1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worriers Tanking for Top Pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 27, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They had to come back as something other than cupcakes.

2. HardenVolumeOne

and this is why i cant rank curry over harden

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the writing is on the wall.

Simmons or in a lesser case Embiid because he is less mobile are better candidates and they only gotta wait a little until Philly blows it up IMO.

Giannis is a media darling but they do not need him to win out.

Ben Simmons would be enough, he improves his shooting in time.
    Joel is too injury prone himself.

I agree with the keeping families apart is insane sentiment.

#123 daywalker02, Aug 21, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden gets the individual accolades and perhaps one ship.

Curry gets the team records and more ships.

Enough cake for everyone.

5. TimDuncanDonaut

GSW gets #2 pick. The shortest 'process'

76ers left the chat

6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

God hates Cleveland. This is just more proof.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/2012574/202...ties-the-lottery-picks-that-could-be-in-play/

Golden State is trying to maximize its championship window with an aging star core of Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green. And I guess Andrew Wiggins too. Anyway, the Warriors landed the second pick and could theoretically take LaMelo Ball or Anthony Edwards there. In reality, they’d probably much rather trade out for immediate help.

Putting together a sensible deal is the hard part – it’s all but impossible for the Warriors to match a salary with their spare parts. Sitting on a $17 million trade exception from the Andre Igoudala deal helps, but still, the issues remain — who is on the market who makes $17 million or less and would be worth swapping the second overall pick?

Here’s one goofball thought — what about the second pick to Oklahoma City for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. Who says no? The Warriors could make a similar offer to Atlanta for John Collins, although they likely get turned down for reasons I’ll get into below.

I have two other grand Warriors trades, but I’ll save those for later.

And finally, dare I say it: What about Minnesota? I don’t think the Wolves will be trading out of the draft, but what about trading down from 1 to 2 in a three-way deal with Golden State?

If we presume that A) the Warriors will shop the second pick, B) most teams would rather have Ball than Edwards, but C) the Wolves would rather have Edwards than Ball, then the stars align for this type of trade.

The T’wolves can get a much better fit with Edwards at shooting guard alongside D’Angelo Russell and Karl Towns, whereas Ball has some pretty heavy role duplication with Russell. (And might, ironically, precipitate a Russell trade, were Russell’s contract not virtually impossible to trade.)

It would probably require some poker in Minnesota’s part to convince teams that they’d take Ball at 1, but the way it works is that the Warriors trade the second pick to another team, who then sends Minnesota an additional pick to swap spots 1 and 2.

For one wild example, imagine a three-way deal where the Knicks move from 8 to 1 by sending Mitchell Robinson to Golden State. The Wolves move back to the second pick and take Edwards, and also receive their own 2021 first back from Golden State that they sent in the Russell-Wiggins trade. For their part, the Warriors get the 17th pick from Minnesota and the 27th pick from the Knicks. The Warriors don’t need those picks this year, but could then wheel and deal some more with picks 17 and 27 plus their trade exception … or use it to select inexpensive bench players for an otherwise jaw-droppingly expensive roster.

OK, stop.

Let your imaginations run wild, but let me also play party pooper here. Two barriers stand in the way of a frothier trade market.

First, there appears to be no clear consensus on the correct order of the players. While Ball-Edwards or Edwards-Ball are the most common variants you’ll hear, they haven’t separated themselves the way that, say, Zion Williamson and Ja Morant did a year ago. That gets in the way of trades because teams think “my guy will just be there and I don’t need to move up.” Consensus draft orders create more trade urgency.

I’m saving the best for last, though, because I do think there is one trade in particular that makes a ton of sense, and it connects again to that 2013 draft. Besides the shocking Bennett pick, the other highlight of that night was the beginning of The Process, when Sixers GM Sam Hinkie sent Jrue Holiday to New Orleans for the sixth overall pick and a future first.

Could we see a repeat?

No, I mean literally – could we see Holiday get traded for two firsts again on draft night?

The angles line up. He’s on the last year of his deal before he can opt out and become a free agent in 2021, which would leave the Pelicans with nothing. New Orleans itself fell a bit short of its ambitious goals for this season and, in a West that figures to be absolutely loaded next year, would probably be better off taking a step back to build around Zion Williamson and Brandon Ingram.

Meanwhile, the Pelicans might struggle to find other suitors who can give them enough compensation for their star. Denver was probably rumored to be the closest this February, but the Nuggets will be picking in the 20s for the foreseeable future, capping the value of any draft equity they could offer. Meanwhile, most of the other contenders already spent their draft capital in trades last summer.

Enter Golden State. What if the Warriors made New Orleans a Godfather offer: We’ll give you the second overall pick this year and the Minnesota pick in 2021. But there’s a catch: You have to take Wiggins and Looney, and send us Holiday and J.J. Redick while you’re at it.

New Orleans walks away with two high firsts but has three years of paying Wiggins on unfriendly terms ($100 million. Egads). The Pelicans can probably handle that – his number comes off their books just as Williamson would be hitting his rookie extension.

From Golden State’s perspective, putting the two contracts and the second pick into a Holiday-Redick deal would make their tax situation for the coming year less insanely onerous, which likely matters given the questionable ticket revenue coming this season. The Warriors wouldn’t have to use their Iguodala trade exception to make this trade either, which potentially leaves other avenues open. (One I’ve suggested before: Acquiring Rudy Gay for a second-round pick).

And the Pelicans walk away with an ugly contract, yes, but also a lower payroll and two very valuable draft picks. Reuniting the Ball brothers probably isn’t the cards, but if Edwards is the guy at number 2, he fits very well with Ingram and Williamson.

So, Holiday-Wiggins-No. 2 is my top fantasy trade right now.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ben Simmons would be so good on the Warriors barring injuries.

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Why, just why. I hate it that they only have to have 1/2 a year of a bad team, and now they can content again. They were lucky to get Durant, and now they get lucky again. I am starting to hate GS almost more than the Lakers.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

With no March madness i have no idea who's good this year -- who are the top prospects?

11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Suns aren't trading Booker. Beal is easily gettable

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Cleveland got two #1 picks in 3 years after LeBron left.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Because they have competent management that takes advantage of good situations. They made sure to get something for Durant that could be traded later, and they were smart enough to tank.

roslolian likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They're still breaking the bank on lux tax. Donkey might be broken down and sent to the hot dog factory.

Not sure if Klay's mileage is for a Toyota engine or Ford engine.

Best uhh wishes?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Someone will cave and give the Warriors win-now assets for the pick. That's just my thinking. I think when you're going nowhere, having a top pick is super valuable.

I could see New Orleans, Minnesota, Orlando, Detroit, Cleveland, Charlotte, Atlanta, Sacramento, New York and maybe even San Antonio, Phoenix and Memphis being interested.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

One thing Warriors are great at is they have a long term perspective on winning. They know a season of losing is temporary if it meant getting a high lotto pick. They prob could have won more games if they wanted to and rode DLo and Draymond harder but I'm guessing Kerr and their FO decided to half ass it this season.

Rox always suffered from Win Now mentality and thats why they end up with holes like getting stuck with 35 yr old CP3 on a 4 year max contract (lol). Rox also had a similar opportunity to tank when they first got Harden but instead went win now mode yet again chasing Jeremy Lin and Dwight Howard. In fact they could've tanked the seasons prior to trading for Harden but fell in love with getting the 8th seed and getting manhandled in the first round.

Look at the roster after the Harden trade, it was pure garbage outside Harden guys like Aaron Brooks, Patterson and Marcus Morris were the best players. Harden could've had Oladipo or Giannis as his sidekick. Hell Benett might not have been a bust if he went to Houston instead of Cleveland.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2013.html