1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Swishh

Swishh Member

Do you have to touch the bar with your chest in order for it to count as a complete/full rep? (bench press)

2. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

so much this.

1 person likes this.
  3. Classic

Classic Member

I learned in my certification course those last couple inches are more shoulder ligaments (rotator) than it is your pecs doing the work. Now, I'll let my elbows break parallel (to the floor) but not a whole lot--which has the bar about 2 inches off the chest. I had a rotator injury years before so it made sense to me--but of course now I don't go as heavy as often as I used to.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First thing I'll say is that stretching and flexibility training is more important than weights for overall health. I don't just mean stretching before or after you work out to alleviate soreness, I mean training to get more flexible.

Weights, or push ups, sit ups, pull ups etc. can help, and I would never discount that.

But flexibility keeps your body younger, helps you tone, keeps you from getting injured, improves coordination, movement, and power. There's a reason why kids can fall and not really get hurt, and part of it is that they're more flexible.

Combine that with other types of training and it's the best. Working out to build muscle mass will help your cardio because your body becomes more efficient at burning fat. It helps with your strength, and muscle tone as well.

A lot of how ripped you get depends on genetics too, so don't beat yourself up if you aren't seeing the exact results you want while putting in a lot of work.

I have most definitely experienced and seen people getting bigger than they want because of weights. It might not happen often, and it also depends on what a person wants for the results.

5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

If this is the case, then they simply need to lose some bodyfat. I have still yet to hear a case of 'too much lean muscle mass'.

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Maybe we're talking about two different things. If I misunderstood I apologize.

I mean people who wanted a lean, cut, look, but ended up getting bigger muscles and bulk that wasn't what they were after. All it took was a slight adjustment to workout routine, and it was fixed. I don't think it's a huge problem, but based on genetics/diet/metabolism/etc. some work outs can have different workouts than what the person wants.

7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I think we're on the same page :). I believe you're referring to the 'powerbuilder' look... but being too big with this kind of build isn't because the muscles are too big, it's due to carrying too much fat. If any of these dudes leaned out (while retaining the same level of lean muscle mass), they'd get that look they wanted. I don't think the actual workout itself is ever the problem, it's always diet... any jackass can go hard in the gym consistently... it's much harder to get the diet locked in.

8. Asian Sensation

This.

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It might be, it's just that their diet didn't change and their workout did, and the results were less bulk while retaining the cut and toned look they'd wanted.

I think it might be that there's more than one formula to reach the same results.

I agree that it's hard to get locked in on a good diet.

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Bulk until you can rep out 315 on the squat/DL/bench, otherwise theres really no point

But seriously, watch alot of training footage, and video how you lift. The amount of people I see in the gym who are obviously noobs (i use the term affectionately) and just exhibit downright horrifying form is just rediculous. Rounded backs, quarter squating, eugh. Youtube Omar Isuf, Elliot Hulse, there are some other good ones that have some decent videos on how to lift properly.

Surefire way to a snapped up back is lifting heavy weights like a r****d.

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Has anyone here used MusclePharm Combat Protein (Cookies & Cream)? Was at Costco and saw a 5lb for $33.99 ($42.99-$9 off until 1/26) so I grabbed one. If this tastes even halfway decent I'll probably get a few more. The weird thing is that most places only sell 2lb or 4lb, but Costco has it in 5lb? Everything looks the same as the link below...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/musclepharm/combat.html

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Only MP product i've used is assault. Is that just whey?

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That's definately a good bang for your buck. I wouldn't be too worried about taste nowadays, it's not like it use to be ten years ago. I remember sweating drinking some of the stuff. I really don't care about taste but results.

Right now I have the 5 lbs phase 8 tub for $29. It's delicious and it has 50 servings and I wake up feeling good. It's also priced balls deep on bodybuilding. It's one those time realease proteins which claims to have 8 hours longetivity.

It's all just advice, you can buy whatever the **** you wanna buy.

1 person likes this.
  14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Pretty much... this is what they say 'CombatĀ® Powder is precision-engineered with whey protein concentrates, hydrolysates and isolates, egg albumen, micellar casein.'

Yeah I don't really care about taste, it just has to be halfway decent so I can shoot it quick and easy. Especially since I just rawdog it with water anyways bc I don't like milk.

Where did you get that Phase 8 so cheap? I've heard a lot about that one, but have yet to try it. This Musclepharm Combat stuff is supposed to be 8 hours time-release as well... whatever lol. I think most of this stuff is just marketing bro-science... I've been using the Wal-Mart poverty Body Fortress crap and getting just as good of results as when I used to use 'high quality' stuff. Plus it tastes pretty damn good.

That being said... I just tried it for my post-workout and it was hnnnnnng... brb going back to Costco before the 26th to scoop up at least 3 more tubs. (Unless I can get that Phase 8 for $29). Will probably rotate a few different ones just to have some taste variety.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Nutrition depo off louetta, google it and see the website. It's posted as the January month sale. They also give good advice sometimes, make sure they're not trying to shove commission products down your throat.

A lot of people think they are getting a good deal with the walmart but when you really count the servings you see that youre just paying half for half the servings.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Since you like taste, stop at your HEB and get promax cookies and cream protein bars. That stuff taste better than a snicker bar.

17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Ha, yeah I realized that a while ago about Wal-Mart... that poverty Body Fortress was still $20/2LB. At that point I was already accustomed to/liked the flavor and it was convenient since Wal-Mart is right across the street from my gym and I go through these things so fast. Kept planning on making a big order online but never got around to it.

18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Damn, I just stocked up... I have 8 variety boxes of the Pure Protein bars (18 bars/box)... was not a huge fan of the taste at first, but I've been eating them daily for a couple months now and they've become an acquired taste to the point that I actually look forward to them now.

The best tasting protein bars I've ever had are the ZonePerfect bars that you can get at Target/Wal-Mart... specifically Fudge Graham and Cinnamon Roll flavors. I use these on cheat days since they're kinda high in sugar (15g). What's HEB? Is that a Houston thing? I'm in Cali... but I might go to GNC to try some of those Promax bars.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Oh. GNC is expensive as hell, how bout vitamin shoppe. Yeah I had a box of pure protein bars. That peanut butter is nasty ass hell the others were ok. 1.25 a pop for promax. HEB is a cheaper version of Kroger.

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

cheke brah, I'm pretty sure he lives in California and:

1) There's no nutrition depot there
    2) Everything is expensive as hell compared to here :p