top eschelon of teams.

10. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

dvauthrin: Horry has been a regular on 4 championship teams for two different franchises. How many people can make that claim?

The Cat: did our acquisition of Charles ever put us in contention-- even before he was injured?

11. DVauthrin

Bingo, Cat

I couldnt agree more

12. DVauthrin

RichRocket-he was role player for all 4 teams,albeit a good one, but he was not a big piece of our future, a guy like francis thats a cog- robert horrys come and go, just because he happens to find himself in the best situations doesnt make him a big piece of any teams future

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Well I may be a little biased :D but I agree with Rich that the Barkley trade didn't work out. Not a bad trade necessarilyat the time, because I commend the Rockets for trying to improve the team and get past the Sonics. But, the trade for CB4 was made with championships in mind and it didn't work out that way in the end: thus, it failed. Getting to the WCF wasn't good enough for a team that also had Olajuwon and Drexler.

Its fine to look at the Rockets now and say, "well we got Francis, which we wouldn't have done if we still had Sam." Maybe so. But Clyde also probably retired earlier than he otherwise would have because of his feud with Barkley. If we don't lose Clyde, we never bring in Quitten to replace him. Meaning we are never stuck with Cato's contract. And we never go through a procession of Sedale Threats and Matt Maloneys at the point guard spot, hurting our shot at a title by our incredible mediocrity at a key position. We never burn a draft selection on Brent Price, meaning we use that pick on our #4 choice, Rashard Lewis. Would Cassell, Mobley, Lewis, Taylor, Harrington be a good starting lineup? With Horry, Dickerson, Thomas, Mooch, and Chucky off the bench? It seems to me the Rockets could have kept the championship team for the most part intact, contended for another title, and still had a bright future, without trading for Charles.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

RichRocket - Hayes was always disgruntled with the Rockets. His various clashes with Tex Winter were the final straw. Although, it may have been best for them to trade him, they should have been able to trade for Jack Marin (a player they only kept for 1 1/2 years).

15. haven

haven Member

IMO, the Barkley traded was like the Randy Johnson trade.

You give up some good players for a shot at the title. It didn't work out. But it just as easily could have.

Barkley got us by a team that had snuffed us out the previous year. We were better than the Jazz.... just didn't win for some inexplicable reason. I

If we'd won that game, the Rockets probably would have won the Championship... they always did match up well with the Bulls.

Take what you want and pay for it. The Rockets did.

16. man532

man532 Member

Barkley was a bad trade, why?

1. Robert Horry and Sam Cassell are still putting down in the L.

2. Barkley is an alkie and lazy. I spoke with Clyde and he mention how Barkley would walk in the locker and say "Guys I have nothing tonight, I was with two blonds and seven martini's last night. I'll rebound but I need help on D". Sick!

3. Chemistry - Challenge Rudy to call plays for him over the Dream and Clyde

4. Horrible passing out of the post, would pound the ball for 23.5 seconds of the shot clock and pass out to shooter to throw up a shot.

5. No ties to the Houston community, check Robert and Sam who continue to live in H-Town. We have half of the NBA living in Houston and the other half in Atlanta

17. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

RichRocket-
    Horry played along Shaq and Kobe during the years that the Lakers dominated. He is an excellent role player- he hit's 3s in clutch times. Besides he had a contract drive as well. He doesn't qualify as an ultimate piece to our puzzle.

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Clyde wasn't exactly and angel himself, but say you kept the old team, what happens when Dream get old? You have Dream's huge contract, you have Sam Cassell's huge contract (he was looking for a big payday), you have Horry's huge contract, you don't have a PF, you don't have a bench, and you have an aging Clyde Drexler and Hakeem. Once Hakeem and Clyde retire who do you build around? I don't know how not living in Houston or having community ties hurts the franchise. If that were the case Houston would have never gotten Cat or Francis or Griffin because they didn't have ties. As for chemistry, the team won more games in one season then any Houston team in history. Injuries to two our PGs derailed the team in the end not "bad chemstry". Barkley WAS NOT a horrible passer out of the post. He was one of the best passer out of the post. He averaged over 4 assist per game out of the post for the Rockets. He had something like 4000 assist in his career. He, along with Chamberlain (who one an assist title), and another hall-of-fame center that slips my mind are the only guys in history to have over 20000 points 10000 rebounds and 4000 assists so how does that make him a horrible passer?

#18 RocksMillenium, Sep 20, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2001
  19. NJRocket

Hell Rocks...we may not have Collier either!!!!!!!!!

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Something else to consider, Cassell and Horry were both missing TONS of times with injuries. Until recently Cassell was missing games regularly, as was Horry. No way Horry's body can take the pounding of being a regular starter, especially if he is a regular PF. Hakeem was declining in skills, and Drexler was at the end. If Drexler stays the Rockets don't get Dickerson, and likely don't get Cat. They definitely don't get Francis. Basically they build around Cassell. Cassell isn't even the main piece in Milwaukee. I'm not taking anything away from Cassell, is a good player, but is he is a franchise player? Would you feel comfortable with the Rockets building their team around Horry, Cassell, and a few draft picks? The Rockets weren't just thinking about contending then, they knew they had contracts running out and cap space. Why do you think they opted not to re-sign Cassell or Horry? Horry hits big shots granted, but so does Derek Fisher. Do you want to build your team around Fisher? The championship team was getting old, injured, and about to suck up cap.