1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woman pushes a "Suspected muslim" in front of subway

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Dec 29, 2012.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a hindu name, but she says she hates hindus just as much anyways.

Sad sad story, just another reason why we should be strengthening the bonds that bring us together than the ones breaking us apart.

NEW YORK (AP) — A woman who told police she shoved a man to his death off a subway platform into the path of a train because she has hated Muslims since Sept. 11 and thought he was one was charged Saturday with murder as a hate crime, prosecutors said.

Erika Menendez was charged in the death of Sunando Sen, who was crushed by a 7 train in Queens on Thursday night, the second time this month a commuter has died in such a nightmarish fashion.

Menendez, 31, was awaiting arraignment on the charge Saturday evening, Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown said. She could face 25 years to life in prison if convicted. She was in custody and couldn't be reached for comment, and it was unclear if she had an attorney.

Menendez, who was arrested after a tip by a passer-by who saw her on a street and thought she looked like the woman in a surveillance video released by police, admitted shoving Sen, who was pushed from behind, authorities said.

"I pushed a Muslim off the train tracks because I hate Hindus and Muslims ever since 2001 when they put down the twin towers I've been beating them up," Menendez told police, according to the district attorney's office.

Sen was from India, but police said it was unclear if he was Muslim, Hindu or of some other faith. The 46-year-old lived in Queens and ran a printing shop. He was shoved from an elevated platform on the 7 train line, which connects Manhattan and Queens. Witnesses said a muttering woman rose from her seat on a platform bench and pushed him on the tracks as a train entered the station and then ran off.

The two had never met before, authorities said, and witnesses told police they hadn't interacted on the platform.

Police released a sketch and security camera video showing a woman running from the station where Sen was killed.

Menendez was arrested by police earlier Saturday after a passer-by on a Brooklyn street spotted her and called 911. Police responded, confirmed her identity and took her into custody, where she made statements implicating herself in the crime, police spokesman Paul Browne said.

The district attorney said such hateful remarks about Muslims and Hindus could not be tolerated.

"The defendant is accused of committing what is every subway commuter's worst nightmare," he said.

On Dec. 3, another man was pushed to his death in a Times Square subway station. A photo of the man clinging to the edge of the platform a split second before he was struck by a train was published on the front page of the New York Post, causing an uproar about whether the photographer, who was catching a train, or anyone else should have tried to help him.

A homeless man was arrested and charged with murder in that case. He claimed he acted in self-defense and is awaiting trial.

It's unclear whether anyone tried — or could have tried — to help Sen on Thursday.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Friday urged residents to keep Sen's death in perspective as he touted new historic lows in the city's annual homicide and shooting totals.

"It's a very tragic case, but what we want to focus on today is the overall safety in New York," Bloomberg told reporters following a police academy graduation.

But commuters still expressed concern over subway safety and shock about the arrest of Menendez on a hate crime charge.

"For someone to do something like that ... that's not the way we are made," said David Green, who was waiting for a train in Manhattan. "She needs help."

Green said he caught himself leaning over the subway platform's edge and realized maybe he shouldn't do that.

"It does make you more conscious," he said of the deaths.

Such subway deaths are rare, but other high-profile cases include the 1999 fatal shoving of aspiring screenwriter Kendra Webdale by a former psychiatric patient. That case led to a state law allowing for more supervision of mentally ill people living outside institutions.

___

Associated Press writer Karen Matthews contributed to this report.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There was a similar incident in the NY subway just weeks before.

I don't like that this one is being billed as a hate crime.

Insane is insane...

3. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

If she can distinguish between a certain group of people enough to kill them why isn't it a hate crime? She might have some issues and will probably plead insanity but this is a hate crime imo.

4. trustme

trustme Member

What are you smoking? What makes you feel like this wasnt a hate crime?

5. Invisible Fan

My only problem is how the media is spinning it. Prosecutors can charge as they see fit.

If she's certifiable, that kinda gets her off the hate crime bit, doesn't it?

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

smfh, this ****ing society I can't even

1 person likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

9. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Killer and the man she killed:

[​IMG]

10. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Truly disturbing. Be careful out there, guys.

11. Invisible Fan

Seriously...I get on a subway everyday for work. The last incident more than spooked me out already.

12. dback816

dback816 Member

This is why I stay the hell away from the tracks. It's not like I'm ever in that much of a hurry to want to be the first wave to squeeze into a packed train anyway.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The continual obsession demonstrated by the ATW types leads to Holocausts and acts like this.

Are there some crazy, mostly uneducated backward Muslims doing despicable things? Sure, but being irrationally obsessed about this leads to stupid wars, and these type of hate crimes.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Of course she's certifiable. She murdered a man because he has a different amount of melanin in his skin than her.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Menendez is an Hispanic surname. Are you sure she wasn't darker than the victim?

16. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I would think that the people doing the despicable things leads to the wars. I had no clue ATW caused the holocaust. Doing that single handily is kinda impressive no?

17. trustme

trustme Member

He didn't say single handedly. He said atw types. Get a whole bunch of his type together and who knows what can happen.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Very disturbing. Feel sorry for the guy and his family.

Also, glynch and trustme showing their idiocy.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes of course it's possible. But the point I was trying to make is that she is so far from rationality that she assumed a person of a certain skin color was Muslim, and she killed that man intentionally. She intended to murder him. She did not intend to kick him onto the tracks and he happened to get murdered - though that would still fall under a reasonable number of possibilities to be expected from her action. I would venture to say that this is inherently an action which can be classified as certifiable and whether she is certifiable or not should instead be tested with the evidence of her whole adult life rather than just this one action.

Even the threshold which the media uses to identify someone as Muslim is ridiculously low. It's not like a person registered somewhere as Muslim or from a predominantly Muslim country or even someone who calls themselves Muslim falls into the category of beliefs which the general public links to Islam. In some countries you are registered as a Muslim at birth and this can't ever change. In reality, the man's religious beliefs are a small part of the story, whether he's Muslim or not. His skin color is also a small part of the story. The big part of the story is the murder and the intent - which have both been established. To think that people are disputing whether this is a hate crime is sickening and the media is fueling it.

If I were killed today, I would be counted as a Muslim in the media regardless of the fact that I don't share core beliefs with 99% of Muslims in the world and I don't engage in most of the ritualistic practices of Islam. Is this a fair assertion, or are these assertions made to appease the massive group of Islamophobic individuals whose erratic notion of a Muslim puts those Muslims near or in the category of "unpeople"? How many people, on this board alone, read a story about an alleged Muslim getting murdered and assume this it is the loss of a violence-loving, society-destroying, intolerance-spreading, gay-hating, freedom of speech-despising person? You bet your ass that if I were murdered, my criticism of America's foreign policy would be linked to my "listing" as a Muslim in no time, and I would be associated with aaaaall the perceptions of Islam which are widespread in countries where this media clster**** is dominant. No one would even think twice about it. Some would even be relieved in silence since it fits nicely in their "with us or against us" belief system.

Atrocious journalism. These media outlets are supposed to inform the public, instead they are focused on inflamming the public. This article is an atom in the universe of journalism which pushes people closer and closer to committing hate crimes. The irony.

20. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

ATW types caused the Holocaust? So we are essentially comparing ATW to Hitler? This is where the train comes off the tracks. That's pretty ****ed up.

1 person likes this.