1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wojnarowski calls out Chase Budinger and the Slam Dunk Contest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yonizzel, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't care who's in the dunk contest as long as they can dunk. There are a lot of 3rd-tier and below players who can dunk. They need to bring the best dunkers from around the world in for this thing. Yeah, even though it's technically an NBA event, it should be THE dunk event, and there are people worldwide that would put NBA dunkers to shame. I don't need Lebron, Blake, or Dwight to see some nasty dunks.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah, but that's because the stars these days make so much money they'd rather just rest in the weekend rather than potentially embarrass themselves on national tv. Take for example Lebron, if he goes to the dunk contest and loses to say C-bud, he'll never live it down. The prize is only a few hundred K, if they made it a couple of mill more players would go there.

3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

He wasn't saying anything that hasn't been said several million times over the last few years. All-Star Saturday night isn't much of an event anymore. This article has been written dozens of times by dozens of writers before he wrote it.

He's right, but what can anyone do about it. The stars aren't going to compete in the events (particularly the Slam Dunk) anymore and no matter how unknown the players competing are, the NBA will put the event on because it still does good TV numbers.

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

They need to spice it up. Bring in the And 1 Dunkers, and some youtube winners and put them against the NBA. Then we will see some nice dunks and maybe the NBA guys will get embarrassed and finally step up their game.

5. dd89

dd89 Member

Dude, I'd MUCH rather see Budinger do his patented two handed white-man dunk than these fellas that you be talkin' bout. Naw mean?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/il-HGyPE89Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. jocar

jocar Member

Hell yes. I'd also love to see an And1 vs. NBA (rookies or rising stars) type exhibition. That'd blow away the 'celebrity game' which is always Zzzzz

7. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

Adrian Wojnarowski is well respected and it's not like he's lying. Nobody thinks #AirBud has a chance to win outside of #RedNation, but I have faith in my boy and I think other than Paul George, Chase has a great chance to win.

8. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

I don't know if it's a cultural thing or I'm getting too old or what but I find the All Star weekends to be painfully embarrassing to watch. I mean today I see it was Shaq v Chuck in the rookie game(which isn't even that now is it?), Dwight Howard constantly carrying on like an absolute muppet and just a big look at me everybody load of rubbish. I know the young ESPN bandwagon/player fan audience probably lap this crap up but I find it not at all entertaining. Fans voting for anything is also a bad idea, kids vote for names over performance... be it for the All Star starters or the dunk contest.

Going on what happened with Rudy F in the dunk contest, I am guessing Chase will have to jump from the 3 point line, do 9 flips, go through his legs in between each one and dunk on a raised to 20ft ring just to have a remote chance of making it further than the 1st round as a white guy in the dunk comp.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It starts with Stern.

Bring back the 70's style dunk contest.

More dunkers, more dunks and the judges decide the winner, not the f'ing fans.

David Stern sucks.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

OP took this out of context. Who cares about this guy's opinion?

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

I don't get why anyone would complain about the 3 pt contest not having star power. It has Kevin Love and Durant in it. Since when has a 3 pt contest featured all superstars?

Dunk contest that is another story.

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

i hate the garbage being said that the NBA product/game isn't at its best. Its expected, I'd rather have what we have now, then nothing at all.....

13. VanityHalfBlack

I'm hoping Chase brings out Yao so that he can jump over him and then he wins the dunk contest...