1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worse Starting Forwards in the West?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Dec 18, 2003.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yao and Cato are both better rebounders than Francis on a per game basis. I gave you the per minute numbers to pre-empt any argument that being more prolific doesn't mean better.

New Jack, most teams have 1 star in the backcourt and 1 in the front. The Rockets are just the same, except their frontcourt star is a center and not a power forward. What's in a name?

You're right that they can neglect Cato to guard the basket, but I don't think they can slack off of JJ too much. He's not been hitting too great so far, but he's a scorer that can make disrespecting defenses pay. JJ is a pretty solid starter; he's not a 'backup guard.'

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well, no help from Eddie. Hopefully there is something going to happen with the trade exception and Eddies money after someone signs him -- or something.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

So, if Cato and JJax are so bad...how did the Rox get to be a 14-10 team with a 10-1 record when leading after the first quarter? Dare I say it? It's a team game.

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I don't see why anyone is surprised. We've had the worst or near worst forwards in the west for years.

Cato and JJ are decent enough role-players for the rox to make it by with the big 3 though.

5. Sane

Sane Member

JJ is nowhere near 6'7. That's for sure.

I'm fine with JJ starting and playing limited minutes, but I think Cato should backup the 4/5.

JJ wasn't a starter for the Kings last year, I don't think he should be a starter for us. I don't think we have a better SF on our team, but something should be done about that.

I've said this over and over again, this team severaly lacks athleticism.

6. New Jack

New Jack Member

I think the power forwards on that list are all a lot more versatile than Yao. As a center Yao is pretty much restricted to being a low-post player because of his lack of mobility. The offense can become very predictable when it’s just a big man inside the paint at the same spot on the floor every time. Maybe one day if Yao dominates like Shaq or Hakeem, the Rockets can get away with a predictable offense. Right now, he definitely needs some help.

An offense that has a star forward is a whole lot less predictable and more difficult to stop because their games are more versatile. Pretty much all of the forwards on that list can beat you in the paint, medium distance, and some can extend their game to the outside.

That's why I'd like to see a little more balance in the lineup. Yao inside, Steve or Cat on the perimeter, and a star forward somewhere in between. Offensively, Taylor might be able to fill that role but on defense and rebounding, he worse than all the forwards there except maybe Radman.

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Sane -
    Not to high jack this thread, but other than Kobe...how are the Lakers athletic? I don't see Rasho, Bowen, Hedo, or Parker as all that athletic. Kings - Peja, Miller, Vlade, Bibby...TWolves - Gary Trent, Cassell, Spree...Mavs - outside of Dirk and Nash...who?

Maybe we have differing definitions of "athletic". I see Francis, Cat, Taylor, and Boki as athletic and JJ was athletic enough to play a big part for the Kings last season.

8. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, we have the league's worst starting forwards.

Isn't it funny that neither of 'em really is a forward?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You hit the nail on the head. I like Jackson, but he's a back-up wing player, and Cato is a backup center.

I can't understand why they aren't trying to work Nachbar in the lineup, besides his shot being off, he already gives you things you need from a 3, defense, and slashing to the bucket.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Jackson IMO could be a nice Starting 2
    but Cuttino has that spot

Rocket River

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He used to be a nice starting two, he's just lost too much of of his athleticism, IMO

12. sun12

sun12 Member

Why is everybody suprised? Rox has not done well for a long time in the draft department, and has not done well in free agent signings as well.

We are pretty lucky in getting the #1 pick last year. If we pick at the position we are supposed to pick, #5, with Eddie, the future PF, on board already, whom will we pick? We will suck badly!