1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst Retired Number Players in NBA History

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Apr 10, 2008.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Calvin is there b/c of college, size, etc as well as NBA career.

2. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

avery johnson for the spurs - why they retired a player for simply hitting a clutch shot against the knicks in a championship game is beyond me. because if he hadn't hit that shot, he would have never even been considered for this honor. the spurs would have won that series regardless of whether he hit that shot. he was a commanding floor general for a championship team, but he was just doing what a point guard should be doing. he never put up impressive statistics that would merit the honor.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

sigh

And here I thought the point of thread was because I am bored and am starting too many threads today. Actually, I don't know what my point is, other than the Cleveland rafters made me laugh like the Rice U rafters do; oh, and I thought the nba link was worth posting.

btw: I like your moniker. Barkley is my hero.

ps: are you still upset about my take on Mark Price?

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I didn't realize they'd retired Avery's number. But at least he hit a (illegitimate)championship winning shot.

Unlike Sean Elliott who gets his jersey retired for hitting a game winner in the Conference Finals. Yes I realize he had a kidney transplant and came back successfully from it, but I don't think a couple of All-Star appearances, one replaced organ, and one game winner warrant a jersey being retired.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Now the truth comes out... you're obviously a shortist.

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

If you are the Yankees, sometimes you even do it twice (Bill Dickey and Yogi Berra both #8)

Worst retired number was the Heat retiring Michael Jordan's number, then the Kings retiring #6 for the fans, followed by all of MLB retiring Jackie Robinson's number.

7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Good, otherwise we all know Dwayne would be pumping 23s just like all the other Micheal wannabes out there...*cough* Bron and JRich *end cough*

8. heypartner

thread derailer you.

come on now. play along. which retired number player do you think is the worst player. not "underserving" but worst. My vote was Mark Eaton.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Apologize for slighting Price and I'll tell you it's got to be the Heat/Jordan.

Eaton is second, but I will note that he was so big and slow that he gave Dream trouble... simply because he was incapable of responding to any fakes... and Eaton is in many ironic ways the quintessential face of the Jazz franchise.

10. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Apperently have done your homework on crappy retired jereseys..........NICE :D

~ROX~

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

12. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Wait, huh? :confused:

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't know you were old enough to remember the Denver Rockets.

14. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

That qualifies for doing his homework? How is the Big O a "crappy retired jersey"?

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

He did only play 4 seasons with the Bucks. He won a title there with Kareem, but otherwise his time there was not much more significant than Barkley's time in Houston. Most wouldn't suggest the Rox retire Barkley's number. I could see arguments either way. Of course it is a bit silly to argue against the Big O in Milwaukee, but in favor of Clyde in Houston.

16. snappyd

snappyd Member

Nate McMillan for the Sonics...

He may not have been an MVP-type player, but he was the heart and soul of the Sonics in the Kemp/Payton era. I do wonder how that finals series would have gone if he wasn't injured...

Guess it comes back to that point that someone else mentioned, it's not that the players are necessarily huge-name players, but that they meant a lot to the team.

17. heypartner

As OP, allow me to point out once again the thread question is "worst Player" not dumbest retired number.

18. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I would have to go with Brad Davis. He only stuck around because the Mavs were terrible.

19. heypartner

haha, TNT actually showed him tonight during the Dallas/Utah finish.

Get this from wikipedia...

I think we have a winner, especially since you are secondly a previous vote for Davis. Worst player with a retired number. yep.

20. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Dallas. Where unamazing happens.