1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Van Gundy is at the top of the Rockets’ list of candidates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Apr 18, 2016.

?

Would you be okay with bringing Jeff Van Gundy back?

1. Yes — bring him back.

88.9%
  2. No — been there, done that.

11.1%
  1. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

JVG defensive coordinator ... might as well sign Adelman as the offensive coordinator. Oh wait, this isn't the NFL. :grin:

But think about it. JVG (defensive mastermind) and Adelman (offensive mastermind) coaching togheter ... I'm dreaming too much, I guess.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Go ask the Memphis Grizzlies how they felt about their renaissance under "has-been" coach Hubie Brown.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rick Brunson! LOL. that's a nice pull!

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

People are complaining about Dawson bringing in vets? He was actually doing it right. The same way the Spurs do and actually legitimate contenders do. If this current team had vets we would probably have a fighting chance against the Warriors. Nope, Morey brought in low basketball Iq players who have no idea how to communicate with each other.

1 person likes this.
  5. basketballholic

Do you think jvv is now agreeable to run and gun basketball? Remember that was a big part is Les and Morey's explanation for not keeping him and opting for Adelman. They wanted more pace, speed, and ball/player movement.

6. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I would love this. This team needs an authoritarian.

7. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

We're getting the band back together!!!!!!!

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Bring back Gundy!

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

You would think outside of Harden that Howard, Ariza and Beverly are tops on JVGs list to stay if Durant can't be had.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't mind it

Don't get me wrong. Some of you are definitely imagining things, Jeff was an extremely flawed coach when he was here, he routinely made horrible decisions and couldn't coach offense for ****.

However, I think Jeff has since embraced the Moreyesque approach to the game. I think he knows to rely on Morey more for offensive strategy and absolutely will do that. If he brings the same defensive approach to the roster and trusts morey with offense and personel, then I think its a good match.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think JVG has gained some perspective in his years covering the entire league (and outside his Pat Riley coaching bubble). Also, more years of data now support that position.

But it's a fair reason for some skepticism.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

J-V-G He knows how to cook!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">JVG gets it. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBAonABC?src=hash">#NBAonABC</a><a href="https://t.co/qgE3FMYmLN">https://t.co/qgE3FMYmLN</a></p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/582231489674240000">March 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"JBB has been doing an excellent job with the Rockets. He's going to have a long, successful coaching career." -- JVG

Somewhere else, 'eh JVG!

14. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

The way JVG handled TMac did not give me hopes that he can handle JH. JVG is very tough to role players and coachable/tough stars. Did he ever public call out TMac? Did TMac become a better, tougher, more coachable player under him?

15. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

This would be the best thing ever. JVG is the most dedicated coach there is. He prepares more than anyone. People who are complaining in this thread are idiots.

16. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Was TMAC ever uncoachable? I mean he had his baby-like issues when coming back from injury. I think that is a tough example.

17. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

If DH happened to stay, JVG would make him an IMPORTANT part of offense... maybe not post ups but touches. And an involved Howard is a better Howard.

If he can bring someone in that is good with X's and O's that would be even BETTER.

I wouldn't mind this at all.

18. onreego

onreego Member

Did Van Gundy ever hold McGrady accountable for anything?

Yes, that's rhetorical.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

20. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Honestly at this point, I feel anyone is better than JBB.