1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Women's 4x100 relay Race Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pirc1, Aug 18, 2016.

?

Should US Team Be Given a Second Chance

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    85.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Do not know

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You can file a protest in any event - who else was bumped and filed a protest?

I recall on Sunday an Ethiopian runner was bumped in the steeplechase, lost her shoe, filed a protest, and was allowed to move on to the next round.

It's hardly unprecedented.

3. pirc1

You can protest all you want, plenty of protests in these games. Remember mary decker 1984 olympics? There are plenty of these instances through out the years. They do not go back and change the race results by letting someone race again.

4. hvic

hvic Member

people already hate us and will continue to hate as we lead in the medal count

5. pirc1

Exactly, we are running away with the medal count race anyway. People will just classify this under another example of the ugly Americans throwing their weight around.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I watched about 3 minutes of the US vs. Poland men's volleyball game yesterday. In that time, there were 3 protests on calls. Should those have been reviewed?

Considering the technology exists, it should be used and whatever the rules are, the protests should be upheld or denied based on that.

Remember the guy who lost his perfect game on the 27th out a few years ago before replay was enhanced and put into the rules? Should the result have been changed - no. Had it happened this year, should the result have been changed - yes.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

#1 - Who cares?
    #2 - Why should we get screwed by Brazil? The Americans should medal, the Chinese will not.

8. SamFisher

First off, you're right that collisions sometimes happen - usually they don't happen though in events where athletes are required to stay in their lane the whole race like the 4x100. I'm not going to bother looking in the rules but I would guess it's a per se violation.

Second, like I said, protests are filed all the time - the IAAF has a pretty well documented protocol. Somtimes they are upheld, sometimes they are not. It's like a coach challenging a call in basketball.

Seems like you are extrapolating your entire opinion based on one single incident from when one runner fell in a different race in 1984 and a protest was not upheld (though if I recall correctly that was a final, not a semi so the ramifications would have been a bit different).

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't care if the USA has won every single medal they attempted, if there is a protestable event, it should be reviewed and granted if applicable. Just because the US is ahead in the medal count, doesn't mean these ladies should not have a chance at their medal.

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/gpb9" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen scrolling="no" style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yeah I doubt they care much about simone manuel killing it if they feel they were not given fair play.

12. pirc1

If this was not the US team but jamaica team, do people believe they would be given a chance to run again, I highly doubt it.

13. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yes they should be given a second chance. Why not give them a fair chance to compete?

Sounds like stupid logic. You're trying to say they got a second chance because it's the U.S. and not because they didn't have a valid reason for why Felix dropped the baton? Really?

14. hvic

hvic Member

are you confusing Manuel with someone else?

15. pirc1

So from now on anyone effected by lane restrictions in running and swimming can request a special race in the future, if you can do it in semi why not the finals as well.

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I don't get why you believe that. If any contestant is interfered with, they should have a fair chance to compete.

17. pirc1

the reason is of course the Brazilian made an illegal move, I doubt other countries have the power to force a rerun.

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

They can protest it, yeah. They had a valid reason for it and were screwed out of having a fair chance at qualifying. Would you rather an athlete or team get cheated out because of bs? There was a swimmer earlier in the Olympics that jumped into the water too quickly because of a sound from the crowd. He was allowed a 2nd chance. Guess what? He wasn't from the U.S.

What power are you referring to? The U.S. can only appeal. There isn't some conspiracy here. Jesus lol. Do you realize how stupid you sound?

19. SamFisher

Why wouldn't they? :confused:

Do you have access to some sort of repository of IAAF appeals & protests at major meets and detect some sort of bias, or are you just basing your judgment on "what I remember about track which I only pay attention to every 4 years"

It seems to be the latter, becuase it doesn't seem like it's really all that unusual to have protests filed in track, and to have those upheld.

You're right, other countries wouldn't have to do a rerun, In the protest from earlier this week I referred to, runners from Ethiopia, Ireland and Jamaica were advanced to the finals of the steeplechase without having to do a rerun.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/spor...h_Diro_from_steeplechase_final-390081361.html

If anythhing they are being treated more harshly than those athletes.

#19 SamFisher, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Of course Jamaica would be given the same treatment.