1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World Championships 2010

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sbyang, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Landry92

Landry92 Member

Scola was just chosen to the tournement AllStar team ..

2. RocketEG6

RocketEG6 Member

Congratulations from Spain, USA has been superior to the others at all times.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I don't like a team that loses it's last game automatically gets the silver, let them play for it like the consolation games.

Congrats to Team USA and Kevin Durant named Tournament MVP, and boo for the Turkey fans for being sore losers during the US national anthem.

4. lalala902102001

This team doesn't have much ego on it which is a great thing when it comes to a turnament like the world chamionship. Well deserved victory. Props to team USA and coach K.

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Congrats to Team USA.

They may have already proven they had the best players and the best athletes.

Today and throughout this tournament they've proven, despite what anyone else thinks, they are the best TEAM.

6. lionaire

lionaire Member

Congrats to the US squad. I hope the same 12 guys play in the 2012 games. Also, anyone else thing Danny Granger should have gotten some more PT?

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Kevin Durant and Granger play the same position, Kevin played like an MVP (as he was named), therefore Granger sat.

8. lionaire

lionaire Member

True, but no one really played in position. I see where you're coming from though.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I hope so also. What I really like is they recognized their scorer in durant. When the us has these super teams, they all kinda want to take turns and do their thing. These young guys kinda defferred and spoted their scorer. I also like the versitility and mix. I've told people many times that the best players aren't always the best fit when you don't get extensive practice time.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I can't agree on taking all of these same guys to London in 2012. Some of them have no business being on the national team, especially Chandler & Granger. Billups will be too old (and his performance was in serious decline the last couple of games). Unless Rudy Gay improves a lot, leave him behind.

KD is a definite. Rose and Westbrook probably belong. All of the other guys are very iffy. If KD hadn't played at a level above, this team would have crashed and burned.

11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I agree with your premise. I think the competition should be open for spots in London, but I don't agree that Tyson Chandler has no place on the team. He is a premier defensive center and with the FIBA rule about being able to touch the ball on the rim, he becomes even more valuable.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Chandler is sorry, despite your hypothetical points. The fact he was glued to the bench behind Lamar Odom proved it. He just isn't good enough. The guy is a huge liability on offense and his defense doesn't come close to making up for it.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If the Miami LeBosh Wade trio take their South Beach act to the Olympics, that might be enough natural chemistry already in place. Douchy as they are, tough to leave those guys out.

For being one of the few true centers on the team, Chandler is replaceable. Dwight Howard, Lamarcus Aldridge, Amare Stoudamire, Brook Lopez, Kendrick Perkins, David Lee possibly, Greg Oden if he ever stays healthy, all of them are ahead or comparable to Chandler at center and they're already on the national roster.

Heck if you're into the advanced stats, Kevin Love was SEVERELY UNDER-played. Through last week 7 games in, his rebounding rate was off the charts. 25 boards per 40 minutes :eek: He literally equaled all of Lamar Odom's totals in HALF the time. Though he averaged the LEAST minutes on the team :confused: Yes its a Kevin Love plug. I think he should be on the next team.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=7336

Keepers for Olympics are:
    Durant
    Rose
    Westbrook
    Iguodala
    Love
    Curry (designated outside gunner)

Though if the same exact team went to the Olympics I wouldnt mind. Every single guy on the team except Odom and Billups will be an improved player or the same.

14. mazyar

mazyar Member

It's never too early to look forward to what the USA starting line-up might look like for the Olympics. This is considering everyone is willing to play in the Olympics ofcourse. Except Kobe as I think he will be too old to participate.

PG: D. Williams
    SG: D. Wade
    SF: K. Durant
    PF: L. James
    C: D. Howard

That is scary good.

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

We got really lucky we didn't have to face Argentina.

Scola would've wiped the floor with Odom.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Like he wiped it with Linus Kleiza, going 5-16?

The US has beaten Argentina something like 5 times in a row since losing to them in 2004, with none of the games really even being close.

Argentina is the team that has given the NBA-era Team USA the most trouble, however, having won 2 out of 13 matchups.

The bar for success is pretty high for the US.

#276 SamFisher, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am proud of our team, and man is Kevin Durant one great player at 21....jeez !

DD

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this wouldn't make sense matchup-wise.

the two teams in the Gold Medal game earned their way there by beating all the remaining teams.

19. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I would tend to agree that Love was underplayed. It seemed that every time he was in the game, he was all over the boards. My guess is that Coach K felt the minutes he was getting was maximizing his output and that any more PT would give him diminished returns. Another thing to consider is that Love was nursing an injury during Team USA training camp and he may not have wanted to push him if he didn't have to.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

it would also add games after the gold game, so yeah I realize the predicament. Just my opinion though.