1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woman died after Muslim nurse refused to help as he was praying

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gwayneco, Mar 25, 2012.

1. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Source

2. sw847

sw847 Member

wow that's f*&Ked up, don't think any religion would not support you to stop praying and go save a life.

anyway....condolences to the deceased family members.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Religion should be used to help people, not hinder them.

stuff like this always kinda angers me. it's the whole "I can't be an organ donor because then I will be imperfect for the afterlife" attitude---selfishness taken to a religious rationale. sigh.

4. False

False Member

The fact that no one, not the head nurse, not any nurses, and not any staff called an ambulance for 4 hours after this woman took such a hard fall has got to be a failure of care. This nursing home needs to reassess it's priorities and hire people who actually care about actually doing their job and then make sure they are doing it. I would hate to see this sub-par care be explained away as the failure of one individual when it seems to be the unfortunate result of a whole slew of failures at all levels. Or, in the alternative, maybe this poor nursing home was coerced into hiring this guy and he is just one bad apple who neglected his job simply because he felt like he could. If so he needs to lose his license and taken for all they can get. Additionally, no one should say anything bad about this nursing home because there was nothing they could have done at the time or beforehand to ensure that tragic incidents like this would happen to people under their care.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Strange article.

So did the nurse tell them to wait or did an other staff member assess the situation as not bad enough to disturb the nurse during his prayer?

They had to wait 5-10 minutes for him to finish his prayer, but they waited for 4 hours before calling an ambulance? My guess is the 3 hours and 50 minutes were more the cause for her death than the first 5-10 minutes. So I'm not sure how much his praying contributed to her death, it seems like they just miss diagnosed the situation and thought is was just not as bad as it turned out to be. You would think that if the nurse thought it was a life threatening situation he would help immediatly (If he doesn't than he is a terrible person IMHO).

I do have to say the Thread title is interesting.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Even if you do all the 5 daily prayers together, it won't take 1 hour. Nevermind 4 hours.

ATW, do we need more evidence?

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I read the article twice and am not sure I understand if there is causality between the praying and the old lady's death. I kind of doubt it. It seems like there are two different things at play here:

1) Initially, the nurse was praying and therefore refused to answer the call for help, for 5-10 minutes
    2) The nurse made a wrong decision not to have the lady taken to intensive care immediately and instead did nothing for 4 hours.

Seems like, if anything, decision no. 2) is what might have been a contributing cause to the death. Therefore I do not quite understand the significance of prominently mentioning the nurse's prayer in the headline of the article.

So, if more evidence is needed, it would be evidence on whether the lady was dying regardless of quick help or if a correct decision by the nurse to take her to intensive care immediately could have saved her life. Need more facts regarding that.

I do think, however, that if someone is on duty in a job where it matters to react immediately, that duty should take a higher priority than praying in that very moment (e.g., doctor, nurse, ambulance car driver, whatever). I guess if someone is very religious, they could always pray later. But having had the priorities wrong here, while being an indication of the nurse just not caring enough about his patients, didn't seem to have caused the death.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

True, good analysis.

However rest assured that in every Islamic sect you would not only be allowed, rather you are required to end your prayer if a life is in danger and you can stop it.

But at the same time, during prayer Muslims meditate and focus (aka khushoo3), which is essential (in fact, I believe it is one of the requirements). The rest of the world shouldn't really exist to you while you pray.