1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj Tweet] Houston and Portland working teams hard to get #3 or #4 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moestavern19, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Sometimes Cousins can have his ups and downs, his potential ceiling is very high and if somehow the Rockets can nab him in the draft, he has the potential to carry his team in the future. Cousins is probably the best talent in this draft pool right now. So if the Rockets can get him at 4th pick, that will be great.

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

That would be great if he can. I think the 14th pick and usually picks below 10 are kind of worthless lottery pick of the draw type picks. If he has to spend the knicks picks and our 14th rounder to get into the top 3? That would be ok with me. Those picks are probably not that great if New York becomes a good team in the East. Which wouldnt be that hard with their salary money to pay free agents this year. Especially in a weak East where you be below 500 and make the playoffs.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We only have one Knick pick (2012). In 2011 we have the option of swapping our pick with that of the Knicks -- we don't get both. If the Knicks have a better record for the 2011 pick, we will let them have theirs and keep our own rather than swap.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

A: it's UK not KU.. the Jayhawk fans just put a hit out on you.

B: the key word in everything you said is "reputation"

C: not liking school doesn't make you a bad person

D: he's 19, you can still mold him to be a hard working player with those blue collar workers around him... do you honestly think that he would slack off if he saw how hard Yao works? No... he'd try to imitate those whom are around him... that's what happened here at UK - he saw how hard everyone else had to work in practice to get their opportunity and so he did what he had to.

E: draftexpress can put labels on people all they want - that doesn't mean they are right.

If he starts falling, and people take it as a sign, some team is going to get a possible all star later in the lotto... I just hope it's us.

5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

In 2008 Brook Lopez was projected as the 4th pick in many mock drafts, and on draft night he dropped all the way to 10th. The same thing could happen to Demarcus Cousins making it easier to go after him, for the Rockets... :grin:

--RB

6. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I think Morey has a trade lined up with the Nets if Turner does slip to #3. He will make them an offer they can't refuse. If that does not happen, he will probably work out a trade with Golden State.

Trade: Ariza, Taylor, Hill, Martin, and the 14th pick
    For: Maggette, Randolph, Ellis, and a top 6 pick

All of these players fit in the Warriors system, while saving them some money in this deal.

The Rockets get a top pick and a great player in Ellis.

Sign McGrady for some of the MLE.

Yao / Hayes / Andersen
    Scola / Randolph / Jeffries
    Maggette / Battier / McGrady
    Ellis / Budinger / (McGrady)
    Brooks / Lowry / (Ellis)

Don't forget the #6 pick.

7. Jet036

Jet036 Member

8. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

No, thanks

Turner I feel will turn out to be a poor mans Brandon Roy, he doesn't have some of the physical tools that Roy does, like Strength, Explosiveness & Athleticism!(which are some of the things that make Roy special)

But If he does fall to 4th he will not get passed Minny(who seem to be in love with this guy) thats for sure. In addition I hope the Kings with the 5th pick take Greg Monroe, making the acquisition of Demarcus Cousins much more easier to obtain. Through a trade with Golden State Warriors(6th pick) who's run-and-gun offense probably won't fit well with Demarcus Cousins & vice versa!

--RB

10. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I bet you would pick Rudy Gay over Evan Turner.

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

No, I would pick Cousins over Turner..... :p

--RB

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Production is an effect of hard work and talent. You can't have both and suddenly produce. It doesn't happen that way. So saying production is production is wrong because production is an end result of other factors.

Production in college isn't an indicator of pro success. Emeka Okafor burned through the college world, so much so that the Magic looked like idiots for getting DH. Also did you see the "production" Beaseley had in college? He averaged something like 20 rebs 30 pts. How do those guys look now?

My biggest concern with cousins would be his work ethic, and to me that's way bigger than anything else. His fat percentage in camp is 16.3% (fyi Shaq was 12.2% when he was to be drafted). This is supposed to be the biggest day of his life. And he can't even lose the weight? Yeah, that guy will definitely be motivated to work his ass off when he has guaranteed millions in the bank. To me he's starting to look like Eddy Curry v2.

13. worzel gummidge

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Isn't this Cousin's coach? Well what do you think he is he supposed to say about his own student? This is like asking a coke employee whether he likes to drink Coke or Pepsi.

15. eman

eman Contributing Member

Talking maturity makes me think of this: I'd love to see Anthony Randolph mature in a Rockets uniform. He could be our de facto #3 or#4 pick.

16. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Any team with assets would be smart to just see if you can get a deal in place to get Turner, if you want him. Doesn't mean it'll happen. The nice thing about this draft night deals is they are always contingent on how the draft order falls. The Battier for Gay deal only happened because Portland took Roy before we could get to him.

I can't say that I've looked too closely at the quality of the potential picks, but I like the idea of getting Turner to make Martin expendable. If Morey is sold on Bosh (I'm not), then I'd rather see something like Martin, Jeffries, (maybe Hill) and a pick go for Bosh then having to give up Brooks.

So what if it was:
    14th pick
    Battier
    on of the Kincks picks
    for
    3rd pick
    filler

Essentially 2 lotteries plus a vet for one lottery.

Then trade
    Martin,
    Jeffries,
    Hill
    knicks pick
    for
    Bosh.

Brooks, Lowry
    Turner, Taylor
    Ariza, Bud
    Bosh, Scola, Hayes
    Yao, Andersen, Scola, Hayes

Maybe not enough ball to go around...

17. nebula955

nebula955 Member

why are so many of you so eager to get rid of martin...?

18. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Why not? I'd trade Martin for a chance at Evan Turner. He would be much cheaper than Martin and have the potential to be a new perennial All-Star in this league. Can you imagine:

Brooks/Lowry
    Turner/Taylor
    Ariza/Budinger
    Bosh/Hill
    Yao/(Brad Miller?)/Hayes

That's a very good squad right there.

19. MONON

MONON Member

That goes a long way to ease my fears about his work ethic.

20. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

For all the trades we seem to be trying to pull, I think bringing Llull over here, now, would be a big F-ing deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.