1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wojnarowski: Man Drafted Right After Marcus Morris Wants The Max, No Traction In Extension Talks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

No one has locked up Lebron since he sort of did it to himself against Dallas

#81 Aleron, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You guys make it sound like him or klay are asking for $20mill/yr. Just answer this, can he be the third best player on a championship team? If yes, then he is easily worth the $15ish mill/yr aka "the max" he is asking for.

3. Zbed

Zbed Member

Kinda hope he hits restricted free agency. Someone will rip him away from SA and give him the max.

4. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

Corrected

1 person likes this.
  5. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

KL will def get extended for the max. Spurs have a ton of cap space to play with next summer. The following summer, they can trade Splitter's expiring deal and even diaw to clear space and bring in another max player as well. As long as Pop and TP are around, they will always be contenders.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

He has a unique name. Kawhi... I always pronounce it cow-hee in my head.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

"Max" is relative.

8. mig0s

mig0s Member

Finals MVP = role player?

9. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Got to give it to him. I know your culture and all that, but Timmy ain't alway take a paycut. He took a paycut after he got major paid for a few contracts.
    Pay that man, without him you not ordering rings this past summer.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

How do you know this if you've never seen him in a different system??

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>At USAT: Are the Spurs about to make a mistake by not extending Kawhi Leonard? It's looking that way at the moment - <a href="http://t.co/9CwP6kdrTU">http://t.co/9CwP6kdrTU</a></p>&mdash; Sam Amick (@sam_amick) <a href="https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/527871864865976320">October 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Get it done Murry so we can welcome our stretch 4 and third star.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The 2014 2004 Tayshaun Prince?

14. alethios

alethios Member

Pops himself said Leonard was the future of the Spurs - that speaks volumes about the Spurs confidence in Leonard going forward. They'll probably pay him to stay.

15. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Pay the man. TV deal looms

16. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

They will probably compromise at a smaller discount.

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Oh hell yeah if he can join the Rox.
    Ariza is the glue guy.
    Leonard is the difference maker between a good team and a great team.

And yes, Finals MVP is not a fluke.

18. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

What makes Leonard so much better than a guy like Ariza?

I'm not saying Leonard isn't a good player because I'm a big fan but when you truly analyze it I don't see much a difference between our starting SF.

Keep in mind folks he averaged only 13 PPG last season on a high power offense spurs team.

19. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

You do realize that without that miracle shot by Ray Allen 2 years ago, Danny Green would be a finals MVP as well, right? It's the Spurs' system. The superstar marketing of the league has made people place too much emphasis on individual awards. The Spurs have been playing like a European team (except with NBA talent) so their individual accolades should probably be ignored, like they are in every Euro competition. I still like Kawhi a lot. He's just not the guy you build a new team around, which the Spurs will have to do at some point within his next contract.

That said, with desperate teams like Utah and Dallas giving players like Hayward and Parsons the max, I can see why Kawhi wants it too. The Spurs aren't desperate or starved for attention, so they're not very keen on that idea. Keep in mind, as I said, that SA will have to build a new core pretty soon and they know it. Leonard is not Duncan. Paying him the max will limit your options considerably.

20. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

I would like to see Leonard leave. That way, teams are reminded on how good the Spurs system is.

As good as the Finals MVP is (I agree, it wasn't a fluke), he would get destroyed by LeBron, Melo, and Durant if he will be in another system.