1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World Championships 2010

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sbyang, Jul 20, 2010.

1. sbyang

sbyang Member

The US team has started to practice and this competition will be underway soon. I looked at the roster of the US team and I think they will have a hard time in the tournament.

There is a major lack of continuity as there will be no players returning from 2008. There is lack of experience, most of these guys are youngsters who never made it past the 1st round of the playoffs. Billups and Rondo are the 2 who have been in big games, and Rondo's spot is not assured on the team.

It looks like 2002 to me, a bunch of secondary NBA guys (Durant the only exception) thrown together for a month and expected to compete with teams around the world that have played together for years and years.

There is hope for the team. There shouldn't be any alpha dog battles. Durant should get most of the shots and Billups is going to be the one calling plays. The world teams will also be weakened by guys pulling out, Gasol and Ginobili will not play so they won't have as hard a road. But remember when the greek team led by Vspan embarrassed the US? I suspect 2010 will be more like that than the lovefest/party it was in 2008.

2. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

3. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

anybody got a link for nba tv streaming now?

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

ummm...the tournament doesn't start until aug. 28

5. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

yea nba tv has training camp show on live right now

6. sime0n

sime0n Member

They put most of the NBA tv show on nba.com

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Team USA will have a very tough time winning. But if you consider this as preparation for 2012, it may be better for the younger players participating that the major stars won't be on the team. KD, Rose, etc will get more playing time, experience and seasoning. Losing this summer may also sting and motivate them more in 2012 than winning. I believe losing in 2006 help to shatter what could have been a fatal dose of overconfidence in 2008.

I can't wait for the games to start. It will be tough to watch them lose, but that is what I expect to happen.

8. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

The more I think about it, the more I agree with you. The 2008 team, on top of the ridiculous amount of skill, was filled to the brim with experience where as these kids are young, don't know each other well, and, most importantly, too anxious to prove themselves. I really worry about their chemistry. The 2008 team had players who more or less knew each other very well after playing against one another for 6-7+ years, the opposite of this 2010 team.

A statement Kidd said during an interview at the camp put it very well and basically described the microcosm of the 2008 team and this 2010 team. He said that when the 2008 team was stretching at their first day of camp, they were all talking and having fun. Then he pointed out that the 2010 team was deathly quiet.

They're probably gonna lose but it'll inspire the young guys like Curry, Rose, Evans, and Durant.

9. wonderboy2313

wonderboy2313 Member

Puerto Rico!!! That's my team. :)

10. TheGoldenGreek

I always watch these international basketball tournaments! Even though USA doesn't have another "redeem team" I think they are still the favorites to win it all...they are just far too superior athletes. Regardless of that fact though, I'm still gonna watch my Greek boys and hope for the best...maybe we can repeat an '06 upset :p ;)

11. Convictedstupid

Will these games be shown on NBA tv? Or atleast the USA games?

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I think ESPN will show all the USA games

1 person likes this.
  13. sbyang

sbyang Member

I think Spain is the favorite, with the US and Greece close behind.

14. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

Is Scola going to play for Argentina ?

15. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

Scola will play, unlike Ginobili.

And Croatia will make the first upset. Yes, their opening game is against USA. :grin:

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

This Team USA will dominate. This isn't filled with all-star/superstar egos. Just guys that go out and want to win games. We have more than enough talent. Another breezy trip to the GOLD for Team USA. We're back, and we're aren't leaving without a fight.

17. worzel gummidge

It's a new group put together feeling their way around. I don't think they'll gel in time to get gold.

18. Karolik

Karolik Member

You're going to be in for a surprise.

19. sbyang

sbyang Member

Billups, Rondo and Odom are the only ones with playoff success. Have any of the rest even won a playoff series? I will be that the overall NBA record of these guys is under .500. I'm sure they won lots of games in AAU and high school, the last time most of them played a big game.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah you haven't played for real until you've played in a 400-seat barn against Sportuklub Stavros, with capactity for 500 if you remove the hay bales.

Sorry Kevin Durant but you just don't know what it's really like.