1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Working Downtown

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Austin's downtown is interesting because the tallest buildings are condominium towers, and several more are going up. It's been a trip watching this all happen over the last 5-10 years. They sell out quickly. I always thought of Chicago being a far larger version of that. Lots of downtown condo towers. Hey, I watched Bob Newhart!

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Spring in downtown Houston when the Rockets are fin'in to go deep in the playoffs will be fantastic.

Your job now will be to make sure your corporate season tickets are utilized by the best fans in the company, and to encourage as many coworkers to get on the bandwagon, get tickets and show up early.

If I were you, I'd immediately buy a mini-pack and share it with fellow downtown cfnetters @Harrisment and @R0ckets03 ... and take pictures.

Harrisment, HR Dept and R0ckets03 like this.
  3. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I got your back bro

cheke64 likes this.
  5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The tunnel is nice the first time you use or discover it. Bring cash as most of the smaller merchants tend to require a $5 minimum to use your card.

I preferred Greenway to Downtown, and the time I worked in Westchase was really convenient. My last gig in downtown I was paying $150/month for parking and worked at 1001 MicKinney, horrible building: especially having to get the security desk to turn on the AC during the weekend, and having our firm get charged for it.

HR Dept likes this.
  6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Never tried Mango Tree, but will do so. Leaf and Grain is solid for a salad. I like it better then Salata.

7. R0ckets03

Nope. Any good? I can make a mean steak at home, so unless its Pappas or Steak48 on a special occasion I don't tend to eat steak outside.

8. R0ckets03

Dude...I'm starting to see the meter maid again the past week. So you are bound to get a ticket. I have to move to different downtown buildings throughout the day so I use the $7 hopper as well.

9. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Did Chick-fil-A promote you from the suburbs to their downtown location? Congrats, breh! :D

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Downvoted. I heard your workplace McD's have negative equity value LMAO

11. hvic

hvic Member

you mentioned phoenica so I thought maybe you tried it. been wanting to try it out but tuesday/thursday I work late

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

Doozo Dumplings are a must try, as is the Seafood Gumbo at Treebeards. (only served Thursday & Friday.) Two items I miss greatly since I stopped working Downtown.

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

Get the Raspberry preserves the next time you are there. It's awesome.

hvic likes this.
  14. theimpossibles1

Parking bad. Traffic bad. Food good. And food options, oh yeah and food places. Oh, that one specific food place.

Did I mention FOOD?!?

Am I doing it right???

No wonder we are such a ****** city.

CallMeTheDream and kubli9 like this.
  15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I worked a few summers at the federal courthouse while in law school. I really liked working downtown. The tunnels are great to avoid the weather and the food options are abundant. Someone mentioned Dozoo Dumplings, its a must stop place, but get there early or they run out. Also Treebeards and Phoenicia of course. Parking sucks and is expensive, but the traffic isn't actually that bad imo.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  16. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

You're older than the dirt you sleep in.

Nook and Deckard like this.
  17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

One of the best things about working in downtown is all the hobos and bums hanging around. For $20 they will allow you to knock them senseless, basically a quick sparring session without having to go to an actual gym. Win-win for all.

LonghornFan and R0ckets03 like this.
  18. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I now work in the Williams tower in the galleria. 54th floor. Now tall buildings around me, but great view. I face west now, but when I started, I was in a corner office (I shared it with another person, so not super glamorous) where I could see from Memorial city, all the way around to Reliant.

I think the Galleria traffic is worse than the downtown traffic though, especially 610 and during the holidays.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  19. R0ckets03

Their chicken shawarma plate with hummus. If it wasn't $14 I would eat it everyday all day.

20. hvic

hvic Member

thanks for the recommendation.