1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World public opinion on the 'War on Terror'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ottomaton, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From the Pew Research Center For People and the Press. Very intresting stuff that I was lead to by NPR.

Things like as many people in the Middle East hate the US as much for widening the gap of power between rich and poor countries as for supporting Israel. Here are some breakdowns:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The story starts:

You can see the full story here.

Intresting stuff.

2. treeman

treeman Member

I'd be more interested in their survey on public opinions than this...

Interesting that a majority say that the US is right in fighting terrorism, but don't think we should go on to Iraq or Somalia. Just who the hell do these idiots think is perpetrating world terrorism? Saddam and Al Qaeda (in Somalia now, apparently) are the undisputed world leaders in terrorism, and no one wants us to go after them... But they want us to fight terrorism?

This just illustrates why we may have to go it alone. There's no shortage of idiots in the world, or people who don't give a crap about US interests.

Though with a sample size of 275 from 24 countries, it might not exactly be statistically significant anyway... But good find, Ottomaton.

Personally, though, I trust Gallup's polling a bit more.

3. wallrus34

wallrus34 Member

And your one of those idiots, why should other counties get involved in your crap?

The american government knew it was gunna happen, just like pearl harbour which is a fact! and i wouldnt be surprised if they planned it, so get a clue u sheep.

Why is it bush said he seen the first plane hit the world trade centre minutes after it happened when footage didnt come out for a few days? did he know it was gunna happen or is he just dumb?

4. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Who's the dumb one?!

Last I heard some 80+ nations lost citizens in the WTC terror alone. Certainly, many of those countries and others face local terrorism at home.

The USA is the undisputed leader. Unfortunately a certain percentage of the followers are going to simply criticize the leader no matter which course of action is taken. Those who stand-by are just taking up space.

The US is not perfect, but thank God we are here because no one else could spearhead a sweeping decimation of terrorism worldwide.

#4 RichRocket, Dec 20, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2001
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wallrus -- please tell me you're not suggesting that the US government was behind these attacks....

if that's what you're suggesting, may I make a suggestion??

LAY OFF THE ART BELL SHOW FOR A WHILE!!!!

6. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

I could not care less what the world thinks of the United States right now. History shows that if we act forcefully, and let our moral compass guide us, world public opinion will swing in our direction.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Let's see. 50% of people in the US and about 70% in the entire rest of the question future actions in Somalia and Iraq. They are all "idiots" and against "American" interests. Even the Americans!

Actually it is quite American to question the foreign policy of your government-- even concerning matters of war and national defense. It is vitally in American interest that people continue to do this.

I find it very encouraging that people hold such moderate , American type view even after the 9/11 atrocity..

8. treeman

treeman Member

wallrusdude:

Moron.

glynch:

Way to go misreading the survey. This is not a public opinion poll, it's a survey of "opinion leaders". It is not a statistically valid poll with a randomly generated sample, it is a survey (not the same thing as a poll) of a nonrandomly generated sample of "opinion leaders", not the average Joe and Mary on the street. Do you even understand that? I guess not...

Or you're just going for that dishonest propaganda angle again.

Go to Gallup for a public opinion poll on that question. Last I checked it was 78% public support for moving the war to "other countries" after Afghanistan (which includes/means Iraq and Somalia).

Repeat: This is not a public opinion poll. Ottomaton should've pointed that out. ;)

9. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Kids, now this is an example of why you should do your 4th grade reading comprehension homework; if you don't you sound like this.

You idiot, treeman wasn't just criticizing other people for disapproving an invasion of Somalia and Iraq. He was criticizing people for believe the US is right in fighing terrorism and then dissapproving an invasion.

Wow, I'm not sure what country you're from but it clearly isn't the US. Footage of the 1st plane hitting the tower came out about 4 minutes after the 1st strike. It wasn't a great angle but there was footage. Suggesting that Bush new about/planned the crash on "evidence" like this is just ludicrous. It's obvious you are letting your hatred and disdain of the US color every one of your perceptions. Open minds are a wonderful thing - try to get one.