1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst NBA arenas?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SirCharlesFan, Jul 2, 2002.

1. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

In the history of the NBA, what are some arenas you guys would list as the worst? They don't have to be current arenas, but just ones you remember from earlier days or now...

It doesn't have to be arenas that were total dumps, but maybe the sightlines were bad, etc...

Some arenas I would nominate:

LA Sports Arena (Matt Bullard once said "This is pretty much the crappiest arena in the NBA. One time I was leaving the arena and I heard/saw a shooting and the police chasing after the shooters."

McNichols Arena. The place was just butt ugly. Plus the players were always complaining about the locker rooms and how all of the showerheads were only like 6 ft tall.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I was about to say the Compaq Center, but I bet if you polled the players, they would list it as one of their favorites. EVERYONE seems to have a good shooting night when they come here (except for John Starks, of course :))

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I don't know how you could rate a building that you've never been to.

Chicago Stadium?
    Richfield Coliseum?
    Salt Palace?
    Veterans Memorial Coliseum?
    Portland Memorial Coliseum?
    Market Square Arena?

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The alamodome is the worst. It's a football stadium for crying out loud. It never gets noisy and their good seats are worse that the 4 seats at the laptop. The place is way too big to watch a basketball game.

5. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

I agree the Rockbox. I've been to dozens of games there at the DOME. And even the 120 dollar seats I sometimes get, i'm 15 rows from the court and 80 feet away.

AT least they have a new place now.

They did it for the money. Even when they had 40,000 fans it still wasn't as loud as THE PIT, in Albuquerque with its 18,018 fans. 2nd loudest arena in the world. 127 decibels. Ear shattering

6. Looogie

Looogie Member

The Palace is pretty bad, its in the middle of nowhere, and their parking system sucks.

Inside the arena its like a baseball stadium and the seats aren't that nicely set up.

7. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

SirCharles is right, the LA Sports Arena is pretty damn scary. We went to go see Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers play there when I was in high school, that place is a freakin warzone. Bums,hookers,drug dealers,gunshots,police sirens, etc etc. It's reputation is valid.

8. SunsRocketsfan

the San Diego Sports AREAN SUXS JUST AS MUCH!!! hehe I live in San Diego.. that place sucks.. so old and worn down.. SMALL CROWDED AND STINKY TOO.. .
    Home of the ROCKETS way back in the days.. hehe
    San Diego Rockets.... then it was home for the Clippers. BOTH LEFT TOWN.. cause i guess SD just isnt a basketball city..

9. moomoo

moomoo Member

I've only been to one, and that's Compaq. You could get a blood clot sitting in those damn cramped arse seats, and I'm a skinny guy.

Hopefully the new arena seats will have more legroom. Like at Enron.....errrr....Minute Maid Park. Now that's the kind of legroom I'm talking about.

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Phoenix's old Veterans Memorial was really bad, too. It was basically just a huge old gym with really narrow walkways, not many concessions, bad seats, and a small capacity. I went there for a game when i was probably in 1st or 2nd grade and they played the Utah Jazz (Suns won, thank god). I just remember it being REALLY old and nasty. I think it was the final year they used it for the Suns. Strangely enough, they never demolished it. It looks like such an old dump when you drive by it on the interstate.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I've only been to the Summit, Compaq Center.

It's kinda small, and I hate how it's too much underground. It doesn't look big and imposing enough. THe downtown arena is just like that.

12. MattsayzIstillbelieve!!!

I think that Gilbert Arenas sucks pretty bad.

:p

13. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

LA Sports Arena, hands down. I went there to see a circus one time.....seats were all torn up. The place smells like CRAP.....reminds me of a country western saloon.

14. SunsRocketsfan

yes I'd have to agree. LA SPORTS ARENA REALLLY SUCKS

15. MagicFan

MagicFan Member

Miami Arena, that place looks like a dump when u drive by it, lol