1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[work advice] Facing bullying, should I stay at my current job?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by W22_STREAK, Jul 19, 2015.

1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Hey guys I think you guys totally misunderstood me from my second post.

I don't intend for everyone to like me. I really couldn't give a *** if people liked me or not. I know my own strengths and weaknesses and I don't care if people didn't want to associate with me.

Look, I am not attractive looking at all now. I actually think I am rather ugly. I know that came off really arrogant and douchey. I was only saying to make it seem like I have some merits of my own and not seem like some kind of hopeless loser. Its a bit like saying I want to suicide because of all the horrible things going on but then list somethings that I have going on for me to warrant having hope in life again. Please don't misunderstand me.

I don't intend for ANYONE to admire me or like me, if they don't like me then it is their problem as I have done nothing wrong or don't need to do anything to please them. However I made the mistake that I think I must fit in with my colleagues at all costs to succeed at work.

In hindsight I think I could have just been a lone wolf and not talk to anyone. In my life outside of work, I don't care if I am not accepted by anyone. I just move on if someone doesn't like me or want to associate with me. But I had this idea that I must be accepted by all colleagues to have a chance of succeeding at work as I (perhaps mistakenly) believed that relationships mattered more than work performance at work.

This is my first full-time job so I know that I am still very naive and have no idea how to behave in this kind of environment.

Because everyone else at work is always chatty at work with each other. I made the mistake that I must join in and become one of the boys. But now I realise that that isn't necessary. I can just keep quiet to myself and just do my work and everything will be fine. The boss won't judge you by how well you get along with others, as I wrongly believed in before.

He is the most popular guy at work so I thought that to fit in at work socially, I must first be his friend. What happened was that nobody talked to me when I first got to the company. Then I tried to break the ice with everyone by trying to say funny things and not take myself too seriously. I found that when I would have a conversation with him, albeit a small one, others would start opening up to me and perhaps take an interest in me. I had this idea that if I could be his friend, then everyone else at work would open up to me. Otherwise I'd just be like an outsider in the company.

I now realise what I should have done.

1) When he says **** to me I should just say similar **** back at him. Don't try to avoid or back down.
    2) If that fails, talk to management to have a talk with him so he will stop. If I just talked to him myself I would simply be ignored and not taken seriously. Only management had real power to change things.

From reading all the posts here, I found some of them to be quite valid points when I take a hard look at myself. I believe these are my weaknesses:

1) I try to hard to be liked/accepted by and please everyone.
    2) I care too much about being judged. I lack confidence in who I am.
    3) I am too conflict-averse. I should not shy away from bullies like this. Only tackling the problem head-on will solve it. I need to let him know I am not easy to mess with.

One more thing. Can I clarify the bullying that had happened during community college.

The community college bully, lets call him A. Since we were always in the same classes, and I am normally an outgoing person, if we happened to sit next to each other I'd try to start some casual small-talk conversation. After a few times I realised that he didn't take me seriously or respect me, and talked/treated me like a joke, or like I was a kid. I decided to move on and practically stop talking to him for all intents and purposes.

One day I was talking to my friends at school. He came up behind me and pushed my knee in. (Called toe-knee). I turned around and and I saw that its him. I laugh it off even though I was quite angry inside, and I believed that this is just a one-off incident.

The exact same thing happens next week. This time I realise that it is not an isolated incident and I tell him to go away. He, always believing that I am a total joke, didn't like to hear me to tell him to go away and he slapped my head. Now I am furious, and I grab him by the collar and swore at him to not mess with me or I'll f*** him up.

His friend reported the incident, and told me that I am facing suspension. I saw the head of department and that was basically it.

Anyways, please let me stress that I am not a "prettyboy". I was drunk when I typed that. I am not arrogant, and by all accounts get along with everyone quite well. I know I am naive, silly, perhaps a little immature. Hence that is why I am trying to seek advice through all channels possible, including this message board.

I went to see a doctor yesterday, and I will be attending professional counselling in two weeks time. I was prescribed anti-depressants and sleeping pills.

I have made a decision to resign from my job. I need to learn the lessons from this experience, and take aboard all the good advice fellow good samaritans have provided me with.

I will go back to school for one more semester. I will find a different job at the end of the semester. When my Bachelors is done I plan to pursue a Masters. I think I will cope better with a more mature and professional environment.

My emotional quotient is quite low, and I know that I am really dumb and silly.

So thank you again to all that had given me serious, good advice. My sincere appreciate to you.

1 person likes this.
  2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Lol seriously, this is terrible and straight out an ABC sitcom

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Just STFU!

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I didn't think of that.

What kind of things do you think I should be getting from this quarry mentor if I was to seek one?

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Are you a virgin?

1 person likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think it was wise to leave that job. Good luck going forward, but be mindful to not grow dependent on the antidepressants/sleeping pills.

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Like Fresh of the Boat.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well other than rock extraction tips, you could learn from him how to deal with with the culture.

There may be some elder quarrymen he were pretty boys just like you, or maybe they knew someone similar and helped guide them.

9. omgTHEpotential

This thread. Only in America.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Op be trollin hard

Great work OP

11. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I am going to be blunt here... You seem very immature and you have what I guess is extreme social anxiety. I am sure you are a nice guy and didn't deserve any form of bullying. Honestly the fact that you wrote out a paragraph this long and brought up stuff from high school shows you have social issues. I think it was a smart decision to see a counselor and get some outside perspective and help. The counseling, maturity, life experience and maybe some medication will help you through this.

Are sure these guys aren't just messing around and you are taking it the wrong way? Some of the things these bullies are doing are things that my friends and I did to each other back in high school. It may be a bit of persecution complex I don't know but I don't want to say they are not bullying you because I wasn't there.

Best of luck.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Lol atw, getting laid is the ultimate solution huh. I can't disagree.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Good luck op.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This made me cringe. Get a hold of yourself.

You seem to have been coddled by your parents.

#154 sammy, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  15. malakas

malakas Member

OP. Please answer this question. How OLD are you?

Good decision to see a doctor. Talk with him about your issues. You must realise that you are not a special case here. A lot of people suffer from job bullying, lack of confidence etc.
    This place is not a good place to get advice from though. It's a sports forum.
    I think you take the responses/jokes/criticisms here too serious, same as you did in your work.

You think that people care too much about appearance. Because you have low self esteem and judge yourself you assume others judge you as well. This is very evident by many things you have said already.
    You fail to realise that most here dont' give a damn if you are fat or prettyboy or whatever lol And it is the same in your work. People don't care if you are fat or have a small head or look like a korean pop star.

I still think that some of the things the other guy told you are racistic and should by no means be tolerated even as jokes. You should set some boundaries and make clear what jokes you can take and what you can't from people esp you don't know well and aren't your friends.

Now if you indeed quit your job, try to keep working on yourself and in the new job that you will start, make a new beginning.
    It will help you with your anxiety I think if you finally realise this : It's NOT the end of the world if you can't get along with someone. It's NOT the end of the world if someone doesn't like you. It's NOT the end of the world if you can't continue in this job.
    Life is long and it's not a race. Take some lessons from this experience and try to grow and mature as a person forward. You can come out of this a winner.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Geez. How did I miss this thread for so long.

First of all. Working in a small company isn't for everyone. Working around all male engineers isn't for everyone. Working in a small company around all male engineers certainly isn't for everyone.

In my job role, and in what I do for a living, mapping out Competencies of different job roles to personality characteristics is something I do on a daily basis. The Engineering group sticks out like sore thumb.

Smaller companies just aren't going to have the support of a strong HR department with full closed door policies. Even in my company, a company that essentially supports other organizations HR and talent development, we honestly lack a strong HR support system because of sheer size, and we have over 200 employees. Likely in a company like the one you described, likely the person or persons who are part of the issue would be the person you would go to in order to report something like this. That's always going to be an issue for situations like this, and representing individuals like yourself.

Normally, with work issues, quitting the job isn't the answer, but in a case like this, it might be that you would feel more comfortable in a larger corporate environment where you have more structure in place, and you could have more options for friends in the workplace to match your personality with.

Others here have given you the "toughen up" words of err encouragement I guess. Yes it does sound like growth and thickening your skin so to speak will do wonders for you in the your professional career. That's putting it lightly. But one thing I would say is it sounds like you need to get your professional seasoning with a larger company where you can grow a little bit more as a professional, and not stick out so much in a smaller company where you are going to NOT be supported in the case of bullying or aggressive management styles.

17. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

This thread totally backfired on OP. Wow.

18. Rox11

Rox11 Member

yall are harsh when hes

1. Naive and afraid
    2. Cocky and upfront
    3. Apologetic, vulnerable and depressed
    :confused:

19. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

you call that bullying?

20. Jugdish

Jugdish Member