1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woman pushes a "Suspected muslim" in front of subway

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Dec 29, 2012.

1. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I think one thing is clear - we need better train control in this country.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

^^ I think the train did stay on the tracks, from what I've read.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why does murder need the extra label of a "hate crime?" Isn't murder enough?

The woman targeted and killed the man in a pre-meditated way, and then ran away to escape the authorities. Whatever she is, she should be locked away for the rest of her life in prison.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Long before Hitler there were people demonizing and dehumanizing Jews.

When people start saying a people are inferior or they they book they worship is less in some way, you are helping to lay the necessary foundation that opens up violence against such people.

ATW isn't Hitler obviously. But that brand of rhetoric - if it is effective in convincing people, and lead to irrational hate which can lead to violence.

5. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Get these:

[​IMG]

Sadly America doesn't seem to have the money to do this...

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

by vocalizing her hatred she becomes the perpetrator of a hate crime. is she had stayed silent on her intentions and her feeling towards Muslims and Hindus, she would not be charged with a hate crime. that's what's messed up about it IMO.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If a book contains messages that are hateful, it is perfectly fine and even necessary to call that out.

Taking your statement above - if I say that Hitler's "Mein Kampf" book, which is worshipped by Nazis, is a disgusting, hateful piece of crap and therefore "less in some way" - you are saying that by doing so, I help to lay a foundation for violence?

That's ridiculous.

Some people are just really dumb.

8. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I agree with your premise, but ATW hadn't yet poked his head into the thread and he's brought up in comparison to Hitler. It's just trashy, drive-by bull**** and a sad example of how the country is unable to debate its differences amicably. Yeah, ATW has done his own share of whatever, but I just grow weary of the inability to talk to one another.

The Menedez woman is supposedly mentally ill and living in homeless shelters, but instead the focus is on ATW and his type as the culprit? I don't buy it. Also, what brand of rhetoric is it where you compare someone to Hitler? Is that any better than the brand ATW is sporting?

Anyway, thanks for engaging.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Excellent post: would subscribe.

Until a poster has a history of recommending deadly violence against a certain group of people, including pushing said people in front of trains, that poster is not really relevant to this thread.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You go beyond calling out passages, you demonize Islam and any worshipper of Islam. There are plenty of passages of the Bible that call for violence as well, you ignore that.

What you do is no different than the Muslims who says Jews are x,y, or z. You demonize Muslims the same way Muslims demonize Jews.

Both of these actions have consequences that open the door to others committing violence. You can take responsibility for that or say it's not your fault what others do...but the connection is there nonetheless

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

first of all there are no reports she is mentally ill. Being Bi-Polar does not make your mentally ill. She is homeless but apparently of sound mind based on family members.

Second, I never compared ATW to Hitler. I am just saying when your rhetoric is as incendiary as his is - and I think we can all agree it is, and it does in fact make Muslims look like a lessor people - it does give people a pretext for acting against those people. That's not the domain of Hitler, that's the domain of racists, segregationists, and the ignorant across the world.

I do think his rhetoric is germane to this thread considering the woman has a hate of brown people. When you demonize people like ATW does, like these crazy pastors at churches does - it spreads idiotic thinking such as the woman here has.

I am not blaming people like ATW for this atrocious act - but there is a connection and people need to be aware of it.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Stop making this thread about ATW. The fact was a man was killed after waking up and thinking he was going to work like no other. RIP.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Did anyone else catch the part from the article that she's been doing it ever since 9/11 (Beating up Hindus and Muslims?)

I wonder how many other times shes done something like this, its scary to think about.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Why does poor Hindus people get mixed up in all this, people are so ****ing stupid.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You've been called out using Godwin's Law before, yet you continue to do it and ruin discussions.

Mission accomplished, moran.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Jesus, why do people act like hate crime laws are some new weird thing? They are part of the Civil Rights act of 1968. They make so that spray painting the n word or swastikas on somebody's house isn't just treated as simple defacing of private property.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I brought it up because it felt like a sensational aspect to an already senselessly tragic event.

"Why would someone do such a horrible thing??"
    ""Ohhhh because she hates Muslims! That all makes sense now!""

:rolleyes:

#37 Invisible Fan, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Good post. Also, let us say for instance virtually every day for years a person came to the board continually who sought out and posted a link to nothing but stupid and often times ****ed up things done by African Americans who are very backward or uneducated, and then implies or even states relatively explicitly that these folks represent the whole, what would one think.

Rightfully most of the bbs sees ATW's behavior similarly. He fools only himself.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

A lie.

Another lie.

Idiocy.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Only if you are delusional.

Back to the thread, I think it's sad that someone is crazy enough to take an innocent person's life like this.

I usually try to stand back a bit at subway stops...just don't like being so close to the track.