1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Van Gundy is at the top of the Rockets’ list of candidates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Apr 18, 2016.

?

Would you be okay with bringing Jeff Van Gundy back?

1. Yes — bring him back.

88.9%
  2. No — been there, done that.

11.1%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes please.

DD

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

How ironic it would be, first we got rid of a players coach who had Francis and Mobley ISO all day long and brought in JVG. Now we have Harden, got rid of a players coach who had Harden ISO all day long and...

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Clarence Weatherspoon too i think.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

My bad... I meant that he helped train Sean Payton, who Cowboys fans would take back as a coach in a second.

5. Badrose

Badrose Member

A) I don't really think JVG is even considering coaching again.
    B) With JVG Harden will be traded after the ASG, the two cannot coexist.
    C) We'll probably see the best from Howard.

If possible, bring him back

6. Coog4Rockets

Coog4Rockets Member

At this point, we need a guy who can come and bring a winning culture to the team that the players will respect. That's why I've been wanting either Thibs or JVG. Both of them have coached for years and won't take any BS from the players. I don't care that JVG doesn't have a great offensive scheme. He'll hopefully fix our main issues, which is chemistry and effort.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Might as well hire Mario Ellie as assistant and Rudy T as head scout!

When this team needs to evolve we wanna go backwards...its ****ing stupid

8. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Damn - this story drops as JB is coaching for his life in this playoff game.

9. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Biggest plus, Les saves a ton on shampoo.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rudy T should be President of Basketball operations and Morey reports to him.

:)

DD

11. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Atleast JVG has been around the game. Taking a long layoff could have been a positive for his coaching.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

One thing to keep in mind if you're skeptical of JVG. He frankly had sh-t to work with in terms of the roster in his 4 years here. The first season, he had Francis and Mobley still. Then when he did get T-Mac, that first season, Yao was still young and unpolished offensively. And the supporting cast was godawful til midseason. Then in 2006, injuries led to a lost season. And then in 2007, Yao got injured part of the year and the bench consisted of Deke, Juwan Howard, and Luther Head.

Ironically it wasn't til 2008 that they had real depth. And by then, the coach was Rick Adelman.

13. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

If we get Jeff back I would be sooooooooooo happy. It would make this miserable season worth it just to get him back.

I love his hilarious commentary and silly complaints about things in life in general, but whenever he announces our games he has insightful tidbits about what Harden needs to do differently in certain situations. He'd be the perfect coach to shape him into a team leader.

14. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Lol you are definitely right. I am still not writing that off for the future.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its similar... 1999-2002 Rudy would be crucified by this board, on a McHale x 1000 level.

Rudy himself admits that its not hard to be considered a great coach when you have one of the greatest players ever, in his prime, playing for you.

16. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Omg please happen

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

McGrady quit under Adelman, not JVG.

18. onreego

onreego Member

I'll give you that. He did coach the two differently. I just recall McGrady having a lot of criticism for his matador style defense. And I was a big McGrady fan until that Toronto game.

Don't get me wrong JVG is a great defensive coach—and would be A LOT better option than JB—but much of that is predicated on his slow down offense.

I'm sure Morey chasing a known name has much to do with Les but I really think we need to look at other avenues like a Messina from SA.

19. Victorious

Victorious Member

Yes please, we never had an effort problem with he was coach!!

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

JVG has a great record when it comes to turning players into leaders!!! Wtf is going on here?!?

Someone hire Carrol Dawson again! Hire Hakeem as head coach, hire maxwell as assistant!