1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    EAST FINALS GAME 4 -- can the Pacers avoid being swept? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Worst Blockbusters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JunkyardDwg, May 13, 2008.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/movie-guide-summer/worst-blockbusters

I honestly don't see how you can lump Godzilla, 10,000BC, Home Alone 2, Pearl Harbor, The (forgettable) Island, (disappointing) Spidey 3 and (myself not included) Phantom Menace and The Da Vinci Code into the same league as E.T., Titanic, I Am Legend, Spidey I and II, The Rock, The Passion, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith and Home Alone.

So this article pretty much has no credibility with me. I'm curious to know exactly how he came to these conclusions because he includes some definite classics on the list, as well as legitimate moneymakers and movies that fared well with the critics.

There's plenty of blockbuster movies that completely tanked at the box office that are much worse than the films listed here...hello, Waterworld, Pluto Nash?!

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

:D

I actually agree with most of those. Disagree with Spiderman 1 and 2 and Star Wars 3.

Oh, and ET. I was 5 when that movie came out and I loved it.

EDIT: I Am Legend disappointed me a bit, but it doesn't compare to movies he didn't list

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Any list that doesn't contain Battlefield Earth is automatically invalid.

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Dude, these ****ing lists are getting out of ****ing control. First off, who the **** made this guy an expert? Second off, the reasons these lists are so ridiculous is because the writers just throw in a bunch of popular movies on the "worst of" lists in order to get a ton of attention. The lists are so absurd that they piss people off and they get tons of reads/comments on their articles. The fact that you posted it here is proof that these methods work.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Battlefield Earth wasn't exactly a big winner at the box office hence it was not a blockbuster.

I can't believe Wild Wild West didn't make the cut.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That was the first movie I thought of when I saw the thread title. That along with Waterworld and Swordfish.

While none of those movie are Oscar worthy, a lot of them were enjoyable and from from being the worst.

7. JunkyardDwg

Well see I can understand if a person doesn't like a particular movie and such; but if you're trying to be biased then some of these films clearly should not be on the list.

For instance, I can see how people may not like Titanic. But no way in hell does it deserve to be mentioned in the same article as Godzilla.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I tend to think of a blockbuster more as a hyped up big budget summer movie regardless of how it performs at the box office.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'd agree with the list.

I enjoyed the spiderman movies, but I realize they are corny and that I am a comic geek. I also enjoyed I am Legend even though the special effects were kind of lame, but I am a zombie geek.

The rest of the movies I thought sucked.

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

I disagree on Episodes II and III also. Yes, Episdoe I was an awful awful movie, by any standards, much less Star Wars standards. But II and III were fun movies, especially if you can get past the cheesy/forced dialogue.

11. JunkyardDwg

Just like Power Rankings, eh. No matter how absurd, you still have to read what some nobody thinks about a certain subject...and it'll piss you off, but you still come back for more.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you think Star Wars 2-3 were that bad then why not include SW 4 and 6.

13. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Dude, I really enjoyed Bad Boys, The Rock, and Transformers. They are admittedly a little cheesy, but they were good aciton flicks when I saw them in the theater and they were entertaining. Especially Bad Boys and The Rock, transformers not as much.

14. JunkyardDwg

Here's the thing, some people may think the Spiderman movies are pure cheese. Same for Star Wars. Some might think Titanic is long and melodramatic. Some might consider Home Alone to be unintelligent slapstick comedy.

But you cannot argue against their box office results, against the reviews they received by the majority of critics and audiences and you can't argue against the various awards they were nominated for or received. So if you are unbiased and look at these films objectively, then you can't possibly include some of these films on this list, while leaving something like Batman and Robin off it. How can you not include a movie that killed a franchise?

15. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Who the hell died and made this guy boss??

Home Alone has to be one of the greatest movies of all time. Yeah, I said it. All tiiiiime.

Harry: Why the hell did you take your shoes off?
    Marv: Why the hell are you dressed like a chicken?

Ahh, good times.

16. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

PS: Waterworld.

17. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

These lists are a dime a dozen, used to fill up space when they've run out of ideas on stuff to write about. And these list are increasingly used to write smart-alecky, sarcastic, wannabe-witty comments. That's what pro basketball forums are made for.

Some movies deserved to be on his list, some are quite puzzling. You could pick far more deserving movies than I Am Legend or the Spiderman movies for example.

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

this is the worst list ive ever seen....
    home alone?
    ET?
    spiderman 1 and 2 were good movies
    There are a lot worse movies than Titanic

Episode 3 was brilliant. I wouldnt argue with someone who said it was the best. Two was good too.

19. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Wow I would definitely hate to hang out with this guy after a movie.

With that said, I do agree with his last 2 points regarding Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich. Those 2 should not be allowed to make another movie.

The rest was just pure garbage writing and attention whoring. However I did chuckle a little when he said "I Am Leaving" at the end of I Am Legend hahaha.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I agree with most of his list:

The Star Wars Prequels are sh-t. Complete and utter sh-t. Ok, I did like Episode II despite the cheesy romance, but everything it seemed to be setting up had no payoff in the third movie. Anakin's "turn" was treated in the laziest, most ho-hum manner imaginable. And don't get me started on "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!".

I Am Wretched has a decent first half and a horrible second half. And no, the alternate ending would not have made a difference. It was a mediocre film either way. Will Smith amazes me. He makes almost nothing but average-at-best(and usually really bad) movies, yet they all score huge at the box office.

Home Alone is ok, although the Road Runner-inspired 3rd act doesn't fit with the vastly superior hour that preceded it. Home Alone 2 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Mean-spirited, lazy, and derivative. It's crap like this that makes me glad John Hughes went into hiding.

E.T. I've always said is the most overrated movie of all-time. That's not to say it isn't good. It's very good. But Spielberg has done much better work than this. It's nothing more than Old Yeller with an alien.

Spider-Man is pretty good and Spider-Man 2 is terrific. I disagree with the guy on that. But Spider-Man 3 was utter crap. And because it was the capper to the trilogy, it does undermine what came before it.

Titanic is overrated and never should've won Best Picture over L.A. Confidential. That being said, I still maintain it's a great film. Sure, the romance is cheesy and Billy Zane is laughably over-the-top, but once the ship hits that iceberg, it's an amazing spectacle. I think the reason its reputation has suffered in recent years is that watching it in your living room pales in comparison to witnessing it on the big screen. Well, that and people are sick of the damn Celine Dion song.

Roland Emmerich is one of the biggest hacks ever. ID4 is crap. Stargate is crap(great score by David Arnold however). Godzilla is one of the worst movies ever made. The Patriot is a Braveheart wannabe. And The Day After Tomorrow is insultingly bad(it's fitting Al Gore used a clip from it in his "documentary"). Oh, and he doesn't get off the hook for Universal Soldier either.

Michael Bay is what he is. He makes loud, in your face, larger than life popcorn movies. Sometimes they work great, like with The Rock. Sometimes they're mindless fun like Bad Boys and Transformers. Sometimes they're mediocre like Armagodawful and Pearl Harbor. And then there are total whiffs like Bad Boys II and The Island. But you usually know what you're getting when you purchase a ticket to one of his flicks.