1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woman recalled to Army Duty will bring Kids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Hak34

Hak34 Member

No the premis here is two part.

1. That because we are in a crap war In Iraq, that she is put in the position when realistically she doesn't have to be.

2. Stuff happens. As you can't seem to engage in free thinking, let me help you. No where in your enlistment does it say "you definately will be brought back" Now, I know your going to argue, that she should of been willing to wait for the next 8 years JUST in case, but it doesn't change the fact that she has two young children. Its not from lack of commitment as she has already enlisted during a war time era. AS ALREADY stated, it is extremely rare that person out of the military for so long to be recalled, but again because of Bush's war on WMD's, she is put in this situation. Let me break it down for you. Then by your own accord any kind of conciencious objector laws shouldn't exist. Or even better, what if a person decided to join a religion that conflicted with war or even the war with Iraq. How about if someone had a sex change? Private Ryan should never of been allowed to come either, damn how many brothers he lost, he was and enlistee. There are too many variables to single out this one parent to ad them into the military. You move on.

Also, the point Im making is that its always the person so not interested in being a part of something that has to be the most upset. If it truely bothers you that much, then do something about it, other than being so univisioned as to think taking the mother away from these two kids after she served her active duty enlistment is a good thing.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i am not sure what you mean by this. do you believe our military is made up of people who signed up for the benefits and didn't ever expect to work for those?

and while she did sign on for this commitment, it sounds as though the recruiters misled her and nothing changes the fact that our former commander in chief stretched our military way too thin by engaging in an illegal war based on lies. had the administration had not been so hell bent on going after iraq by making up lies about ties to al-qaeda and relying solely on shoddy intelligence regarding the wmd, quite possibly this woman wouldn't be in this position.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Do people on IRR get any compensation for being there?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't believe they do, they are just inactive.

DD

5. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

while i certainly didn't agree with going to Iraq (even back when we first went, not just in retrospect)... I do think she should have to keep her committment.

My logic is that there are many many people who have to change jobs in life, because "stuff happens". Why can't her husband change jobs too.

There are people who have elderly relatives who change jobs to help take care of them. there are people who change jobs for their kids education (move to a better school district) all the time.

I would have more sympathy if she was raising the kids by herself. But let's face it, there are a lot of single parents (which he would become if she went to Iraq) that raise kids while working...

Also as someone who has a younger female cousin who already has had to go to Iraq twice, it would bother me if those in active duty had to extend their tour of duty even longer because the number of replacements go down...

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

No...I am saying that when there is a possible downside to a choice that may happen, it is human nature to assume that it will never happen.

If people thought that the deal was a surefire way to have something undesirable later, they'd never take the deal.

I am sure that when she was active duty, she busted her butt and did her job well, as do the rest of our troops. I also believe that her enlistment was not complete. Now that she is being recalled, she is taking her kids so that she will not have to go.