1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst collapse in the history of sports

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Cat, Jun 4, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This to me ranks as an even worse collapse than the Oilers in the playoffs. Maybe I'm exaggerating some, but this was the biggest choke job I personally have ever seen. Up 15 POINTS in the final period, and then you can't make one shot the rest of the way. 12 STRAIGHT MISSES!! Wallace misses TWO foul shots with the game on the line! I don't want to hear one thing about how good the Fakers are, because in my mind they are a completely undeserving Finals team. I hope the Pacers sweep their damn butts out of the Finals, cause they do not deserve to be there.

------------------

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited June 04, 2000).]

2. The Cat

FIXED!!! Did anyone see that play when Portland was down 4, and Shaq literally hammered Steve Smith? No call. If Smith gets fouled, makes two free throws, and then Kobe misses two free throws, which he did, Portland could tie. But the officiating dominates again. Way to go NBA. You got what you wanted. You could have at least let the players decide it themselves, where LA probably would have won anyway. But now you have to fix it where Portland fans are left wondering "What might have been if that foul was called."

------------------

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!!!!!!!

YEA!!!!!!

Quitten goes home a loser!!!

Go Indiana!

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

4. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Cat no offense give it a rest the lakers deserved to win the blazers deserved to lose. u can what if all day. be happy quitten isnt adding another ring and looking good. blazers shouldnt have blwon the lead. period. good job LA. go home and cry quitten.
    they will be blaming it on somebody else tom. because all they do is b**** fuss and cuss.

------------------
    --TEX

[This message has been edited by TeXaSalsa (edited June 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by TeXaSalsa (edited June 04, 2000).]

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I had to leave with Portland up 16 late in the third. So how much did the Blazers win by?

Pippen for three .... [brick]. Welcome to Portland, Oregon. You have just entered Choke City.

Let the Scottie trade rumors begin.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

6. The Cat

Tex- the Blazers deserved to lose, but the Lakers did not deserve to win. Portland missed every shot in the last quarter practically, and didn't score for over a SEVEN MINUTE PERIOD. The Blazers deserved to lose, but the Lakers didn't deserve to win. They were given a gift. You could have put any other team in the NBA on that floor, up 15 in the 4th quarter. All but 1 or maybe 2 would have won. The Fakers deserve no credit. Even if they win the championship, in my opinion they aren't true champions by any stretch of the imagination.

------------------

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited June 04, 2000).]

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Golden State couldnt pull that feat.

Lakers D held them scoreless in that stretch.

Lakers deserved to win cuz that is what the score says.

------------------
    I have a special purpose.

8. TeXaSalsa

Cat u just contradicted yourself by saying the blazers deserved to win yet looking at your first post you dont seem to think so there. the lakers D tightened up alot. true portland became unravelled and couldnt hit a shot to save their life but its nobodys fault but theres. i was wrong when i said go LA vs. Indiana personally i really want indiana to win. but im just happy quitten isnt going to hoist up the trophy this year.

------------------
    --TEX

9. The Cat

Please. The Lakers D didn't do anything. It was terrible. Portland just couldn't make a shot, and they handed the game to the Lakers. I know Phil Jackson tried to give the Spurs an asterick for their championship last year. In my mind, if the Fakers beat the Pacers, it's Jackson that deserves the asterick.

------------------

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Its true the Blazers didn't get any help from the refs, but the refs didn't take the shots. If the Blazers hit half of those missed shots, they win. No excuses, they choked, plain and simple.

------------------
    You just want to be on the side thats winning.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Houston overcame deficits like this.

Are you prepared to give Hoouston an asterick as well?

------------------

12. Calvin23

Calvin23 Member

Steve Smith was clearly fouled.

The crowd knew it, Shaq knew it, the refs certainly did. Bill Walton was actually correct for a change when he said that would decide the Blazers season.

Oh well. Go Pacers.

13. The Cat

Sorry Tex, I meant to put lose. I edited it.

------------------

14. The Cat

Did a team facing the Rockets go 0-10000000 in the 4th quarter? Did the Rockets cheat to win? No. Therefore no asterick.

------------------

15. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

The Lakers bought the refs.

------------------
    THE DEAN HAS WRITTEN

16. TeXaSalsa

np Cat i had a feeling thats what u meant. was just making sure. im not a big LA fan or anything i just dont want an underachieving blazer team in the finals. LA did play up their ability. portland IMO should be required to win 68 games for their season to be considered a success. they won 59 which is way too low. with the talent they have they should go alot further. just my 2cents that and i hate quitten is why i dont like em one bit. go pacers.

------------------
    --TEX

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Blazers did not go 0-100000.

illuminate me. How did the Lakers cheat?

------------------

18. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Well, well. Where was Pippen to lead the blazers to victory? Kinda disappeared, didnt he? and when he had the ball he bricked 3's or just turned it over. I was happy because it was Steve Smith and Rasheed getting the huge lead. Pippen was basically a nonfactor. Pippen, official king of chokecity.

------------------
    Hakeem, Hasaw, Haconquered.

19. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Well, well. Where was Pippen to lead the blazers to victory? Kinda disappeared, didnt he? and when he had the ball he bricked 3's or just turned it over. I was happy because it was Steve Smith and Rasheed getting the huge lead. Pippen was basically a nonfactor. Pippen, official king of chokecity.

------------------
    Hakeem, Hasaw, Haconquered.

20. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Umm, last time I checked "D" usually has something to do with the other team missing shots.

The Lakers did not let Portland get position close to the basket like they were easily getting through the first three quarters and Shaq WAS establishing position. Shaq was also contesting every shot within 5 feet of him. No team comes back from 16 down without playing "D". The Lakers defense in the fourth quarter had everything to do with the win.

Oh well.....GO INDIANA!

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!