1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Go to your doctor, get some TRT and do a simple program like P.H.A.T. for an extended period of time.
    Problems solved b****es. Be looking like Artemus Dolgin by the end of the year.
    You're welcome.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

A year ago I did keto for three months and lost 51 pounds. Then, my wife got pregnant and I told her I'd gain the weight back and lose it with her.

I gained it back, which is crazy. Everyone thought I was crazy.

Now, the baby is two months old. I've been doing keto again. Haven't been working out because my gym is in my unheated barn and it's been too cold, but I'm still down 24 pounds in about a month and a half.

Right now, I'm at 6'2/6'3"ish and weigh 224. Once it warms up, I'll hit the gym and working out harder. My goal is to go sub 200, and then I'll see what I want from there. I haven't been sub 200 in about 16 years, and I'm 30.

I could have been doing things in my house, such as Insanity, but decided to see what diet alone will do for me. Sure enough, I've discovered what everyone will tell you.

DIET IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.

Figure out what works for you. Stick to it. It will work.

mikol13 and joeson332 like this.
  3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

any tips, book recs, anything on how to eat better? i walk 15 miles a day...plus do cardio or combination of lift/cardio (3x a week) and i'm still adding weight. just went to the doctor today for a check up.

i don't eat great...in fact i don't really even think about it. then again i'm a noob and have no idea where to begin when it comes to food.

any help out there for me?

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Well there you go. 80% of weight loss is what you put in your pie hole.

eat single ingredient foods - meat, vegetables, fruits.

Two Sandwiches and Nook like this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Why would you walk 15 miles a day? That just seems like overkill for a low-return-on-investment exercise. It seems all that exercise is being negated by a poor diet. I just think there are much better ways to exercise daily than spending the time necessary to walk 15 miles a day. If I'm walking 15 miles a day and not losing weight, then I'm going to say "screw that". In comparison, I currently run 3 miles and walk 2 a day. And, I eat healthy and restrict meal portions to healthy sizes while not overconsuming on calories...and I'm losing weight. And, I throw in weight lifting. I would spend more time weight lifting than walking 15 miles if I were you. I would be worried about how my body is going to hold up long term if I were walking 15 miles a day. That's a crazy amount of walking. At least make it count by eating right.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

If you continued your exact same workout regimen but just looked into doing intermittent fasting and just TRYING at it constantly you will lose weight.

I find it easiest to skip breakfast and elected to eat at around noon for my first meal. My last meal is no later than 8.

This is called the 16-8 intermittent fast. It’s not a diet but just an eating pattern. But it does work.

After you get used to it for a while it gets significantly easier to do. And over time it gets even more easier to cut portion sizes and start making healthier food choices.

7. MystikArkitect

Lift heavy and high intensity 4x a week. Do plyometrics or ropes 5th day as your cardio. Walking/jogging doesn’t do crap for fat loss. You have to force your body to burn it with high intensity. If you want to run do it at high speed and short bursts. Half mile or a mile. Still lift.

Throw away your entire pantry and eat nothing but unprocessed food for 3-4 months. Beef, chicken, fish, vegetables, fruit, and a lean protein. Once you get in the habit it really isn’t that hard and you won’t want to screw it all up by eating pizza or something. Also stick to tea and water.

Reiterating what others said, if you eat bad it doesn’t really matter what you do. But if you eat well and work out 4-5 times a week you’ll be surprised how quickly your body will shape up. I started at the beginning of January and down to 16% BF. I go 5-6 times a week, monitor macros every day, and keep track of every routine.

Good luck.

joeson332 likes this.
  8. theimpossibles1

There is a ridiculous amount of material on the subject. A plant based, whole food diet is ideal.

You are going to have to replace unhealthy foods with healthy foods, that's what it comes down to.

9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Ive lost 46 pounds since last year and staying at 179-182 range for the past 2 months. Really want to try and hit 170 so I want to try the keto diet

after my Mexico trip next week of course.

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Small sample size. Gave up alcohol for a while and started heavy lifting and the changes were unreal. If you stay commited to it, you'll see a difference but you have to put the work in.

11. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

Lol forgot to mention. My job is why I walk 15 miles (I’m a mailman). But yeah I try to get 3 lifts in a week and cardio on off days.

Trust me when I first started this job like the first 3 months I dropped a ton of weight. Actually got down to what I weighed in high school. Body has just adjusted to all the walking I guess. So have tried doing different stuff at the gym (stair master/elliptical) to help but no luck

12. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

Any book recs? When I said I’m a newb I mean I need something to walk me through it all. Meal prepping and all. Anything out there like that? That basically helps you map it out in terms of meals, ingredients to buy, how to prepare the food etc?

13. MystikArkitect

P90X nutritional plan is what I used.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea, I was thinking maybe it was your job that allowed you to walk so much. Otherwise, not sure how you would find the time. lol.

I think that's great you get to exercise on the job like that. Cubicles are the worst place to be bar none.

I agree...your body definitely adjusted. You just need to shock your system with some different exercises with some intensity as was mentioned.

15. theimpossibles1

Are you looking to completely overhaul your diet or just make gradual change? If the latter, what foods would you guess are currently attributing to the weight gain?

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Anybody doing anything crazy like OMAD (one meal a day)?

I may start this. I've been doing a 5/2 for three weeks. Got off keto because I got bored with it, and my wife wasn't able to do it since she's breast feeding.

She works weekends, so those are my two fast days. I eat about 500 calories a day on the weekends. Usually sushi, some yogurt, and a rice cake or two. I feel great by Sunday. During the week, I feel terrible because I have a hard time regulating myself.

That's why I'm thinking about OMAD. I can still have a nice meal with my wife for dinner. My coworkers will probably think I'm crazy if I'm not eating lunch, but I'll probably walk during lunch.

My hope is that OMAD will lead to more exercise (especially if the weather ever gets nice), less money on food, I'll feel better, and hopefully I'll pick the weight loss back up. I've been holding steady for about a month.

I know some might think I'm crazy, but I'm the kind of person that needs a strict set of guidelines to follow when it comes to dieting.

Questions, comments, rude remarks?

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Update, still at it strong. Never satisfied

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Anybody rock fitness trackers? thoughts?

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Started Keto a month ago. I’ve lost 20 pounds. I wasn’t in bad shape to begin with, but did carry too much weight in my midsection.

I’m 46 and determined to get in the best shape of my life and that’s actually saying something. I work out 3-5 times a week and run when I can. I’m going for a more lean physique than I am size. It’s absolutely working.

Sweets and large portions were always an issue for me, I love to eat and have always been a foodie. No more. Although I can still eat more than I imagined I’d be able to. This lifestyle has me crazy motivated. I don’t really crave garbage anymore.

So my “Keto flu” lasted about two weeks. I had zero energy and couldn’t workout. Once I came out of it, I started feeling great and it just keeps getting better and better.

I highly recommend this lifestyle change if you want to lose weight and feel better overall . If you do it, do it all the way, cheating will only set you back. Once you see the results (and they’re almost daily) you will want to keep pushing and thoughts of cheating are few and far between.

No matter what you do, have a solid plan and stick to it. I will say though, the results with this are crazy fast if done properly.