1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

make sure you bench at least 315lbs, then go on a cut.

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

you think if i do elliptical daily for 30 minutes, and pushups (like 30 a day), i can see results?

i'm 5'8" and 170 so def need to lose it

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Doing nothing to doing something will see results, depends alot on diet though

If you're workout is more effective fasted then on a full stomach then yes, ultimately though its down to total caloric intake. If you feel better in the gym training fasted, then do it, if you feel fat/bloated even with a small meal beforehand then theres your answer

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Here's some good advice I got over the years.

- My golden rule is: weight loss doesn't equate to fat loss, and weight gain doesn't equate to fat gain. Unless you're going to get an accurate reading of your body fat %, I find it most helpful to take one quick look at myself in the mirror at the same time everyday. Weighing yourself on a scale is an ok indicator I guess, but for a lot of people it toys with their mind.

- Before you start a strict diet, you must BELIEVE that you will have insane cravings and you will/must ignore those cravings multiple times on a daily basis at least for the first few weeks. Visualize it now. Acknowledge it now.

- You have to acknowledge that diet food is unlikely to taste better than non-diet food (of course there are exceptions, and if you have time there is a world of delicious healthy food you can prepare). Delicious healthy food is more time consuming and expensive than delicious unhealthy food.

- You need less food than you think you need. You'd be amazed what your body can do with lots of well timed tiny portions.

- If you have excess body fat and you are not doing intensive training, you don't really need carbs other than 1 serving 1 hour before your workout. The rest of the time, your body will burn your body fat for energy. However, because that process is slow, and during your workout you need a more accessible form of energy, that's why carbs before your exercise are helpful. Also if you don't have carbs in your system, and you strain your body, your body will think it's starving and limit your fat burning process to "save" itself from starvation.

- Same goes for protein shakes: you don't really need them except as soon as you finish your workout (again, unless you are doing intensive training). The rest of the time rely on protein-rich foods. Same reason: you can digest protein from food at a regular pace all the time, and protein doesn't turn into fat (though it might come with fat attached). After your workout though, you need a QUICK protein intake, so a shake works well.

- Hungry and already ate? Drink water. Thirsty? Drink water. Just woke up? Drink water. Going to bed? Water. Water. Water. Don't aim for the daily recommendation. Exceed it. This will make you puff up for a while, and your body won't look as cut as it really is, or weigh as little as you had hoped. It doesn't matter. Water helps everything, including fat loss, and ultimately/eventually leads to healthy weight loss and better overall health.

- Watch out for fruit juice. Great nutrients, but people almost always drink too much.

- Don't burn out early, treat the experience like a marathon and the finish line is decades from now. You're not going to work out on maximum forever so figure out what's possible to fit into the rest of your LIFE.

- Stevia and Agave help a lot when you try to cut sugar out of your diet.

- This may be just me: avoid artificial sweeteners. I don't gain weight from them, but I have noticed that they severely slow down my fat loss process.

- Fruits and veggies. Choose your favourites, and look up the nutritional data for those.

#24 Mathloom, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  5. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

somewhat related but:

anyone know of any good workout headphones? the ipod cheapies crap out on me from the sweat.

the cheaper the better...but do need ones that are at least waterproof/resistant.

thanks.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

do HIIT on it. intervals. When I do the elliptical, I crank it up to its highest resistance and highest incline for two minutes, then down to a medium level for two mins, then back up for 2 mins, etc. I do that for 40 mins when I do an elliptical workout. It burns around 600-700 calories.

if you don't get your heart rate up on the elliptical, you're wasting your time.

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Waterproof headphones are their own special category I think. If you want one that doesn't break down from sweat, I really prefer the J10 from Sony.
    [​IMG]
    10$ and I'm on my 2nd set since like 2004. Besides beats, which make no sense to be in a gym, they're the other pair I see the most.

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

perfect, will def give em a try. thanks!

9. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Don't drink alcohol right after you work out. I have many friends who bust their ace at CrossFit and the gym, but are still tubby because they go to the bar right after. Alcohol erases everything you've done.

Oh, and don't waste money on supplements.

10. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Get ripped? No way. Have a healthier heart, sure.

Not to be rude, but I think if you want to workout like that you aren't in it fully mentally. Is anything stopping you from doing more? Try lifting weights 3 times a week...core lifts.

Also, avoid these intensity workouts. They can work, but dedication to these is weak and always doing high intensity doesn't help create a strong base. A plan you can stick to long term is much much better than trying to get super results super fast.

Also, do cardio slow!! Building a cardio base will give you better results than trying to run/bike/ect faster.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lmao yeah avoid any intense workout. Great plan son

do you even lift, bro?

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

100% true. People want the muscles but nobody wants to squat, do pull ups or even bench press. Everybody wants to just lose weight and magically those muscles will appear with shredded abs, because everyone says low bf makes abs appear which is partially true if you had a strong base. They forget to mention that part 99% of the time.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Subscribe to Christian guzman youtube channel. A native houstonian kid, and maybe you can hit his gym soon.

14. SK34

SK34 Member

Man, having a good nutrition plan is soo hard..

It's hard finding "Halal" healthy food.. I need to learn how to cook also.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That discipline is hard.

What is your height and weight?

16. SK34

SK34 Member

5'10. 170. 14% body fat.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

How much can you bench press?

18. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

I really don't like this as a measure of strength or power in a person. There a lot of variables that come in to play. The grip (wide or narrow), if you pause or not at the bottom(or even if you touch chest at all), any assisting equipment etc.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like it a lot as a measure of muscle progress regarding appearance.

20. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Depends what your goal is I guess. What are you training for?

Weight loss? Overall well-being? Strength? Appearance?

I'm currently just training for strength and explosiveness so I generally don't bench that often.